Luke V2 lever

NagorbArt

I've been looking for parts that could be possibilities for the V2s long clamp lever. i saw these bicycle seat post quick release clamps and thought they looked similar in functionality and size. These ones don't look like the lever but could be a vintage model of these that dose.

Not sure if anyone has thought of these before, so wanted to mention it

Anyone have any other insights on what the original lever could have been?

Attachments

• 20210121_104813.jpg
    20210121_104813.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 20210121_104917.jpg
    20210121_104917.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 201
I’m a hard core cyclist, been in it my whole life

The seat post lever is a good idea, but what’s even closer is a bicycle quick released skewers

Unfortunately I’ve looked all over and still can not find a skewer smaller enough..

And with the size.. the lever on the v2 would be too small to hold up strength wise on skewers or seat posts

:(

I still believe this to be a Folmer part we haven’t seen yet..

The seat post lever is a good idea, but what’s even closer is a bicycle quick released skewers

Unfortunately I’ve looked all over and still can not find a skewer smaller enough..

And with the size.. the lever on the v2 would be too small to hold up strength wise on skewers or seat posts

I did think if it was a bike part you would have been one of the first to look into it, i seen you are a cyclist from your videos.

Just wanted to throw the thought i had out there :)

Hopefully the part will be uncovered in future

Last edited:

I’ve been looking at all sorts of vintage camera equipment as well. Also fountain pen clips, tripod leg locking levers (or similar), gun parts, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum. No dice so far.

It looks crude enough, that if we found out it was quickly hand made with some sheet metal and tin snips, I wouldn’t be surprised. However I very much believe it was a found part.

I’ve been looking at all sorts of vintage camera equipment as well. Also fountain pen clips, tripod leg locking levers (or similar), gun parts, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum. No dice so far.

It looks crude enough, that if we found out it was quickly hand made with some sheet metal and tin snips, I wouldn’t be surprised. However I very much believe it was a found part.

It’s a mystery which perhaps hasn’t gotten as much love as the (formerly) mystery chunk, that’s for sure. Why would they need to scavenge a non-Graflex lever in the first place? Where did they find a lever and post with the exact same threading as a Graflex clamp? Or did they actually find a lever that they installed onto the Graflex lever’s existing threaded post? It’s all very strange! Is this some strange lever from another type of flash, or some bizarre, little- seen Graflex variant?

About all we have to work with is that it fits a Graflex clamp and that it presumably came from the UK (or at least was also available there at the time of production).

Well the threads on the clamp are 4-40 which is a very common thread. The idea that something that small would happen to have those threads isn't too far fetched in my opinion. Ski boots and sewing machines have similar parts, and the sewing machines are about the right size. I think the problem is that the lever could have been manufactured. I've seen graflex clamps where the lever itself sheared at the hole. It would be simple to take a lever the right size, drill a hole in it, and put a small pin into it and rivet it closed, using the same threaded rod even. Sewing machines are pretty darn common when it comes to prop making after all

It does not screw into the original clamp bar but to some chunk of metal. So thread could be anything, although it does look to be the same size as the original clamp (and that metal chunk looks similar to what is on the inside of the original clamp bar).

Most sewing machine parts (or for that matter, most anything with a thumb-lever) is typically bigger and thicker gauge than the long clamp lever.
A lot of the profiles are similar or bear resemblance however are much beefier due to the mechanical requirements, the same goes for most bike parts like frame shifters, cam locks for fly tying vices, air tools etc, they’re often quite fat. Until you get into daintier objects or precision objects the scale doesn’t resonate (or the finish quality, nickel plated)
Consider it’s not a thumb lever but rather a finger point lever just like the graflex.
Pen lighters, personal beauty items, etc... or cameras (obviously) and scientific instrumentation seem more on point to me.

There is also a chance that they simply lacked a clamp and had to make one in the shop based on other clamp levers, which I’ve found actually isn’t terribly difficult if you have metal forming experience.
7B389A46-23CB-4F74-A5D8-3A006DD182CF.jpeg

(photo of an example of sewing machine pressing foot lever)

I too am in the camp that believes it came from camera gear. Like the post above, something that size and thin isn't made for heavy applications like on a bike or ski boot (heavy in comparison). It's too clean to look like it was made from scratch and given the history of, say, just the mystery chunk, which was literally found under a boot, the lever most likely came from something they had on hand from production of the first film.

I’ve also seen a great deal of talk about vintage ski boot clasps:
Let’s dispel that one.
Looks good from ONE angle only (also way too big, hefty, solid metal)
17558F92-7BA6-4EC0-8B91-B676B12315F9.jpeg

Well the threads on the clamp are 4-40 which is a very common thread. The idea that something that small would happen to have those threads isn't too far fetched in my opinion. Ski boots and sewing machines have similar parts, and the sewing machines are about the right size. I think the problem is that the lever could have been manufactured. I've seen graflex clamps where the lever itself sheared at the hole. It would be simple to take a lever the right size, drill a hole in it, and put a small pin into it and rivet it closed, using the same threaded rod even. Sewing machines are pretty darn common when it comes to prop making after all

5-40 ;)

I'm certain it's some kind of camera attachment or piece, nearly everything else from this universe comes from vintage cameras. Could it perhaps be part of a old lens lock, or film can lock?

The idea of a Ski Boot lever came from the Bib Fortuna blaster, which actually uses one of those Boot Clasps.

I noticed this past week that we've nailed the profile of the lever but the 3D shape is different. It is square at the hinge but at the curve the real lever is much more rounded and folded looking. Very shiny lever, taken lots of abuse.

I've always thought they got the clamp this way. This seems like an aftermarket, off-brand or generic replacement for broken Graflex levers. You get the replacement lever and just the nut in a package that will keep your clamp closed? I also think the threading and size being close are quite the chance! I have seen a handful of weird levers on random flashes so it may be out there.

I kind of hope that it's hardware so we have a better chance of finding it.

It is very, very unlikely that this lever is something produced as 3rd party replacement part for this specific model of flashes. The original lever is durable enough and not something that you can easily lose. So I can't imagine there was any marked for such a part - otherwise today there will be a lot of ebay listings with missing or replaced levers and it is just not the case. And in addition from engineering point of view it is unnecessary big and weirdly shaped for the purpose .

It could have already been on the clamp when the production team got the parts for filming. Perhaps put on by a previous own of the clamp or the store the production got it from. Put on because the original lever was lost or damaged so it was still functional and sellable in the camera store. Then because of the different look to the lever the production team decided to use it for one of the stunts.

Just a theory:)

This could make it another piece of a different flash like yous are saying:)

Last edited:
It could have already been on the clamp when the production team got the parts for filming. Perhaps put on buy a previous own of the clamp or the store the production got it from. Put on because the original lever was lost or damaged ,so it was still functional and sellable in the camera store. Then because of the different look to the lever the production team decided to use it for one of the stunts.

Just a theory:)

This could make it another piece of a different flash like yous are saying:)

My exact belief

There also might be 2. The ANH Grafex Stunt sports a clamp and lever identical to the V2's when they were rehearsing on set for Empire. Could be the same clamp but doesnt rule out there may be 2. I think the jawa Graflite blaster has one of these clamps too. When i get home after lunch ill do a photo post

Here's another thing to consider:

-If the V2 lever was production made, why would they replace the Vader Silver Sidebars' joint with a bent nail and not with a custom replacement lever?

or

-If it was an aftermarket replacement commonly available, why would Silver Sidebars need a bent nail and not have a replacement lever?

Honestly I have no idea what it could be at this point, but I'm sure we'll find it eventually!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back