Luke ESB saber/belt D rings

Zombie Killer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, looked for info pertaining to the ESB saber D rings but most of the threads deal with ANH. Am i correct that the ESB D rings are bigger than the ANH? I bought a Kalimar setup a year ago and it's case has Drings that look just like the ESB style. Especially Lukes belt. I think the Graflex is 1.5" and the ESB d's look like they are just a little smaller than the Graflex body. What do you guys think? Sorry if this has been hashed a million times.

DSC05879Large.jpg

Hope you don't mind me borrowing your pic Sym-Cha...

LukeESB1_dockingbay101.jpg

I don't want to cut the strap and ruin the case unless it is correct. Isa nice case !!!

DSC06489Large.jpg

Hello there,

Indeed ESB D-rings are larger then the one used for ANH. So this could be the one for the ESB. It seems to be 1.3" in diameter and about 0.25 mm in thickness which is also the same in size as the holes in the vintage Kobold Clip, as seen in your screen-cap. It's also more D in shape then the ANH which is a bit more roundish.
If you could detach the D-ring from the case then perhaps thereafter you could remove the leather strap by slightly twisting the D-ring open? (The ESB D-ring is also twisted.) And you might even replace that D-ring for
a newer counterpart thus keeping the leather Kalimar case 'intact' . . . from a certain point of view :D

That picture belongs to Lucasfilm Ltd. so be my guest :)

-Chaim

Last edited:
Wow excellent! You only need to drill one more hole opposite the existing one on your Kobold Clamp if it came from a vintage genuine Kobold/Linhof Flash.

The propmakers removed just a bit from both ends so that after squeezing the ends together inside the Kobold Clamp the D is again more straight and the ends would not be visible when attached on that Kobold Clamp as seen in your picture above.

Or you may even attach it as is and squeeze the D straight again inside the Kobold Clamp and then flip the whole thing 180º before attaching it on the graflex bottom and use it the same way as seen on your screen-cap, both options were used to my limited knowledge.

-Chaim

Thanks, yes the bracket is from a real Linhof. The Jawa type. Do you think the ring is too thick? Looks a bit thicker than the one on the saber. The belt D ring on Lukes belt looks thicker too. The belt piece looks like it is the same color also. I little more yellowish.

The propmakers removed just a bit from both ends so that after squeezing the ends together inside the Kobold Clamp the D is again more straight and the ends would not be visible when attached on that Kobold Clamp as seen in your picture above.

-Chaim

I have always wondered about "the propmakers"... does anyone know who they were? Did they ever publish anything definitive about what they did, and why? Where are they now? I think it would be a nice read.

Thanks, yes the bracket is from a real Linhof. The Jawa type. Do you think the ring is too thick? Looks a bit thicker than the one on the saber. The belt D ring on Lukes belt looks thicker too. The belt piece looks like it is the same color also. I little more yellowish.

Ring looks pretty beefy here:

Ranch_007-vi.jpg

If there is a second ring, I'd take it off your hands if you're looking to unload it.

The only way to find out if it's too thick is to try and stick it in the hole of your vintage Linhof bracket. If it fits use it for your ESB if it doesn't put it back on the case or on a Luke ESB belt :D
As you can see by the pictures here there, are several differences between ESB Luke lightsabers as seen on screen. See partsofsw.com for most of those varied details okay!

-Chaim

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back