Luc Besson's Lucy (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element) returns to the realms of sci-fi with Lucy and it's one among my most anticipated movies of 2014.

The trailer will be up by next week. Here are some production details from its wiki page.

The film is largely shot at Cité du Cinéma which is a film studio complex based north of Paris. Some scenes were shot at the cliffs of Étretat in northern France. Rest of the production took place in Taipei, Taiwan.

EuropaCorp is funding the film and it's one of the major feature film producers in France and Europe. Its CEO Christophe Lambert mentioned that this film will have the highest budget in the history of EuropaCorp. He also stated that Luc Besson has never put so many special effects in a movie.

Synopsis: A drug mule accidentally swallows her cargo and finds she now has superpowers.

Director: Luc Besson
Writer: Luc Besson
Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Analeigh Tipton, Min-sik Choi

Release Date: August 8, 2014

Re: Luc Besson's Lucy

Wow.That young lady has certainly been busy lately. It looks a bit like " Limitless "with added guns, kicks and graphics, but I've got to say I'm impressed. Didn't even know this was out there so great spot Vivek!!!! Tashas got a twin sister by the look of it! Interestingly the changes in the eye structure after she is exposed to the drug suggest an accelerated history of evolutionary changes throughout her body as well as to her brain. What is she about to become?

Last edited:

After reading the piece in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago on Scarlett I can't seem to get excited about this. Don't get me wrong- I hate the author of the piece and just know entirely too much about her now. Anyone have any tips on getting back into it?

Seems a little silly. But very interesting concept for certain...I'll be watching it eventually for sure.

A friend went to go see this with his girl re MADE to go see it.

He liked the Depp version better but enjoyed Freemen telephoning in his role in this one as well! :lol

No, they can still make a movie that is like a live action Akira and I felt the Signal was closer to Akira than this material. And Lucy wasn't about wanton destruction.

Still it was excellent. Much better than Hercules. Pacing was good and it was beautifully shot.

No, it's not exactly like Akira, but I thought it shared many similarities, and is most likely a better movie than what would come about if someone actually did make a live action Akira.

Haven't seen The Signal. I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
The trailers made this movie out to be some kind of an awesome action flick, but it really wasn't at all. It seemed remarkably cerebral. What I loved was that unlike most movies where someone gains these types of powers, Lucy didn't become a Terminator and fight hand to hand with all the goons. As she progressed through the movie, she used her powers intelligently and judiciously. Why physically fight a room full of people that you have no beef with when you can simply wave your hand and put them all to sleep? No danger to them at all this way...

I thought it was good but very rushed. It should have been between 1.75 hrs and 2hrs long. My main complaints were

1. Lucy suddenly knows she can kick butt. Maybe have her accidentally win the first fight.
2. Lucy had no regard for innocent human life. The chase scenes seemed to have a lot of damage that people wouldn't survive.
3. Why did she leave the boss alive at the beginning? I would have liked her to end him and then go after the doctor guy
4. The french cops don't seem to stop and question anyone; (A) When Lucy and the cop is leaving the hospital there are cops all around and no one stops them. (B) When the mob is getting all their weapons out and cops pull up between them and the museum and several weapons are seen in plain site.

Things I liked about it.
1. Lucy's fear at the beginning. It was just great and well played.
2. The images of the animals etc. Very cerebral and a little sad to see it suddenly stop 15 minutes in.
3. Lucy's fighting; as mentioned before when she would stop people with her powers very smart.
4. Lucys talk with her mom and with Morgan Freeman.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back