Luke's RotJ Hero Lightsaber Build

tombotham1

Hello all.

This is my first project of this nature and first time on the site. I just got my old lathe working and wanted to do some projects to help me learn the skill of turning and thought of nothing better to make than a lightsaber. This started from "just a rough copy will do" to researching the different versions of Luke's saber to me now wanting every detail right, as unattainable as that is, I know. I started with looking at a few other designs people have made and massive variations between each one so I thought I'd make my own from reference material I found, and that's what brought me here. I'd heard of this sight from YouTube channels such as Adam Savage and I was not disappointed. The detail and accuracy you have all obtained is phenomenal!

With that said please take a look at some drawing and model I made with my start of the turning project on the lathe. I know there needs to be some changes to the pommel and control box as I've posted this on another thread. But anything that anyone notices or any constructive criticism would be muchly appreciated!

I will keep this thread updated with the process of my project.

Thank You, TWB

Attachments

• Hilt_Hero_Drawing.PDF
    90.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Part_Image.png
    Part_Image.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 123
Nice work man, looks great. You could always get a lathe milling slide for you machine so you can do milling operations on it.

well! looking great dude, is this your first saber project?

I ask because a) there are areas to improve if you want but b) if this is one of your first, really you need to be celebrated because it's phenomenal l seeing it all trimmed out!

well! looking great dude, is this your first saber project?

I ask because a) there are areas to improve if you want but b) if this is one of your first, really you need to be celebrated because it's phenomenal l seeing it all trimmed out!
It is my first lightsaber and one of the first things I've made on the lathe, and I can't tell you how happy I am with the results. But, I am some what of a perfectionist. So any improvement, even just so I know for future reference

Thank You, TWB.

I was thinking about this while i fixed thd9791's saber. For the cubes i would mark the cube locations, go in with and end mill down the center of each. Then setup so your cutting the angle of one side of each cube. Do them all and then switch to the opposite angle. 3 passes and lining up the location marks with a fixed point on your vise. My hands looked just like yours a couple days ago. Damn aluminum is a messy metal.

I was thinking about this while i fixed thd9791's saber. For the cubes i would mark the cube locations, go in with and end mill down the center of each. Then setup so your cutting the angle of one side of each cube. Do them all and then switch to the opposite angle. 3 passes and lining up the location marks with a fixed point on your vise. My hands looked just like yours a couple days ago. Damn aluminum is a messy metal.
Yeah, thats how I'd do it is I had a mill, however that's a luxury I don't have yet. I've paused the project until I get a mill tbh. And I've become used to those hands after spending the last 3 years restoring a Land Rover Series 3.

Thank you for the advice, TWB.

I forgot to answer this - the pommel angles and the shoulder of the grip rings are rather tall angles. if you still have material, I would soften the angle and shorten the upper grip shoulder. I'm not sure about the pommel, but it seems a little wide, when the saber lays on a table the pommel end isn't propped up very far. Emitter plate could be a bit thinner too

Good call on the different grip rings too, the thickest ones could be thinned a few mm too. let me drop some reference I've got stored away. Should show you how close you got with this first one! click for larger

295313_416642015054072_1353643102_n.jpgLFA_LukeHero_backhalf.jpgrotj3.jpgbox3.jpg

I forgot to answer this - the pommel angles and the shoulder of the grip rings are rather tall angles. if you still have material, I would soften the angle and shorten the upper grip shoulder. I'm not sure about the pommel, but it seems a little wide, when the saber lays on a table the pommel end isn't propped up very far. Emitter plate could be a bit thinner too

Good call on the different grip rings too, the thickest ones could be thinned a few mm too. let me drop some reference I've got stored away. Should show you how close you got with this first one! click for larger

View attachment 1429092View attachment 1429093View attachment 1429094View attachment 1429096
Thank you, I'll take this into account and edit my plans accordingly. ATM I'm waiting for an available mill or use of one to continue with the project.

Thank you, TWB

Hello all.

This is my first project of this nature and first time on the site. I just got my old lathe working and wanted to do some projects to help me learn the skill of turning and thought of nothing better to make than a lightsaber. This started from "just a rough copy will do" to researching the different versions of Luke's saber to me now wanting every detail right, as unattainable as that is, I know. I started with looking at a few other designs people have made and massive variations between each one so I thought I'd make my own from reference material I found, and that's what brought me here. I'd heard of this sight from YouTube channels such as Adam Savage and I was not disappointed. The detail and accuracy you have all obtained is phenomenal!

With that said please take a look at some drawing and model I made with my start of the turning project on the lathe. I know there needs to be some changes to the pommel and control box as I've posted this on another thread. But anything that anyone notices or any constructive criticism would be muchly appreciated!

I will keep this thread updated with the process of my project.

Thank You, TWB
what a fantastic build. I just got my first lathe and I'm thinking of this same project as my first.

what a fantastic build. I just got my first lathe and I'm thinking of this same project as my first.
Thank you for the reply, I'd be happy to send you some drawings. However, the satisfaction from your own research to a final piece is immeasurable so would advise that.

Thank you for the reply, I'd be happy to send you some drawings. However, the satisfaction from your own research to a final piece is immeasurable so would advise that.
If you could send me the drawings I would be pretty happy with that. I have enough research on how to use the lathe.
That and figuring out how to change my user icon...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back