LOTR - Twilight Witchking crown 1:1

N2darkness

Sr Member
Here is my latest project after the lengthy Boromir's shield build.
[URL="http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41411"]http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41411[/URL]

I wanted to make my own version of the Twilight Witchking crown for a very long time, but I also knew if was going to take some effort as well as learning some new skills. Here is some of the steps that went into making this.

First I got some great photos of the actual crown from Kit Rae on the UC forums here.

14270433484_56983f1f80_c.jpg

14270433544_f8f77096c1_c.jpg

I started with some 1/4 inch MDF for the spikes and used some epoxy sculpt for the rest of the details and a few cut off nails for the smaller spikes.
12553497095_653f3c5671_c.jpg

12553984514_3486e87f71_c.jpg

There was a lot of clean up and sanding that needed to be done before molding could begin. Since I had never molded anything before it was all new and did a lot of research on-line. I wanted to make this out of pewter from the beginning so I decided to used Smooth-on Mold Max 60 for the molding material as its high temp for casting pewter. Here is the mold boxes after the priming had been done.
14247692296_9bf439deb8_c.jpg

Then the clay up for the 1st half.
14267489931_e13b13886a_c.jpg

1st half poured.
14267489851_cf250086b7_c.jpg

And then the 2nd half was done after the clay was removed and the mold release was sprayed. Here is the finished mold with the originals. Did have 1 casualty though.
14084160878_8f48be324b_c.jpg

I didn't get any photos of the actual casting process as it was my first time with the melter and was kind of a crazy experience. Here are all the cast parts needed for assembly.
14290984443_9f67f56e8d_c.jpg

I found a local sheet metal company to make the inner rings that all 16 pieces would attach to. They were done out of 16 gauge steel and welded together. Here is a photo of most of the pieces clamped on the ring to check for spacing.
14084153099_895506c1f7_c.jpg

I tried to solder both traditionally and with paste and couldn't get it to work so I sanded the ring and grind-ed the individual pieces and used Loctite's version of JB weild. Worked rather well. Here is a photo of the completed crown fully assembled. Its rather heavy being made of pewter and comes in at just under 4 lbs! Here is the beginnings of the stand, pre-weathering.
14267476251_edc22b389d_b.jpg

14084235967_3be325ca92_b.jpg

And here is the completed stand, it was MDF turned on the lathe and then rather distressed to add cracking and age with the crown weathered - I think it really brings out the details and textures in the casting.
14084191230_349991df16_b.jpg

14290971393_5d5b57b2c8_b.jpg

Here are a couple more and a few in a Twilight Witchking collection.

14270793555_294b653d40_b.jpg

14084191440_60dc34228f_b.jpg

14290971313_cbd1622877_b.jpg

This has been by far the most (expensive) and challenging project to date, but also one of the most rewarding. I still plan to make a decorative wooden storage box to accompany both the stand and the crown for safe keeping.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

This is wildly awesome. I love to see people make props that they obviously have a very personal love of and reason for wanting. It's clear that you wanted this badly and did what it took to make it. And even better, you acquired some new skills along the way! Keep on rockin, can't wait to see more from you in the future

wow, this is a great build, congratulations!
not really a build question, but of the items in your (obviously fantastic) collection, do your builds take precedence over other objects for display?, or is it more dependant on the actual item?
again, brilliant work

Thanks everyone for the comments. My builds usually just blend in with the rest of the collection. Just depends on why I decide to build something, weither it be a single piece or an accessory to a group collection as well if its something I can actually do. Most there just things to enhanse other objects, stands and plaques.

I've been thinking of using a chemical darkener to weather and age the pewter. I've tried a brass darkening solution I have and works a little, anyone have an other suggestions?

I've not worker with pewter before but I know for a fact that you shouldn't ever place it in the dishwasher as the heat and detergent damages the finish and can leave a dark patina.

So I recommend doing just that! Haha. With a test piece of course. Just put a bit in there and wash as normal (that's if you have a dishwasher. I don't, but you could use a friends). See what happens.

There are plenty of commercially available chemicals that are used to patina pewter, such as Novacan black patina. Also, a number of concoctions such as iron chloride in water, and a few with many more ingredients will give the effect you're after. A Google search will bring up what you need.

I'd try the dishwasher first though as its free!

Awesome work btw!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've not worker with pewter before but I know for a fact that you shouldn't ever place it in the dishwasher as the heat and detergent damages the finish and can leave a dark patina.

So I recommend doing just that! Haha. With a test piece of course. Just put a bit in there and wash as normal (that's if you have a dishwasher. I don't, but you could use a friends). See what happens.

There are plenty of commercially available chemicals that are used to patina pewter, such as Novacan black patina. Also, a number of concoctions such as iron chloride in water, and a few with many more ingredients will give the effect you're after. A Google search will bring up what you need.

I'd try the dishwasher first though as its free!

Awesome work btw!

Finally finished the decorative storage box to house both the crown and pedestal base for safe keeping as the crown can be fragile. The box is made from Russian birch plywood and then I heat transferred a laser copy for the lettering and eye of Sauron on the sides. The entire inside has been covered in felt to add some further protection.

14482120975_24177641de_b.jpg

14502257613_e4955ded60_b.jpg

14480908984_b675803540_b.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back