Luke ROTJ CUTAWAY (*Added more pics*)

Cool update joatrash. All the parts seem to fit together in a 'functional' sort of way... I especially dig the way you have your crystal situated. :thumbsup

The parts in the pic are from the following:

a computer (parts from motors and ball bearing axles from disk drives)
a 1960's Triumph car engine
a vintage Super 8 camera
brass tubing and various springs
an eraser cap from a pen (the glass dome)
quartz crystal

Well, I was hoping to be done by now but I had a major setback today. I'm sort of a perfectionist and this saber is going to be powered by a tiny lithium battery instead of clumsy AAAs (like my Vader) so I had built BOTH halves of the end (hand wheel) with one of them showing some "internals" to be used as a cover. I put a small hinge on it so you could just swing it open to replace the battery. Problem was I couldn't get it perfectly aligned. It was off just a tiny bit and I just couldn't live with it so I ripped that sucker out and built a cylindrical "cutaway" cover out of the same copper and perforated aluminum that I used on the Vaders. I made it closed, with no open back end like before and there will be a small screw to remove to get at the battery holder. (Happily enough it looks better than with the entire handwheel.)

Didn't have time to take any pics. (The 2-part epoxy glue is still curing as I write this.) Now I need some sleep... :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Jan 22 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]1402724[/snapback]</div>
AWESOME... Where might I ask do you canibalize part from? Looks like from old clocks with some brass tubing to boot.

The cutaway sabers are by far the coolest thing to revolutionize saber collecting. Keep up posted :thumbsup

Steve
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yodasan @ Jan 24 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]1403697[/snapback]</div>
Very promising there Joe. Are you thinking of doing another very limited
run - ?
[/b]

No runs for this one. I'd really like to but it's taken so long just to get this one piece done and that's after working on it basically every day. For the Vaders I was able to work out a few time-saving tricks to get them done, but this sabre has been one "special case" after another. So if this goes up for sale (which is likely) I don't think I'd make another unless I found some way to make it easier.

In fact... I've already started planning my next cutaway, which will be completely different. It's gonna be Sith-themed (and it isn't Maul's). ;)

/Joe F

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joatrash @ Jan 23 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]1403726[/snapback]</div>
In fact... I've already started planning my next cutaway, which will be completely different. It's gonna be Sith-themed (and it isn't Maul's). ;)

/Joe F
[/b]

Not Maul, and Vader seems unlikely (duh) so what is left - Sidious? or should we think EU...

Hello all,

Well... here it is. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. This is definitely as step up from my previous cutaways, but then it did take a lot longer to finish.

The obligatory side shot:
b1_1.jpg

Flip side. Both leds light up, the red one is much stronger indicating the saber is in "standby mode". I went for a fairly rough weathered look since you all wanted it:
b1_2.jpg

Some beauty shots:
b1_3.jpg

b1_4.jpg

b1_5.jpg

The force crystal and beam emitter both light up (though the crystal is brighter):
b1_6.jpg

You can compare the weathered exterior and pristine interior:
b1_7.jpg

My favorite part is still the "coil in a bubble" behind the crystal:
b1_8.jpg

Arty mood shot:
b1_9.jpg

I'll have a few more pics up soon. Any questions... just ask. As I mentioned before... I've got some ideas for the next one (yes, it's Sidious' even though it's not a very popular saber) and I want that to be very different inside. But I think I need a little break from tinkering before I get to it.

Many thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. :)

That looks beautiful. It's amazing that you fit all that stuff right in the confines of the saber handle too. You turn it over and the handle is all there. The light up features are truly cool too.

You must have spent a ton of time constructing all that amazing circuitry. Looks like it could really work.

B-E-A-UTIFUL work. I'm extremely impressed.

:thumbsup

absolutely f-ing gorgeous...i love the cutaways....just fantastic...

"I've got some ideas for the next one (yes, it's Sidious' even though it's not a very popular saber)"

the sidious saber isn't popular?...i wonder why...i actually think it's my favorite out of the entire series....i very much look forward to what you do with it...

...skott

Man............let me catch my breath for a minute after viewing that..

Whew....OK, a masterfully done cutaway... I love the way you pulled this off using the resin casting. A brilliant idea from the start and I only wish it were my own :D I'm torn between the emitter guts and the housing where the large coil is exposed as my favoite, most intricate parts.

Steve

Superb work indeed.
Not just the interior - but the casting of the exterior.
Lovely clear photographs also.

:thumbsup

Howard. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back