Love and Hate(fallout) replica ideas?

DirtyWizard

Hey guys, after making my first prop, i've come back for more. I was thinking that this time, i could just make something simple to bide my time until summer when I could do something bigger. So I was wanting to make a pair of Love and Hate brass knuckles from fallout.
800px-Love_and_Hate.png

Unfortunately, no ideas are coming to mind on how to make them, so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I could do this. I don't have any access to precision wood-cutting so that's out.

At first glance, my immediate thoughts would be styrene and Apoxie Sculpt for the body, and sand down some wooden dowel for the spikes

Thanks for the suggestion! But i can't find out what styrene is. Is it that pink foam that comes in sheets? Or am I thinking of something else? And the apoxie sculpt, is there any sort of substitute for that that I could possibly find at a hardware store?

Styrene is plastic sheet, usually white and commonly used for modelling. It's also known as Plasticard. Any plastic sheet would do though, Acrylic for example.

Apoxie Sculpt is quite expensive and I can understand why you would want an alternative. Doubt you'd get it in a hardware store, but any air dry modelling clay will be fine

I'm not so sure on thr plasticard. It just seems so thin. How about that pink/blue foam that comes in huge sheets (I think it's for insulating)? Could I justise that, then somehow make it hard by coveringit with something? I'm sorry for my inexperience, but what would I do that with? Is that what resin is for?

OOh, well that would work! But I still don't know what I can layer over the foam to make the whole thing hard so when I put my hands in, they don't crumble. Can anyone enlighten me?

Hey guys, after making my first prop, i've come back for more. I was thinking that this time, i could just make something simple to bide my time until summer when I could do something bigger. So I was wanting to make a pair of Love and Hate brass knuckles from fallout.

Unfortunately, no ideas are coming to mind on how to make them, so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I could do this. I don't have any access to precision wood-cutting so that's out.

Well...do you have any idea or wish concerning the material? And will it be a static prop, or do you want to wear them?

I think I've seen some videos on YouTube where someone produces actual knuckles made out of metal with little know-how and also low costs, I guess the only things you would need for that would be a blow torch, some scrap metal you can melt (or empty soda-cans), and a mold for the knuckles (if you want them VERY accurate concerning the material)
Foam and Styrene would be good for a static prop in a display, but if you want to wear them, I think this would be too fragile.

And I don't think that you need a precision wood-cutting. In my opinion, if you want to make them out of wood, get yourself a piece of MDF a scroll saw or a jigsaw and cut the very general form of the knuckles. The holes can be done with drill bits, and the little curves and details can be done with sandpaper or a grinder.
Afterwards, you need to cut out the letters (out of styrene, for example), sculp the spikes (or find something else you can use for this) and glue them to the knuckles. With some paint and a good weathering it should look like one solid piece

Well, now you have me thinking that wood would be a good idea. I think I'm gearing more towards a static prop, but still, it would be pretty sweet to put these things on. I do have a handsaw/jigsaw and drill/bits, could you specify what you meant by making the holes with drill bits?

I think he's talking about the styrene for the raised lettering on the face, behind the spikes. ;)
Yep, use the styrene for the face itself and the lettering. Much easier than trying to sculpt a flat surface with raised lettering

The rest of it could be built up with foam if you wanted, I use casting resin to coat foam to protect it. Just mix up a little bit and brush it on, don't use an expensive brush though......

I do have a handsaw/jigsaw and drill/bits, could you specify what you meant by making the holes with drill bits?

Just a VERY quick (and inaccurate) sketch for specification:

love-hate-fallout-replica-ideas-knuckles_template.jpg-91719d1335115405

First step: You will need a good (and accurate) template that you can glue onto the MDF and cut it out (like for example Firewire did here on his Daft Punk Thomas Build). Then you will have something like the red piece on my picture at the very left, just the basic shape without any holes.

Second step: draw the holes you can put put your fingers in (the green circles in the middle of the picture), take a drill bit and drill the holes. Note that you best check your own fingersize (as this will be your prop), and make the holes a bit larger so your fingers can slide in and out easily. When you drilled the holes, you should end up ith something like that red thing on the right of the picture.

Third step: take some sandpaper or a grinder or a dremel tool and smooth out the edges (of the holes, but also of the knuckles itself).

I guess that should work.

Alright well you convinced me to use wood, and now I have 2 4" by 2" by 2.25"(or something like that) blocks of wood. My main problem now is that I don't have a jigsaw, so making those precision cuts will be a challenge.

To be honest, a jigsaw would be useless for this anyway. You'd need a scrollsaw to make cuts that precise and I'm assuming you're not looking to spend a small fortune

You could go and get a coping saw though, do it the old fashioned way :). A Dremel would be really useful too, if you don't have one I would recommend it, you will end up using it a lot while building props. Well worth the outlay

Good luck!

I think the first question should have been what kind of tools or experience do you have? That would probably be the best way for us to give you a way to go about making them.

If you don't have tools to make them out of wood, I'd say styrene would probably easiest. You can get Styrene in thicknesses of around .125". You could probably get the thickness of the "rings" you hold on your hand with three or four .125" sheets laminated together. Then the Love/Hate thing would be simple to cut out of styrene.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back