Luke V2 lever

Yah those are vice grips, meant to be very tough! It's not very likely that one of these, as Brandon said, would be that small. Let alone, be broken apart in some way, as they are meant for heavy usage!

I still believe from early photos on-set the lever started off straight.
Regarding a tie clip; that’s one of the more promising categories (jewelry/ personal accessory); skinny ties would hone it in but what a mountain of hay, I’ve tried looking but it’s a pretty astoundingly large sampling from decades on decades.

can you doodle up or describe how you thought the lever looked before/after bending?
257C8407-338C-49AB-A9BD-EC9C5631C207.jpeg

This is an older picture before I softened the curves a bit but: red lines overlayed on my stamped lever- is (approximately) the side profile it had before being bent. ([in my stupidity...] I didn’t grab a pic beforehand)

Ref:
285E8C36-9B05-4DF5-8C5C-826E30F5E217.png

Last edited:
View attachment 1429522
This is an older picture before I softened the curves a bit but: red lines overlayed on my stamped lever- is (approximately) the side profile it had before being bent. ([in my stupidity...] I didn’t grab a pic beforehand)

Ref:
View attachment 1429529
Oh dear. is that the bts Obi Wan should shot?

To me this is important for the hunt for the original, because, unlike ski boot levers, we're hunting for a flat retaining lever

View attachment 1429522

Ref:
View attachment 1429529

Oh yeah, it was definitely straight. Except the end tip: I believe that was bend from the start. You can see the reflection in it in the Obi-wan picture. Maybe it happened during the install in a vise or a pair of pliers (by whomever and whenever it was installed) or maybe the bend tip was always there.

Well, this begs the question, if it started out flat, what exactly while being pinned to the clamp would cause it to bulge precisely in the shape that it is?

I just don't know if I'd call it straight based on what exists in photos at this time. And I also see slight curves in the photo...

Last edited:
Maybe they tried to force it to stay closed? I was always wondering why it is open and sticking out pretty much on all stunt pictures, even when they are fighting with it ... looks really uncomfortable thing to grip.

Honestly, without a sharp hinge, or a washer, a lot of levers on clamps can just stay straight when you try to clamp it all the way closed. the V2 lever specifically has a soft hinge curve, meaning there's no corner to snap it closed.

I understand the technical side of why it wouldn't close , I'm just puzzled that Alec didn't find it uncomfortable enough to make them fix it somehow.

My latest theory :
View attachment 1439420

Not sure how these are called, but are some sort of vintage hair clips. Plenty of variations - so maybe some are a better match than these
I got some clips like these from ebay and were really close, except that I could not find any that's not aluminum.
I mean close to this, not how it looks today:
1617139244702.png

But I think this that came with them is even better:

1617139160579.png

I think this is not perfect for sure, but so close that I plan to trim it a little and actually use it on my V2 when it gets ready :)

Okay, I found some more that look even closer. One thing hit me.. did they replace the rivet with the Gx rivet?

I assume they used a new rivet , or more likely something like a small nail or even piece of wire.
I'm actually wondering now how to remove it from its own rivet without messing it up...too much.

Nice find v312! That does look pretty close indeed! I'm curious when you installed it. Aluminium doesn't even sound that weird: if it got bend so easily while in use as a stunt, it wouldn't surprise me if the metal was rather soft.

What type of clips (or pliers) are these? How are these called?
Found it! curling tongs or hair crimper.

Last edited:
Nice find v312! That does look pretty close indeed! I'm curious when you installed it. Aluminium doesn't even sound that weird: if it got bend so easily while in use as a stunt, it wouldn't surprise me if the metal was rather soft.

What type of clips (or pliers) are these? How are these called?
Found it! curling tongs or hair crimper.
Yes, these are apparently for curling, in the listing they were mentioned as "hair curlers".

I made a quick conversion of one of the aluminum pins just to see if I can get it to look like the v2. I think it is quite soft and thin to actually work as a lever (I think the rivet will cut through it easily) ... also the way the actual v2 lever shines makes me think it is chromed or at least steel.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back