Luke ANH grip & activator position

B-Wing

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am ready to apply the grips to a Luke ANH saber (my first one). I have the template from the Parts of Star Wars website (7 grip), but does the position of the grips matter? Should one line up with the activator or the ears or does it not matter?

Also, I have noticed that in some images I have seen the activator is to the right of the ears and on some it is to the left. Which is correct??

Thanks for the help. :)

I can address the activator position...
Screen used is on the left...
Publicity photos on the right. The ESB was on the right...

The grips seem to be centered on the front, glass eye...though I've done it both ways ;)

screenusedgraflex1pt.jpg

The grips on the Kurtz saber that Sporak posted above are believed to not be original.
There is also some room for twisting the Graflex bottom in relation to the top ...
I think it is quite hard to give a definite answer to this question. I think more research might be needed here...

Originally posted by westies 14@Mar 6 2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, who was tha COA written TO, Sporak?  What an item to pick up.

-Douglas
[snapback]1200123[/snapback]​

ahh i got that same one off of Ebay... :unsure

LOL, its from one of gary kurtz's personal auctions, this piece was sold last year i believe.

I think we only know the exact placement of the grips in relation to the base on the Ranch saber. To my knowledge there aren't any photos of the ANH sabers clear enough to read the text on the base.

Originally posted by oldken+Mar 6 2006, 10:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Mar 6 2006, 10:53 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-westies 14
@Mar 6 2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, who was tha COA written TO, Sporak?  What an item to pick up.

-Douglas
[snapback]1200123[/snapback]​

ahh i got that same one off of Ebay... :unsure

LOL, its from one of gary kurtz's personal auctions, this piece was sold last year i believe.
[snapback]1200161[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah, but again,,the Ranch saber is an ESB...
This is the only ANH screen used besides caps from the film, that I've seen.

Originally posted by kurtyboy@Mar 6 2006, 07:26 PM
I think we only know the exact placement of the grips in relation to the base on the Ranch saber.

Why do you think that?
I haven't heard that...To me, there's no reason to doubt this thing as absolutely authentic...it belonged to Gary Kurtz for cryin out loud ;)

If you're refering to the supposed metal grips...I don't happen to believe that.

Those grips look a little different, more rounded than we're used to...that is precisely why I believe in their authenticity...besides the above mentioned reasons.

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Mar 6 2006, 05:44 PM
The grips on the Kurtz saber that Sporak posted above are believed to not be original.
There is also some room for twisting the Graflex bottom in relation to the top ...
I think it is quite hard to give a definite answer to this question. I think more research might be needed here...
[snapback]1200152[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Sporak@Mar 7 2006, 06:22 AM
Why do you think that?
I haven't heard that...To me, there's no reason to doubt this thing as absolutely authentic...it belonged to Gary Kurtz for cryin out loud ;)

If you're refering to the supposed metal grips...I don't happen to believe that.

Those grips look a little different, more rounded than we're used to...that is precisely why I believe in their authenticity...besides the above mentioned reasons.
[snapback]1200393[/snapback]​
There was some talk about the grips back in the thread about the auction and in the old T-track research thread. (both seem to have fallen off the board, unfortunately. I can only find this)
The T-track on this saber and on the Vader saber and Stormtrooper blaster from the same auction had flat tops and straight angled fins. There is only one T-track profile known to have been used on the screen-used props (either original or resin casts of the original track), and it is dissimilar to the one in the auction.

Just to add some info here, as it has already been mentioned, there are two acceptable grip positions for the ANH luke saber.
There's the publicity photos version and the screen used version.

In reality though, the grips are not in different positions but rather the top shell of the saber is in a different position.

On my graflex (Which is currently in the "screen used" position) Im able to remove the top shell , rotate it and reattach it in the "publicity photo" position.

DS

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back