Luke's ROTJ "ISYHCANL" Yuma build (UK)

1580417667430.png

Dave, the above pic is what has swayed myself and others to go with, not just brass rails as opposed to copper, but also a blue circuit card with gold traces, since the traces seem to be the same tone as the rails. Without color correction, both the rails and traces seem to be in the gold family (which would include aged brass and antique gold), and with YOUR color correction they still BOTH appear gold.

BRRogers did a color correction that included much more red, enough to allow the consideration that both the rails and traces were copper in this scene. To be honest I can't say for sure which is correct, as color correction is by no means my area of expertise.

At any rate, the screen cap seems to indicate that the rails and traces should be in the same color family—either both gold, or both copper.

I REALLY wish we as a community could nail this coloration thing down for the ROTJ hero as it appeared on-screen. We have members creating this saber with varying combinations of aged brass/antique gold or copper neck, aged brass or copper rails, and copper or gold circuit traces. BRRogers and company are using copper rails and traces, while Anakin Starkiller sent brass rails, but is recommended a circuit card with copper traces, and this matches what you did. The most-recent official offering from Disney of this saber at Galaxy's edge has (in addition to a gold neck) gold rails and traces (even though the card substrate is incorrectly black).

This disagreement is driving me nuts.

Excellent work, btw!

Attachments

• 1580417563134.png
    1580417563134.png
    837.8 KB · Views: 194
View attachment 1252597

Dave, the above pic is what has swayed myself and others to go with, not just brass rails as opposed to copper, but also a blue circuit card with gold traces, since the traces seem to be the same tone as the rails. Without color correction, both the rails and traces seem to be in the gold family (which would include aged brass and antique gold), and with YOUR color correction they still BOTH appear gold.

BRRogers did a color correction that included much more red, enough to allow the consideration that both the rails and traces were copper in this scene. To be honest I can't say for sure which is correct, as color correction is by no means my area of expertise.

At any rate, the screen cap seems to indicate that the rails and traces should be in the same color family—either both gold, or both copper.

I REALLY wish we as a community could nail this coloration thing down for the ROTJ hero as it appeared on-screen. We have members creating this saber with varying combinations of aged brass/antique gold or copper neck, aged brass or copper rails, and copper or gold circuit traces. BRRogers and company are using copper rails and traces, while Anakin Starkiller sent brass rails, but is recommended a circuit card with copper traces, and this matches what you did. The most-recent official offering from Disney of this saber at Galaxy's edge has (in addition to a gold neck) gold rails and traces (even though the card substrate is incorrectly black).

This disagreement is driving me nuts.

Excellent work, btw!
Hi. Thanks. With my version, I've gone with aged brass for the rails. I'm fairly convinced that that's the material. Just based on my own observations of later iterations of the prop, along with the ISYHCANL shot. There just doesn't seem to be enough red for them to be copper (imo). As for the circuit board though, it seems unlikely to me that it would be anything other than copper, just on the basis of its conductive qualities. Gold or brass wouldn't be used in a functioning circuit board, and it's unlikely that the boards were made specifically for the prop. Not when there would have been existing items available. I can't say any of this with any certainty, obviously. Just my thought process when it comes to the control box. I've aged my brass strips with brass black, and although they haven't come out the same hue as the circuit traces, they're kind of a similar tone. I think it's just one of those things, like so many others, I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty. I've gone with what I believe to be the correct materials. I don't claim to be any more correct than anyone that might have come to a different conclusion. Each to their own. :)

Hi. Thanks. With my version, I've gone with aged brass for the rails. I'm fairly convinced that that's the material. Just based on my own observations of later iterations of the prop, along with the ISYHCANL shot. There just doesn't seem to be enough red for them to be copper (imo).

I agree on this.

As for the circuit board though, it seems unlikely to me that it would be anything other than copper, just on the basis of its conductive qualities. Gold or brass wouldn't be used in a functioning circuit board, and it's unlikely that the boards were made specifically for the prop.

Gold-plated circuit traces are common. They are actually placed on top of the copper, which still performs the conduction. Use of gold is especially common on the edge connector portion of the board, which portion the ROTJ card is made from. Here's an article for reference. Check out the board pictured. Blue, with nice fat gold-plated edge connectors: Gold Fingers and Their Use in the World of PCBs – PentaLogix Blog

MaxPixel.freegreatpicture.com-Module-Circuit-Memory-Apple-Pcb-Board-Book-Mac-1367032-766x500.jpg

So unfortunately it's not possible for us to rule out gold-plated traces that almost match in color the aged brass on the rails. It would have been very possible. I just wish we as a community could resolve this definitively so that we don't all have mismatched metal on our heros based on each person's opinion as to whether the dress was blue or white...:confused:

Sorry if I'm derailing your thread btw. You've done a fantastic job. This is just a significant detail to me that it seems we should be able to reach an agreement on.

Last edited:
I agree on this.

Gold-plated circuit traces are common. They are actually placed on top of the copper, which still performs the conduction. Use of gold is especially common on the edge connector portion of the board, which portion the ROTJ card is made from. Here's an article for reference. Check out the board pictured. Blue, with nice fat gold-plated edge connectors: Gold Fingers and Their Use in the World of PCBs – PentaLogix Blog

View attachment 1252768

So unfortunately it's not possible for us to rule out gold-plated traces that almost match in color the aged brass on the rails. It would have been very possible. I just wish we as a community could resolve this definitively so that we don't all have mismatched metal on our heros based on each person's opinion as to whether the dress was blue or white...:confused:

Sorry if I'm derailing your thread btw. You've done a fantastic job. This is just a significant detail to me that it seems we should be able to reach an agreement on.
I agree on this.

View attachment 1252768

No problem at all. I love talking about this stuff. That's actually something I didn't know. I just figured it's expensive and nonconductive, so wouldn't be used (an assumption on my part). You learn something new everyday. I stand corrected. :D

I'm still inclined to believe the connector in this case is copper. The traces are clearly darker and of a different hue to the side rails. One thing that I try to bare in mind when thinking about these things is surface direction. These surfaces are obviously facing in exactly the same direction, which makes life easier. Any difference in colour is 100% down to difference in the material rather than lighting.

20200131_063957.jpg

Image from 4K83

It's not exactly the bright orange you'd expect from new copper, but it's certainly darker and slightly more red than the brass. Copper ages extremely quickly in my experience. You can't even touch it without gloves.

It would be nice to know for certain like you say. Unfortunately though, the only evidence available at this point (for the ISYHCANL at least) is the actual footage of the scene, and a single b&w photo of the Vader stand in on set. I'd be the first one to jump for joy if anything new came to light.

The traces are copper. Yes, gold IS used on top of copper at the edges of circuit boards, where the board is inserted into a socket, but the ROTJ Hero board isn't from the EDGE of the board, or at least not the GOLD edge.

In the pic above, with Vader holding the ISYHCANL, the traces and the rails don't look exactly the same, to me. The rails look brighter, and the traces at either end of the card are very close to that tone. All the other traces are duller, like more oxidized copper than at either end.

Freshly polished copper can look EXACTLY like the rails and the traces at either end of the card in that shot.

Over time, that freshly polished copper will oxidize and dull, resulting in the way it looks today.

And DaveP, absolutely OUTSTANDING job! The finished hilt looks beautiful!!!

Just posted this over on the the project run thread, but realised it's probably more relevant here! Apologies to those seeing it twice!

Original Post:

So, the first of these has arrived safely with its new owner (in the UK). Several more are currently winging their way across the Atlantic!

Very happy to hear that said owner is "very happy" with their purchase! :)

The thing that I'm most proud of with this build is the accuracy of the 3D model, so I've been looking forward to getting around to doing a side by side comparison with one of the reference images.

Didn't quite manage to reproduce the exact lighting conditions here, but it does a fairly decent job of demonstrating the accuracy of the models' dimensions.

The boxes don't match obviously, as the reference image (Bottom) was taken after the prop was fitted out for the cave scene, but the main body is that of the Yuma and then the ISYHCANL.

The top image is one of the remaining hilts (Taken today).

There are still three of these available at this stage (possibly four).

Cheers,

Dave

COMPARISON.png

You really did do such an impressive and just outstanding job with your model, sir!

Really really really REALLY nice work, all 'round, BE PROUD!!

You've done a really impressive job here & no mistake. Well done DP.

You really did do such an impressive and just outstanding job with your model, sir!

Really really really REALLY nice work, all 'round, BE PROUD!!

Thanks, guys! Really is very much appreciated. (y)

I think I must be said owner! I took a couple of very quick pics of it alongside an Anakin Starkiller v2 and a Nicksdad Hero for comparison, and I think it comes out great. Dave did a really good job finishing these.

I'm loving these! Thanks, Dean. Really pleased that you're happy with it. It's great to see it along side these other builds too! Nice collection you have there. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back