Limited Run Luke's ROTJ Static Hero/Yuma/ISYHCANL Prop Replica Kit (2nd Run) *SIGN UP CLOSED*

Hello!
I am interested in the real-parts PCB if i can only buy that.
Regards Jonas
Hi! I’m interested in the real-parts PCB only, awesome work you have done!
Best regards Darthlarry
The PCB boards will definitely be available separately. I'll be setting up a separate unlimited run once this project is finished too. Cheers.

Thanks for your understanding everyone. Really excited about everything coming together over the next couple of weeks! :)

I'm excited about the PCB and am totally ok with the changes. Now I just have to decide exactly how much money your way!

Awesome work again Dave!

Definitely interested in a reveal PCB and perhaps a Hero box depending on how different the latter is from the 1st run.

Just posted an observation on the original PCB in the research thread that might be of interest btw.

Sounds great! You know the ISYHCANL shot included a blade. Your research is so fascinating
That's a really good point, Thomas. Thanks. It was a long one too! So must have been filled in after that. No way a single set screw would hold this straight with 10mm of tang:

vR-vGMjzG4-qlc6cKF843KdMjEhXs_EeBD9ra9xWDFo.jpg

Hi Dave
Having two from the last run and one of your others, I am game on for another hero kit please.
They are great.
Loving all the discussion and development.
J

Hi Dave
Having two from the last run and one of your others, I am game on for another hero kit please.
They are great.
Loving all the discussion and development.
J
Wow! that's great, Julian! Thanks for all your support. It's much appreciated! I'll get the list updated now.

Thanks again and all the best!

Dave

Hi Dave,
Everything looks awesome as always. I’m interested in one hero set, but is it possible to exclude the slothfurnace clamp card? I’d like the regular steel tri-ring and the new PCB.
thanks!
Mike

Hi Dave,
Everything looks awesome as always. I’m interested in one hero set, but is it possible to exclude the slothfurnace clamp card? I’d like the regular steel tri-ring and the new PCB.
thanks!
Mike
Hi Mike.

That's awesome, thanks! I can knock the cost of the clamp card off the price. Not a problem. (y)

I'll get you added to the list.

Cheers.

I'm currently AFK, but there's been a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes. There should be a big update coming on Monday. :)

*Update*

Hi everyone. Apologies for the delay to this update. I intended on posting it yesterday, but didn't get chance to write it all up properly until now... Anyway, as promised, here is a quick update on progress behind the scenes on this run. Still on schedule to place orders on 07/09/2020!

Triangles:

I have ordered the master for my new triangles. I've mentioned these before, but I actually ordered the part to be CNCd this week. This was a bit of an upfront cost to the run, but it will be well worth it to ensure that each triangle is identical in size and shape. I have had the master CNC'd in aluminium and will be making a silicone mould of this when it arrives. I’ll then be casting in clear resin with red and green pigments. The master will make for a nice memento after the run is finished, and will always be there should I need to make more in the future:

CNC.jpg

The triangles are obviously longer than they need to be on the master. Cutting them to length is easy. It's the shape that's the tricky part! :D

The final triangle/screw positions on the plate have been set too and the model/CAD for those has been sent to the manufacturer (awaiting quantity).

PCBs:

The PCBs have been an interesting journey! I can tell you that I've now placed the order for 100 boards! Half for the run, and half for a stand alone run that I'll be posting once they're ready. These are going to be beautiful! I've opted to have the layout printed in gold! The masked areas will show up as two tone green (as you'd expect). the exposed metal will be gold. The reason for this is that the additional gold overlays present on the original prop have been incorporated in to the board design, which I think is going to look great!

Here's a very rough Photoshop concept of the final design (*Component positions/sizes are subject to change*):

BOARD CONCEPT FINAL.jpg

Unfortunately, the cost of having these assembled as well as printed worked out WAY too expensive! This has forced me to think creatively about how to build up the components on the boards myself. I've sourced some real components, including the blue capacitor. I've also sourced some 10mm acrylic squares to represent the micro-controller. The connectors for this have been incorporated in to the board design, so it will look like the real deal.

To finish off the look of the controller, I’ve had the unusual logo/gold foil design found on the original prop printed on to 10mm foil labels. I’m REALLY chuffed with how these have turned out! It’s just a small detail, but it really makes a difference!

LABELS.jpg

I’ve tested it out here on a piece of PCB that I’d been messing around with (The layout of this board isn’t accurate to the original prop):

LABEL TEST.jpg

In addition to the real parts, and other bits, I’ve sourced some tiny neodymium magnets to represent some of the board’s features. I demagnetised these by heating them past their curie point. This aged them nicely too and added some interesting colouration (y):

MAGNETS.jpg

3D Modelling/Overlays:

For the past couple of weekends I've been out of the office, so a lot of the above research and development has been done away from my main computer. The PCBs have taken up a lot of that time. The testing of the various parts of the actual hilt has been pretty much 99.999% done for a while now. It obviously takes a little more time to compile the various updated sections in to one final model though, and to generate the shiny overlays to prove that everything is in ship shape. That's my next job! I'll be working on getting the model signed off this week and the final overlays completed. I plan on having a full set of new overlays ready in time for 01/09/20. I'm hopeful that the printed boards arrive before then too, so I can get a prototype put together before I begin confirming people's final orders.

As always, I'll try to keep you posted with my progress. Next update will be with the above mentioned overlays for your approval.

Thanks for all your support everyone, and MTFBWY! (y)

Dave

Dave- can’t wait for these, you can go ahead and update my spot from TBD to 1 hero kit + 1 body.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back