Luke costume (ANH) build thread (WIP)

Cadger

Hi!
I've started to make Luke's costume from ANH. Who doesn't want to be Luke Skywalker? Sure I do. :)

I'm starting this thread so I can ask for tips and pointers along the way. I know a couple of guys in here have made some pretty decent Luke costumes. I have read their threads more than once.

Present status is that I have talked to a local shoemaker about making the boots, and I currently have the following parts:

DSC_0181.JPG

So thanks for looking and I will come back with questions later. :)

Will you be adding the poncho as well as that rediculous fisher's hat? Nice parts ... those are Roy's belt clips, correct? I sense you need some additional D-rings too :)

Chaim

Intriguing.

Will be watching this thread.

Nice Cartridge pouch. Is it one from MC Farthingbowl's in Belgium? If you plan to darken the leather, 10 minutes in an oven at 100°C and some oiling afterwards will get you some good results.

Will you be adding the poncho as well as that rediculous fisher's hat? Nice parts ... those are Roy's belt clips, correct? I sense you need some additional D-rings too :)

Chaim

Poncho and hat? It would be cool add those when the rest of the costume is finished. But it's not a priority. :) You are correct about the belt clips! And I need a couple of D-rings for the belt. What material and size should they be? Do you know? I think it's hard to determine from the images I have.

Intriguing.

Will be watching this thread.

Nice Cartridge pouch. Is it one from MC Farthingbowl's in Belgium? If you plan to darken the leather, 10 minutes in an oven at 100°C and some oiling afterwards will get you some good results.

Thank you for the great tip! I bought two so I'll try to bake one according to your instruction. And yes, the triangluar pouches is from MC Farthingbowl's.

But the big rectangular pouch is more difficult. Please let me know if you know anyone that makes an accurate one. Might be I have to try to make one myself.

Thank you for the great tip! I bought two so I'll try to bake one according to your instruction. And yes, the triangluar pouches is from MC Farthingbowl's.

But the big rectangular pouch is more difficult. Please let me know if you know anyone that makes an accurate one. Might be I have to try to make one myself.

Before you try, I could post a picture of mine, when I'm home tonight. So you could get a clue how it could look like.
The rectangular pouch is something special I couldn't find the real thing and made one myself. It isn't very acurate and does look very bad and wrong. It is good for carnival or something like that.
But most times I wouldn't were it along with the costume. Especially because Luke didn't has it on the belt from the point on he gets his lightsaber. So everytime I wear the costume with lightsaber ;) there is no need for the rectangular pouch.

Maybe you have luck in finding one. This should be the right one: "Warner and Swassey scope cases/pouches"

I have no clue whether those D-rings are the same size or not as on your ANH lightsaber ... perhaps Luke the Belter can tell? If they are the same size then just send a PM to Roy Gilsing for additional rings ;)

Chaim

I can't tell, sorry for that. The screengrabs I used as reference were too bad.
I just used the same D-ring. Thought the prop maker would use the D-rings they had on everything ;)

I've to do the belt again in the future. It was my first prop and I didn't use the right hooks on it and at first made the cartridge pouch myself before I found the one from Belgium.

But most times I wouldn't were it along with the costume. Especially because Luke didn't has it on the belt from the point on he gets his lightsaber. So everytime I wear the costume with lightsaber ;) there is no need for the rectangular pouch.

I actually haven't noticed that. I'll keep looking for it, but I can remove it from my priority list. I'd rather sport the lightsaber than the leather case. :)

I personally never felt the need to have the large rectangular pouch. Too bulky, and it's only worn, as was stated, until Luke goes looking for R2 in the canyon.

As promised.

20141003_085339.jpg

Two Lukes on the JediCon last year. Me on the right but I think the other Luke does look a little more acurate ;)
He made his boots himself

20141003_144205.jpg

The other Luke was also in Essen at SW CE II wearing an ESB with I believe Yoda on his back outfit (?) ... I only remember that good looking torso of his :wacko

Chaim

Thank you for the pictures. And thank you for your involvement!

Here are my reference pictures of the screen used belt. I hope to get as close as possible.

lukebelt.jpglukebelt1.jpg

Some white denim Levi's pants came in yesterday. I removed the pockets and some buttons to make it look a bit more like the original pants.

DSC_0189.JPGDSC_0188.JPG15386h_lg.jpeg

Just noticed that the Graflex in your first post is assembled ESB like and not ANH accurate ;)

Nice denim pants, can't wait to see the weathering on them.
Keep us up to date.

Well ... the ANH saber has been known to switch the position of the clamp. Here's a picture :

... and disregard the text ... which is unique on every G R A F L E X bottom as for it's position :)

Chaim

Hey!
You guys are talking about me?
Thank you R2Dan :)
Yes I've made an ANH, Bespin and Dagobah-Luke in the past few years :)
Cadger: Congrats! These are amazing pants! Good luck on your costume!
I've worn mine many many times and I just love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I made a little progress today. I upscaled the image of the orignal belt and printed it out 1:1. It made it easy to place the holes and add ons. I also copied the uneven line of buckle holes and the litt scewed placement of the right hook. The D-rings are a bit big. I need to replace them. A also cheated and made my belt a little bit longer. That way I can wear it just like Luke did.

Next step would be to weather it. I have no experience with that either. But I'll do my best, and hopefully it will turn out ok. :)

DSC_0191.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back