Lost21stJedi Merle Walking Dead Halloween contest

Lost21stJedi

Never made a prop before and decided to try my hand (no pun intended) at making a Little Merle. I have no experience with fiberglass or building in general so decided to go with what was easiest. I started by using 4" PVC pipe and getting a cap for it

I didn't like how the cap looked so went with another piece that sat flush. I used duct tape to hold it in place. I also just got a small bar that I cut and bent to make a bracket to fit behind my arm. (tape in pic was temporary as I had a sharp edge and didn't feel like getting cut while fitting it)

Here is a first idea for a knife (I hated that but wanted to see what I would need)

Finally went with an airsoft M4 bayonet but the blade was too short. Went and got a medieval sword, took the handle off and modified it to fit in the bayonet handle. Also cut the bar and used nylon bushings and bolts to make the arm bend. Better view in the proof photo.

Halloween night. It went over very well, had about a dozen people take pictures and ask how it was done.

Proof photo

Again thank you for your consideration. The one thing I have learned from this experience is that I really enjoy prop making and after finishing this one, I started working on a Terminator costume that I plan on wearing next weekend at NC Comic Con. It will be the first time I ever go to a convention in costume but hopefully won't be the last.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back