Luke ROTJ reveal saber showoff

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When I first got this saber last year, I had opted for the unfinished version - I'm perfectly capable of painting stuff and it also saved me a few bucks. After some minor disassembly, fastidious paint application, and reassembly I had a nice finished piece:

402142052.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, but a couple things just kinda' bugged me about it... First, it was simply TOO clean - it just didn't seem "real." Second, I also wasn't too thrilled with the crystal - I thought it should be something more like a natural crystal, rather than a faceted "jewel."

402142053.jpg

So after pondering these things for a while, I started searching and keeping an eye on eBay for "double terminated" quartz crystals. The challenge was not only in finding an interesting-looking crystal, but in finding one that was the right size - obviously it couldn't be any larger than the chamber that it would have to fit into. I found a dealer in China who regularly sold what I was looking for in various sized lots - anywhere from 4 to 10 crystals in a lot. Unfortunately the range of crystal lengths in the descriptions were rather generalized and vague - I had to guess based on the pictures and hope for the best, basically. Thankfully the crystals were pretty darned cheap, so if I ended up with something that I couldn't use it wouldn't be a big deal. So after several weeks of watching this guy's auctions, I bought a few crystal lots. Some were better than others - in terms of shape and condition - but I had some good options. The one that I really liked and wanted to use turned out to be a bit too long :unsure: So in the end I had to go with a second choice.

402142054.jpg

With the crystal problem sorted, my next task was to age down all of the bright and shiny aluminum and brass. I saw that Rylo had weathered a couple of these using Easy-Off oven cleaner, so I thought I'd give it a try. After disassembling the saber into its component parts, I began with the emitter first, thinking that it might be best to start small and see how things went. I also kind of tested as I went along, only leaving the oven cleaner on for a few minutes to begin with, and then re-applying it and leaving it on for longer and longer periods of time. I also used Birchwood Casey aluminum black in some areas, to give the effect of dark staining and grime. I applied it in various ways, depending upon where I wanted it - flooding it on with a small paintbrush, wiping it on with a rag, or simply dipping the whole part into the solution. I didn't leave the aluminum black on for very long before rinsing it off, and I immediately buffed most of it off with superfine steel wool. I ammonia fumed the brass parts (for approximately 6 hours) to knock down the bright shine and I found that the aluminum black also turns brass a nice dark brown color. The brass parts were also buffed with steel wool.

402142055.jpg

402142056.jpg

402142057.jpg

402142058.jpg

402142059.jpg

402142060.jpg

402142061.jpg

402142062.jpg

402142063.jpg

I airbrushed the crystal that I chose to use with a mixture of Tamiya clear, and equal parts Tamiya clear green and clear yellow. I also attached it to a short length of clear acrylic rod for a stand-off - I wanted it to be aligned with the center axis of the saber, rather than being stuck down in the very bottom of the chamber.

402142064.jpg

402142065.jpg

402142066.jpg

It's funny - I was never really a fan of the Luke ROTJ saber and never had the desire to own an example. But after seeing the beginnings of the project that eventually resulted in these sabers - with all of the cool "reveal" features - I knew that I had to have one. I think it might actually be my new favorite saber :) And my Original Trilogy saber collection is finally complete. Thanks Rylo! (y)

Last edited:
Wow! Nice weathering Job! I should have jumped on the Rylo reveal I saw on ebay a couple weeks ago, but I have the EFX version, so while not to that level of quality I still like it.

Awesome saber!

That weathering is just right. When I read you decided to weather it I kinda winced, but you nailed it. Subtle, believable, and the crystal looks great as well :thumbsup

yea the weathering really makes it man. What type of paint did you use for the black and copper? What techniques did you use to weather it, and mask different parts off? liquid mask or tape?

That weathering is just right. When I read you decided to weather it I kinda winced, but you nailed it. Subtle, believable, and the crystal looks great as well :thumbsup

I had the same reaction. I really like how much depth the weathering adds to the grenade internals. The details really pop!

Great weathering to make it look like it's been handled and used a few times, but not so much that it would look like the beaten up V2. That's what makes it stand out.

fantastic weathering job! The reveal, to me is much more like the Yuma metal stunt, my favorite and the "hero" for me and my childhood. This really looks like it was thrown around for years and used. Nice work

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I didn't want to go too far with it - so no kicking it down the driveway or sandpaper for me. I just wanted the aluminum to look old and oxidized and a bit dirty.

yea the weathering really makes it man. What type of paint did you use for the black and copper? What techniques did you use to weather it, and mask different parts off? liquid mask or tape?
For the original paintjob, I used Krylon semigloss black on the foregrip. No masking - after I painted it, I took the grip and chucked it up in one of the lathes at work and used a fine grit emery board to sand/polish the paint off of the ribs, leaving the bare aluminum.

There is no copper paint - the neck piece is brass and a combination of the ammonia fuming, Easy-Off, and aluminum black is what gave it its present coloring.

The weathering techniques are in my original post.

Looks cool!

The jewel came out looking pretty good as well. The original one was kinda... meh looking.

Love the weathering job!
Chris

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back