Luke Skywalker RotJ Duel WIP

Egon

Sr Member
Hey all,

About to finish up my RotJ Luke Skywalker and wanted to post a little show off thread.

I have a few tweaks I am going to make to the fit, mostly slimming the trousers, but other than that, I will upgrading my glove and wig.

The tunic is made from a black cotton twill and a white/parchment linen interior bib. I know the screen used was light grey, but that proved to be nearly impossible to find. This tunic was made to wear open, so I don't have the snaps in place on the bib. Looking through the reference, it seemed like the tunic had shoulders that were pretty far forward, and I did my best to mimic the back center seams.

The trousers are a stretch twill with satin tux stripes and riding seam. They are high waisted, and I may even add some velcro to the band to hold the belt in place.

The belt is 8oz veg tanned leather with a laser cut buckle I designed. The pouch is 4 oz veg tanned leather that is one piece, stitched on the sides and burnished - fitted with chicago screws to secure the bottom like the riveted original.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Luke RotJ Full Frontal 2 copy 2.jpg
    Luke RotJ Full Frontal 2 copy 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4,295
  • Luke RortJ Belt and Tux copy.jpg
    Luke RortJ Belt and Tux copy.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2,267
  • Luke RotJ Back Seams 2 copy.jpg
    Luke RotJ Back Seams 2 copy.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 887
  • Luke RotJ Back Seams copy.jpg
    Luke RotJ Back Seams copy.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 801
  • Luke RotJ Bib collar and Shoulder Details copy.jpg
    Luke RotJ Bib collar and Shoulder Details copy.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,652
Very nicely done.

The belt on the Luke ROTJ costume at the “Star Wars: Power Of Costume” exhibit that I attended last year, in Denver, was heavily weathered and very dark brown / black. Is the correct “filming” Luke Jedi Belt very dark brown or black, and was it this weathered in the film (it didn’t appear to be and looked like a new belt in the film, to me)?

09935A93-4A44-48F3-B052-BD01F4FB1E78.jpeg

540D4C2C-4811-4E7C-B216-1DD008585147.jpeg

AA95E19C-E875-46A6-A272-A62FF74A671E.jpeg

D5C4970F-5D6F-4AEF-AF86-F9F77306C99B.jpeg

50638524-C616-404D-9E98-1D5F2D162B03.jpeg

Last edited:
From my understanding it was brown and then dyed black over that. When weathered it revealed the brown underneath. I got a good look at this costume up close in NYC at the same exhibit. My personal favorite from the entire series and Egon my friend you have certainly done it justice!

From my understanding it was brown and then dyed black over that. When weathered it revealed the brown underneath. I got a good look at this costume up close in NYC at the same exhibit. My personal favorite from the entire series and Egon my friend you have certainly done it justice!

Agreed. To me it looks like a brown belt dyed/painted black. Most of the references photos I've seen look like a black belt. If i remember correctly, the rebel legion standards say a black belt.

Looks pretty cool, very well done! Are you going to add the outer tunics at any point?

Looks really great! Nice work!

As a side note, I really wish I'd read this thread before I dyed my jawa bandolier black...

As for the belt, I suspect the screen used one was (like many of the props in the original films) a repurposed Luke ESB belt with the extra pouches and holster removed. It was dyed black and the buckle weathered with either black paint or aluminum black to have it better blend in with the rest of the costume.

Egon I love how you captured the shoulder yoke on your shirt and the riding seam on the pants which is such a hard element to capture just right but I think you really nailed both. You should be very proud of this costume. You've done a fantastic job!

As for the belt, I suspect the screen used one was (like many of the props in the original films) a repurposed Luke ESB belt with the extra pouches and holster removed. It was dyed black and the buckle weathered with either black paint or aluminum black to have it better blend in with the rest of the costume.

I agree with this theory.

Hey guys!

Thank you for all the kind words!

I am still probably going to take the trousers in a bit around my thighs, and I am hoping to give the buckle a shake in the tool box to weather it a bit. Looking at for a couple days now, I may even size up my buckle a bit and have another one laser cut. I am...a lot more square...than Mark hah, so the proportions might need to be adjusted (also why I haven't yet added darts to the back of the tunic as I am afraid I'll never get out)

You know how it is when the costume becomes wearable, you just gotta put it all on!

The belt itself on this one was dyed straight black. I was doing another one for someone along side this one, and on their belt, I did dye it brown first then black, then cover it with the acrylic sealer. With mine, I am going to let it weather a bit naturally, and then maybe do some walnut dye over it to make the color a bit richer!.

If anyone has recommendations on a glove maker (I think museum replicas is sold out) I would greatly appreciate it!

Agreed. To me it looks like a brown belt dyed/painted black. Most of the references photos I've seen look like a black belt. If i remember correctly, the rebel legion standards say a black belt.

Looks pretty cool, very well done! Are you going to add the outer tunics at any point?

I believe the RL do require black as well. Looking at some stills from the film, it looks weathered, but not as heavily as it appears now (as a lot of props/costumes want do)

I would LOVE to add the outer tunic at some point. It would also make it easier before I can get a proper glove hah.

Egon I love how you captured the shoulder yoke on your shirt and the riding seam on the pants which is such a hard element to capture just right but I think you really nailed both. You should be very proud of this costume. You've done a fantastic job!

Thank you! I really appreciate that! This has been a really important costume for me to recreate as I love Luke's arc in the OT so much. This one is tricky too because of my body type (just a lot wider than Mark was hah) AND they had so many different tunics that fit differently and were constructed differently. The collar especially. Some looked to totally close, some had a gap of at least1.25 inches, some bibs went almost all the way to the shoulder yoke, some didn't.

Thankfully I have a lot of experience with the riding seam with how many Solo trousers I have done at this point!

Very nice take on the Jedi Luke costume!

I think the belt needs to be black with brown weathering. It breaks up the Stark black and adds character to the look. Makes Luke look like he's not just sitting on is butt all day. I need to upgrade my belt. The buckle is slightly off in shape and the saber hook is to big.

Would this glove work for you?

Also if you are in need of fabric for the wool robe and Vest with stole and obi, I have a beautiful wool blend that very, very close to the real thing and a raw silk that is dead on to the real thing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back