Lost Countdown Clock *possible spoilers, use caution*

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by dr_slurpee, May 30, 2006.

1. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OK, so I did a search and couldn't find any posts about the countdown clock. I am a little surpised...I know I would love to have one hanging above my door in my office.

I of course have the computer one that runs on your desktop...but that just doesn't cut the mustard.

Sooooo, who's gonna tackle it? :)

[​IMG]

2. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I haven't seen season 2 of Lost, so I have no idea what the "Countdown Clock" is...... hopefully not a big spoiler, eh? ;)

3. dr_slurpee

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that...I don't think it would be a spoiler. It would be less a spoiler than some other prop items that have been discussed I think.

If anyone feels it's a spoiler then I will be more than happy to put in the appropriate warnings...actually maybe I should anyway.

4. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

There's a smaller prop in the finalé I'd love one of.

6. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

LOL (if i think i know what your thinking "crunch")

Dan.

7. dr_slurpee

Well I suppose I now know why no one has made one...apparently no one is interested. :p

8. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Sorry, I had to go type in the numbers.

What were you saying?

And... "Crunch"?
    Lost me there.
    I was talking about one of the key props in the finalé, if you catch my drift ;)

9. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Reverend Scapegoat @ Jun 2 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]1255103[/snapback]</div>
    the whole item you are thinking of would rock (i was thinking about what happened to the item mentioned in the title)

Dan

10. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Here's a paper prop I whipped up. Print whatever size you like, cut, fold, and tape. ;)

[​IMG]

11. ortiz34

ortiz34 Well-Known Member

Id buy one.

As for spoilers, as far as im concerned, after they air on network tv, its no longer a spoiler.

Frankly, if someone doesnt know what the countdown clock is at this point, they arent a lost fan...

<div class='quotetop'>(AlltoEasy @ Jun 2 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]1255221[/snapback]</div>
    the whole item you are thinking of would rock (i was thinking about what happened to the item mentioned in the title)

Dan
    [/b][/quote]

12. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Looks like the kind of flip-leaf style found in the 1970s Solari Cifra flip clocks.

Here's a picture of the internal workings, sort of.
    [​IMG]

13. dr_slurpee

rigormortis thanks for posting that. Free paper props kick *.

I wonder what the logistics would be in making a functional countdown clock. I realize that one portion of it would be impossible.

14. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Actually I spent a lot of time researching the flip clocks yesterday. While I found a lot of Nixie Tube stuff, I found very little on countdown flip timers. It looks like it's all gears and timing. :(

As far as the paper prop, I'll get some real textures in there to make it more accurate. I just wish I could see the sides of it. The next version will have recessed and partially folded numbers to look like the real thing and it'll flip between 3 states. It'll say 108 00, flipping, or the egyptian symbols (which according to a Cambridge Egyptology guy mean literally translate as Swan Little Death - i.e. self destruct).

15. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The symbols translate to "Swan Little Death"?

"Little Death" is also slang for * - maybe the Swan station's EMP is a "Little Death"? Less of a self destruct and more of a ...uh... energy release.

(lol)

16. JediHomer

JediHomer Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jun 7 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1257717[/snapback]</div>
    great call.

17. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

The egyptian has several meanings including "Cause to die" or "Make someone die" or "The cause of death" or "Kill".

You can find translations here, complete with a glyph-by-glyph breakdown:

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Hieroglyphic...lation_Theories

Besides the "little death" thing (la petite morte) is a French expression. I don't think anyone from Hanso is French, are they? :confused

Love the clock idea, though. I imagine it'd be too expensive for me to buy one, but it'd be very, very cool I'm sure. :thumbsup

18. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But it's not like the Hanso/Dharma people are strictly Egyptian in theme - they seem to be borrowing from everyone... like everything I've read on the internet about Lost, the Swan Little Death translation is fun to talk about, but I sure as heck don't consider it canon.

I think most of us learned that lesson with Boba Fett's lame-* backstories ;)

19. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

I've just watched the episode "one of them" (yesterday to be precise), and I was wondering if someone could do or modify an existing flip-clock to create the "countdown effect" (maybe this kind of clocks have already a "reset" function... ?), because if someone can do the electronics, I can work out the hieroglyphs (I have the exact font :D ), and the rest of the graphics (and I think I can do the "case" too), and maybe we could have our own clock...

(Ok, this big reply was a disguised bump... :rolleyes )

P.S.
    KEEP THIS THREAD SPOILER FREE. PLEASE...

20. dr_slurpee

Wow, never thought I'd see this thread again. I'd still love to see someone make the clock.