Luke ROTJ reveal saber showoff

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by D48thRonin, Apr 17, 2012.

1. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When I first got this saber last year, I had opted for the unfinished version - I'm perfectly capable of painting stuff and it also saved me a few bucks. After some minor disassembly, fastidious paint application, and reassembly I had a nice finished piece:

402142052.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, but a couple things just kinda' bugged me about it... First, it was simply TOO clean - it just didn't seem "real." Second, I also wasn't too thrilled with the crystal - I thought it should be something more like a natural crystal, rather than a faceted "jewel."

402142053.jpg

So after pondering these things for a while, I started searching and keeping an eye on eBay for "double terminated" quartz crystals. The challenge was not only in finding an interesting-looking crystal, but in finding one that was the right size - obviously it couldn't be any larger than the chamber that it would have to fit into. I found a dealer in China who regularly sold what I was looking for in various sized lots - anywhere from 4 to 10 crystals in a lot. Unfortunately the range of crystal lengths in the descriptions were rather generalized and vague - I had to guess based on the pictures and hope for the best, basically. Thankfully the crystals were pretty darned cheap, so if I ended up with something that I couldn't use it wouldn't be a big deal. So after several weeks of watching this guy's auctions, I bought a few crystal lots. Some were better than others - in terms of shape and condition - but I had some good options. The one that I really liked and wanted to use turned out to be a bit too long :unsure: So in the end I had to go with a second choice.

402142054.jpg

With the crystal problem sorted, my next task was to age down all of the bright and shiny aluminum and brass. I saw that Rylo had weathered a couple of these using Easy-Off oven cleaner, so I thought I'd give it a try. After disassembling the saber into its component parts, I began with the emitter first, thinking that it might be best to start small and see how things went. I also kind of tested as I went along, only leaving the oven cleaner on for a few minutes to begin with, and then re-applying it and leaving it on for longer and longer periods of time. I also used Birchwood Casey aluminum black in some areas, to give the effect of dark staining and grime. I applied it in various ways, depending upon where I wanted it - flooding it on with a small paintbrush, wiping it on with a rag, or simply dipping the whole part into the solution. I didn't leave the aluminum black on for very long before rinsing it off, and I immediately buffed most of it off with superfine steel wool. I ammonia fumed the brass parts (for approximately 6 hours) to knock down the bright shine and I found that the aluminum black also turns brass a nice dark brown color. The brass parts were also buffed with steel wool.

402142055.jpg

402142056.jpg

402142057.jpg

402142058.jpg

402142059.jpg

402142060.jpg

402142061.jpg

402142062.jpg

402142063.jpg

I airbrushed the crystal that I chose to use with a mixture of Tamiya clear, and equal parts Tamiya clear green and clear yellow. I also attached it to a short length of clear acrylic rod for a stand-off - I wanted it to be aligned with the center axis of the saber, rather than being stuck down in the very bottom of the chamber.

402142064.jpg

402142065.jpg

402142066.jpg

It's funny - I was never really a fan of the Luke ROTJ saber and never had the desire to own an example. But after seeing the beginnings of the project that eventually resulted in these sabers - with all of the cool "reveal" features - I knew that I had to have one. I think it might actually be my new favorite saber :) And my Original Trilogy saber collection is finally complete. Thanks Rylo! (y)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    3 CELL PO likes this.
  2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nicely done!

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Beautiful saber! My favourite design, actually.

4. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Nice weathering Job! I should have jumped on the Rylo reveal I saw on ebay a couple weeks ago, but I have the EFX version, so while not to that level of quality I still like it.

Awesome saber!

5. subaru

subaru Member

Wow, very Nice work, I love it.

6. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love the weathering job you did. I'm off to pick up some ammonia at lunch.

7. Rymo

Rymo Well-Known Member

That's beautiful. Well done.

8. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

Great weathering, it looks fantastic. And I love the crystal.

9. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Beautifully done. :thumbsup

10. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

That weathering is just right. When I read you decided to weather it I kinda winced, but you nailed it. Subtle, believable, and the crystal looks great as well :thumbsup

11. avbat

avbat Active Member

yea the weathering really makes it man. What type of paint did you use for the black and copper? What techniques did you use to weather it, and mask different parts off? liquid mask or tape?

12. yeek

yeek Member

Wow, really impressive...fantastic weathering job!

13. KidL

KidL Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction. I really like how much depth the weathering adds to the grenade internals. The details really pop!

14. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

Awesome work!

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Great weathering!!!

16. Jerome

Jerome Active Member

Great weathering to make it look like it's been handled and used a few times, but not so much that it would look like the beaten up V2. That's what makes it stand out.

17. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

fantastic weathering job! The reveal, to me is much more like the Yuma metal stunt, my favorite and the "hero" for me and my childhood. This really looks like it was thrown around for years and used. Nice work

18. D48thRonin

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I didn't want to go too far with it - so no kicking it down the driveway or sandpaper for me. I just wanted the aluminum to look old and oxidized and a bit dirty.

For the original paintjob, I used Krylon semigloss black on the foregrip. No masking - after I painted it, I took the grip and chucked it up in one of the lathes at work and used a fine grit emery board to sand/polish the paint off of the ribs, leaving the bare aluminum.

There is no copper paint - the neck piece is brass and a combination of the ammonia fuming, Easy-Off, and aluminum black is what gave it its present coloring.

The weathering techniques are in my original post.

19. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks cool!

The jewel came out looking pretty good as well. The original one was kinda... meh looking.

Love the weathering job!
    Chris

20. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I was doing some searching today and came across this.

Awesome work. Looks incredible. Both Rylo's work and your tweeks.

Tom

21. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

That's the exact saber ....I will be wanting in my collection....wow...gorgeous... This is the version I love more then any other....that's amazing work

22. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

All you need is about $1,800 and a lot of time

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  23. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

OK ...well...maybe not then...hahahaha...

24. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Perfect job on the weathering. It's done just right, & not over the top. Great job :thumbsup

25. D48thRonin

Thanks guys :)

I actually had this saber out just the other day, admiring it (I tend to revisit it from time to time). I'm itchin' to get started on my V2, so this one is good inspiration. I just wish Roman would hurry up, as the Graflex clamp is the only thing that I'm missing (I have a spare 3 cell, but I'm hesitant to sacrifice it just for the clamp).

26. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

"Out the other day" You must have it out always.

My EFX Luke reveal is the first and last thing I see each morning and night,...well almost as I check sites in the morning first thing and last thing at night and it's next to my desk.

You can't ever put props away. They must be displayed, played with and held with love.

Tom

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  27. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Not neccessarily.

I have a good amount of real part blasters, but they are now stored in a pile on a part of my basements workbench.
    No idea why, but I lost a big amount of my interest in them due to the fact that there are now to much replicas out there, or coming soon. They are to common to be special, now.

I´m afraid same can/will happen with my lightsabers with all the planned part runs.

28. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

You have lost interest in props you like because there are too many other versions owned by other people??????

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  29. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Aye.

For example - a ANH Solo Blaster was something special for me. Once, cause it was rare.

Now, with hundreds or thousands out there - it´s way more boring. One day i will be taking that pile and store it in my basement in boxes on shelves.

Don´t understand me wrong, i still will keep it, my Wetzlars, other parts - and also will buy more as soon as i have a good opportunity ..... but i´m not that much thrilled by it as i was once it was rare. That days it made me feel a little bit Han Solo when handling it, now it´s just a metal decoration piece. Still somehow nice, but.....

I love my DV ROTJ stunt build on a real Graflex. Not sure if i can keep that feeling when they pop out at every corner. ANH and ESB already went down a good way on my personal "like" list.

30. D48thRonin

For me, it's a matter of space - just not enough room for *everything*.

My all-real-parts Obi Wan is on permanent display - I never get tired of looking at it... and marveling at how all of the various parts remarkably fit together perfectly.

I've been thinking maybe I should get in the habit of rotating the pieces in my collection, display-wise.

And for me, I don't think I'll ever get tired of my sabers, even "with all the planned part runs," because all of mine (with the exception of the ROTJ sabers) are all comprised of real vintage parts. There will always be something special about that.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  31. jkno

jkno Master Member

Personally the rarity of an item never affected the way I collect. If I like it, I get it, if not, it could be the rarest thing on Earth and wouldn't care less. Also I think having a replica made of original parts will always be better than a regular replica, even if the latter is licensed. So if you own a prop replica made of genuine parts, you shouldn't be tired of it no matter what other replicas are out there, and not just throw it in some boxes in the basement, instead proudly display it as being the closest thing to what was used on screen.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  32. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

If i don´t like it, it doesn´t bother me if it´s rare or not - i´m just not interested in it.

And i agree that i believe my real parts are "better" than any replicas, many of todays cnc replicas in fact look wrong for me from a close distance, even with perfect measurements (it´s the small tool marks/to perfect without the tiny irregularities that ruin the illusion for me) - but seeing a build thread once or twice a year (due to part rarity) made looking at it special for me, seeing one or two a week makes it boring. And due to that feeling of "always" seeing it, looking at another one (even my real ones) makes it less thrilling.

But i still love to look at build threads of those more strange/unloved SW props - hoth-scanner, macro-stunt or Holyday special saber, such things that not everyone builds/owns.

33. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I like what I like no matter what. Like JKNO said there could be a million or just one and I could care less. I say the more the merrier, but I hear ya.

There are about 10 known Blade Runner Deckard Vidphones in the world and I have built five or six of them.

I fell in love with the Vibro Axe because it was a super cool prop only a few people made. Again I have only seen about 10 to 12 accurate ones and I have built about 7 of them.

Both of these I should say were only possible because of other peoples amazing work and research.

I am also always looking for cool props no one else is interested in. Makes it a lot easier to find parts :)

I love real parts, replicas, and any combination there of.

I just never let what other people have or do affect what I like. I like what I like whether it's super popular or not.

Joe Versus the Volcano is a Cinematic Masterpiece as far as I am concerned.

Tom

34. 3 CELL PO

3 CELL PO Active Member

I like the crystal finish, the saber as a whole too of course. Something to aspire to.