Lt. CMDR Data (Brent Spiner) sculpt

Re: Lt. Data (Brent Spiner) sculpt

Thought I'd make a resin hairpiece for those not interested in trying to convert a wig.

HAIR.jpg

Re: Lt. Data (Brent Spiner) sculpt-resin hairpiece pg 3

I might be interested in a hair peice. I know real hand laid hair would look a lot better, but I've never done that before and I'm a little intimidated.

Speaking of wigs - what did you use for your Data?

First I bought a lace front wig off ebay for about $35, I ended up only using small portions of that for a some of the hairline going into the full sideburns. You can get lace eyebrows/sideburns from costume shops just as a side note. Then I went to Party City and bought a wig called truckdriver (I think) which was basically a long hair mullet for about $20 which makes up 95% of what I have going. I cut out the individual sections of hair and glued them on up to about 1/4" of the hairline then went with strands.

2 things: let contact cement and hairspray (super duper hold) be your friend. To get the front looking the way I wanted I rolled the seam of the sewn hair under and glued it down, this also made it easier when gluing strands in place because it sort of had something to rest against.

The contact cement is some stuff I had here for recovering guitar amps.

I have a question. I really like your painted finished Data heads. What paints and techniques did you use to get the right effect? In some scenes he looks white, in some goldish, and in some even a pale green (when they find Lore's parts they definitely look celery green!!).

I've got a book on the Make up and Props of Star Trek and they describe in detail how to do Data MAKE UP, but I'm not sure how that translates to paint. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. I'm wrapping up the instructions for the electronics installation so I will be taking orders in the next week or two!!!

I have a question. I really like your painted finished Data heads. What paints and techniques did you use to get the right effect? In some scenes he looks white, in some goldish, and in some even a pale green (when they find Lore's parts they definitely look celery green!!).

I've got a book on the Make up and Props of Star Trek and they describe in detail how to do Data MAKE UP, but I'm not sure how that translates to paint. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. I'm wrapping up the instructions for the electronics installation so I will be taking orders in the next week or two!!!

Sweet!

On the paint, I used acrylics...all bought at Michaels. The paint job was just hit and miss till I thought it looked decent and was hand applied since I dont have my airbrush set up yet.

1. The base I used was white mixed with gold powder until it was an off white/gold.
2. I then did a wash of champaigne gold to try and get in some of the detail.
3. I finished with a light dry sponge application of inca gold.

After I thought the color looked good it was too shiny so I dulled with powder spray and was able to seal and add a little sheen to places with hairspray.

For the eyes and lips I used a mixture of reds and blues/ purple (all with inca gold) until I thought it looked good and did a wash of the gold over it so it too would sparkle. Just not in the actual red of the eyes because I was trying to approximate a make up over a human. Also did a purple mixed with gold in the ear detail to bring it out.

So when finished it looks powdery and pale (not yellow) and sparles gold when light hits it directly. Also painted the eyelashed and brows white-ish like make up had been run through it. Hope that helps...

A friend actually ran into Brent Spiner a few weeks ago but couldnt load the pics on his phone but it would have been interesting to hear his thoughts...probably weird to have people sculpting you though I would think. I couldnt handle being a celebrity. :p

Last edited:
I JUST found this thread, awesome. Data's head is one of those props I always wanted, but never got around to. On a side note, we're filming a Doctor Who fan film this fall, it would be awesome for him to find Data's head buried somewhere and say, "I always wondered what happened to him..." as a one off comment or something!

I JUST found this thread, awesome. Data's head is one of those props I always wanted, but never got around to. On a side note, we're filming a Doctor Who fan film this fall, it would be awesome for him to find Data's head buried somewhere and say, "I always wondered what happened to him..." as a one off comment or something!

Yeah go back to the cave where Datas head was found (Times Arrow reference) might be fun...

One last thing about the paint, I just watched Nemesis with my son and there is a close up scene of Data/B4 that shows the make up (gold in particular) really nicely...much better than could ever be seen previously that I have found.

Tinkering with a rubber head...

I received 13doctorwho's AWESOME lighting kit and dressed it up an bit for this.

I did the run of these and aside from seeing a finished one on craigslist (lol) I'd love to see some finished ones so post away, and if you havent picked up a lighting kit I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is an old thread but, I just found this thread and realized I have a copy of this sculpt. Would love to know what you originally asked for it?

I am working on mine at the moment, to make it more like Data. Ventilated my own wig for it and now doing the eyebrows.
Some progression pics.
20191107_100739.jpg20200202_184005_HDR.jpg20200207_161033_HDR.jpg85045291_225955571768279_6262499111447035904_n.jpg86183625_184865039496814_7880324678084984832_n.jpg

I know it is an old thread but, I just found this thread and realized I have a copy of this sculpt. Would love to know what you originally asked for it?

I am working on mine at the moment, to make it more like Data. Ventilated my own wig for it and now doing the eyebrows.
Some progression pics.
View attachment 1257178View attachment 1257179View attachment 1257180View attachment 1257181View attachment 1257182
I think that looks just like him. Great eye for detail. I really like the cheeks and nose. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back