Luigi's Mansion - Poltergust 3000

Snarkticon

Back in May 2011 my friend Jessica and I decided to make some Poltergust 3000 backpacks from the Luigi's Mansion video game. If you're unfamiliar with this, long story short - Luigi sucks up ghosts into a red vacuum cleaner that he wears on his back (a la Ghostbusters).

BioVacuumLuigi1.jpg

A couple of days ago, I was asked by Bizarro Lois here on the forums for some close up shots. So I thought "maybe some other people might be interested?" so here I am, posting a thread for it. :D

What we started with as the base for our Poltergusts is a Eureka Rally 2 canister vacuum
0002316911199_500X500.jpg

I'm very sorry - but we didn't take any progress pictures during the build. It only took us a couple of hours to finish two of them. Basically all we did was dismantled the vacuums, painted all the yellow bits red, dremeled out the slots for the backpack straps and put it all back together.

This is the final result:

DSC05659.jpg

We originally painted the entire wheel white, but the rubber on the tires reacted strange to the spray paint - it never cured so whatever touched them got smears of white paint. We eventually removed the paint on the rubber with rubbing alcohol.
DSC05660.jpg

DSC05668.jpg

Since it's what we know (being Ghostbusters) we used ALICE shoulder straps.
DSC05670.jpg

DSC05671.jpg

We simply used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut slots into the plastic of the vacuum and fed the straps through:

DSC05672.jpg

DSC05662.jpg

DSC05664.jpg

DSC05665.jpg

And finally we decided to add a little personal touch with some vinyl decals bought off eBay:

DSC05669.jpg

And then we wore them around Comicpalooza for several hours on Friday. They are actually amazingly light considering we didn't remove any of the internal components of the vacuum.
luigiandpeach.jpg

So what do you think, sirs?

Thank you, Akiriano. :D I love it when subtle work makes a big impact. Those who recognized the prop from the game were very excited to see it.

I would have never thought of recreating this prop. You did a great job! Quite an inventive costume.

I would love to know if you would be interested in selling one. This mama
Has to be the best secret santa and get my 7 yr old one. Please let me know thank you!!
I don't remember if it was here, the FB page, or another forum, I saw someone making one of these from a toy vacuum. It was a pretty good match. If I find the link I'll post it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back