Luthen Rael's Macrobinoculars from Star Wars: Andor Identified

the.rebel.agent

Sr Member
Luthen caracter is one of the most interesting and intriguing from the TV show. He has all sort of cool devices. This one, I was searching for since the very beginning. It was scavenged from a 70s Carl Zeiss Jena Microscope. Prop department added a different from lense and a pair a eye cups. Some greebles were added too.

Wasn't easy. Started looking for compact binoculars, later I found about astronomy BinoViewers, and finally microscope binoculars head.

Sadly, could not get a clean image from the eye cup yet.

Attachments

• rPhoto1__01.jpg
    rPhoto1__01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 320
  • s-l500__01.jpg
    s-l500__01.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 295
  • s-l1600__01.jpg
    s-l1600__01.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 237
  • s-l1600 (1)__01.jpg
    s-l1600 (1)__01.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20220928_065706.jpg
    IMG_20220928_065706.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 340
I just cannot believe how you find some of these parts. I follow you on IG and I'm like... How the heck did he figure that out???

At any rate: thanks!

I just cannot believe how you find some of these parts. I follow you on IG and I'm like... How the heck did he figure that out???

At any rate: thanks!
It is a combination of patience & time. First, figure out what you are looking at. Later, google it. Sometimes you got a dead end. Stop for a few days. Go back. That's my method.

As you will see, they removed the 2" microscope adapter and installed a new lens. I strongly believe they scavenged that from another s 8 camera. Camera image is just an example.

PS: If I am not wrong, that lever manages the zoom.

Attachments

• pentaflex8.jpg
    pentaflex8.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Detail.2.jpg
    Detail.2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • Detail.jpg
    Detail.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 111
I have yet to watch a episode but I really like this prop

What’s the microscope expensive?

I have been studying this lens topic more deeply. It seems to me, like you can see a shutter at the base of the lens, which means, can be from a Camera, not a video Camera. Do you see the same as I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_185039.jpg
    IMG_20221207_185039.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 84
Now we are talking. In that case, I am looking among vintage soviet lenses. They are M39 but Jena binocular is M42. I do believe they installed and adapter with a quick charger. That's the lever for. Just wild guessing...

Attachments

• jup_vs_jup.jpg
    jup_vs_jup.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 79
Was able to source mine l locally. Pretty excited for this build. Really like the obscure ones.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the microscope adapter. As to the lens and “focus arm”, it’s kind of interesting. The lens has a smooth stairstep look to it. I found a couple vintage Leica lenses that had a similar look, but I can’t imagine them spending that kind of money, so maybe a knockoff? Idk. It seems to me that most picture camera lenses have an optical element near the front surface of the lens but the example on the prop doesn’t.

My first thought about the arm was that maybe it was screwed into one of the three holes that you typically see if there are set screws that hold a lens cover or sun shield or color filter or something like that. But I only see the one arm and no other holes. Granted, it’s a blurry image. The graphics processor on my laptop isn’t powerful enough to give me a very clear resolution on screen captures. I’ll be curious to see if anyone else gets interested in this prop and sees what they come up with. Also, is that an “Imperial code disk” on the top?
IMG_4512.jpeg
IMG_4510.jpeg
IMG_4511.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back