Luke ROTJ Yuma Metal Stunt saber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Caine Drathul, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Caine Drathul

Caine Drathul New Member

I know that a run of these was done on here by Anakin Starkiller, but I haven't been able to find any pics.

I did an LED one with parts from the Custom Saber Shop. No sound in this one, but one heckuva dueler.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyways, your pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. TridCloudwalker

TridCloudwalker Sr Member

Hi Caine! It's Aaron from Cap City Jedi.

You're looks amazing, especially for MHS pieces!

Here's a pic of my Anakin Starkiller, though the (unfinished) Hero box is currently attached to it. The Yuma box is still packed away.
    [​IMG]

3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi there,

Here's my Anakin Starkiller ROTJ HERO :

[​IMG]

Here's the original :

[​IMG]

-Chaim

4. Caine Drathul

Caine Drathul New Member

Those look great!

And hey, Aaron! Yeah, it was a fun one to build. The simple Yuma box that Acerocket did makes all the difference, eh?

I weathered it to match this pic, and think it looks pretty close

[​IMG]

5. TridCloudwalker

Are you going to add the Yuma activation switch that the arrow is pointing out?

6. Caine Drathul

Caine Drathul New Member

No, I decided to keep it the way it was because to me it looks like two countersunk screws.

If I decided to do another one with sound, I will put the switch in the box...hard part is though, the machinist who made them has no more left. I can use a standard TCSS box style 1, but it won't look 100% right.

7. TridCloudwalker

No no, I'm not talking about the countersunk screws (and yes, that's what those are...and brass). On the side of the box there is actually an activation switch. I was shown a 1524 x 2519 hi-res version of that photo. You can see every little chip and scrape, and a long, thin activation switch with beveled corners. Anakin Starkiller included one with his kit. I'd take a pic for you, but I lost the tiny part.

8. Caine Drathul

Caine Drathul New Member

Oooh, I would be interested to see that pic. You still have access to it?

9. TridCloudwalker

Unfortunately, I do not. But AS's was pretty spot on. Hopefully someone has a photo of their AS Yuma box they can share.

10. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Necro post! just throwing this idea out there - the Yuma stunt in the pic above under Mark's chin - are we sure the grip rings are beveled on the edges? The way the shadows are cast, it looks like the black in between is flat. (Except for the shoulder)

11. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

That Yuma is also the saber Luke has when he gets shot in the hand. Was just looking at that shot wondering about the box. My question answered!

12. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The saber body on this prop is the exact same one as the hero saber. This is 100% confirmed.

Dan

13. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are some beautiful sabers :thumbsup :)

14. thd9791

Ah, well, thanks Dan! mine eyes deceive me

wait..how? I thought the Yuma stunts were all missing lol

15. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have had access to a high res photo of the prop during it's use in Yuma. (Unfortunately I cannot publish it). But, from examining this photo, you can see that the dimensions match on both sabers, and in particular, the idiosyncratic positioning of each grip ridge and the angle of the ridges is the same.

16. thd9791

huh, well that makes sense :lol goes to show how much pictures can seem subjective. cool though, thanks Dan. i appreciate it

17. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

OK corrected. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  18. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

It was not used in the Luke and Vader duel. The Yuma stunt was made by ILM for shooting in the US (after filming the duel in the UK). It became the ROTJ hero with the removal of the blade and addition of the circuit board. It appears in the close up shot in Vaders hands. That was an insert filmed at ILM.

19. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

To clarify the Yuma stunt is only in two of those pics (bottom right, V1card). The one labeled V2 is the V2 saber during the Ewok village scenes. The "angled silver button" is a Graflex lever- probably the Shared Stunt.

20. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

So what is this saber? Is this what was the Yuma metal stunt?

[​IMG]

21. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Here is the yuma rubber stunt i guess? This one clearly has a graflex lever

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Shingouki28

Shingouki28 Well-Known Member

The saber in the perspex cradle is a resin cast of the hero.

23. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

That is a resin casting of it after the Hero mods.

24. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

That's the Shared Stunt. Some speculate that it may be a casting of it - to explain its dull appearance during that scene. Castings have not been confirmed.

25. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

That one and the one from when he jumps from barge to barge have bent emitters so i guess its resin or rubber.

Edit , here is the bent emitter from when he jumps

[​IMG]

26. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

It may be resin or rubber. I forgot that the nipple on the Shared Stunt emitter was removed before it left the UK.

The emitter could also be bent in those pics because it was a separate piece on the Shared Stunt and V2 (the skinny neck under the emitter is wrapped in tape).

27. Shingouki28

Shingouki28 Well-Known Member

Is there any chance it could be a lightweight wooden hilt? Am I right in thinking the masters for the V2 and stunts were wooden? The picture of him scrabbling up the side of the barge, the forward rings and neck look like duffed up scratched flakey painted wood to me.

28. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was the Yuma saber neck painted in the same color as the hero? It's copper, right? Not brass.

29. thd9791

As far as I'm concerned it was copper too. If it were brass I feel like it wouldn't contrast as much with the environment they were filming in.

That "Barge Climbing saber" While having the details of a graflex clamp, It looks to be all one solid piece. I do believe it was a cast of something with a nipple and a graflex clamp. I can't for the life of me explain the terrible paint job - considering the black on the emitter, grip and "booster" section, this could be a cast from late ANH era.