Loony Newby tips?

NotNice

Hi all, recently I visited a great fantasy-festival, had a lot of fun and now a couple of friends and little insane me decided to visit the same festival as a group of pred-hunters
I have lots and lots of costume-making experience *couch* since I glued some elf ears to my skull for that festival. :D
But I am rather handy with all sorts of materials and I have enough creativity... I hope

Anyway, I am also a bit of a psychic and I see, I see, that I am the idiot, uhm, I am granted the honour of making most of the costume parts for everyone in our group. That means at this moment 7 helmets, 7 armours, 7 dread-thingy-head-pieces, and so on. Guess what? I am so looking forward to it! And I am not alone, my lovely husband and me are going to make this a team-effort

I searched the forum, found de pepakura-helmet, the awesome armour-templates, more great templates, and lots and lots of good advice that will be a life and time-saver for us
We are not going to make bodysuits, at least not for now. Nor are we going to make the face-masks. If we can get the helmet and the dreads nice and jaw-dropping we will be pleased. First we are going to make one helmet, and one armour, starting out with cardboard try-outs and learning by trial and error. And we are going to be daily visitors here, search for inspiration and tips and new ideas

But.... I also want to know your deepest, darkest secrets...
costume-making secrets that is, the little handy tips that make others go "mmmmmm handy..."

Like, when you are painting, do not place your coffee next to your brush-water, it does keeps the water clean but it adds a strange flavour to your coffee...

welcome here! :eek: this is the place were sanity is in vain! :D
big bad gives you a very good link but also you can search trough huntorials and help section , there you'll find almost anything you want, and if not .....just ask!

Some tips? hmmm off the top of my head? Dont borrow your dads dremel to take the eyes out of a mask,brake all the tips and think he wont notice you'v superglued the tips back on :D

thanks, you make me feel very welcome
and thanks for the noobs-topic-link, I had not found that one yet, it added a lot handy-stuff to my handy-stuff-list

sanity.... I googled that word and decided that it does not fit in my personal dictionary

unfortunately I have my own dremel, which is not a suitable tool for making pretty carvings in leather by the way
but I will remember not to use super-glue when the tips break, I am more of a hot-glue girl anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome
WOW 7 suits, I thought I was getting myself in deep when I decided to take on a pred, an alien and a predalien in a year
I'm still relatively new here and I'm here just about everyday trawling through all the threads, now I just have to remember where all the ones I need are so I can find them when I need them :D

Good luck with it all

~Kelz

thanks
well, sleeping is for children and old people...

but I am not going to make 7 'complete' predator-suits, just the helmet with the dreads, the armour (arms, legs, body) and a sh*tload of accesories
the helmets/dreads will be covering the whole human-head under it. If I can get away with it with some pred-like skin under the edges of the helmet, otherwise the helmet and dreads will have to cover everything and we will wear balaclava's for 'skin-seeing-protection'.
I am first going to make one of those, and after that we are going to decide on a go/no-go for the rest of the project

If not, I and me hubby are going to be 2 kick-ass preds, and 1 7-year old mini-pred, but I prefer to be part of a larger pack, the more the merrier so to speak

I did find a lot of home-made pred-suits and was amazed (and honoustly appalled) by how much time and efford people sacrifice in clay-ing, paper-machee-ing and 'kiddy-crafting' and how little in reading stuff on how to make it just a bit more realistic. At the festival there was a guy in a pred suit and it must have cost him a lot of time and money and effort to build, and it was just... well... I do not want to be negative about all his hard work so let's say that I respect his enthusiasm but he looked like he was ready to take his kid-nephew out for trick&treating. And his kid-nephew made his suit...

I am absolutely a newby on this, and there is a lot I need to learn and my first 5 helmets will probably be dustbinfood (if not the first 15) but I am not going to walk around looking like a kiddy-school-project
This forum is about the first to show up when you start googling for pred-making-advice, people should use google more
or not, it will make me look better as a pred next year

I agree, but there is no-one more critical of my own work.
But despite what your suit ends up looking like to you there will alway be people here that will find the good point and offer great constructive critasism and help.

I just gave up on my first bio helmet attempt, but rather than scrapping it all together i'm hacking it up and making it into a prototype of a custom bio i want to adorne my bedroom wall

~Kelz

I just gave up on my first bio helmet attempt, but rather than scrapping it all together i'm hacking it up and making it into a prototype of a custom bio i want to adorne my bedroom wall

~Kelz

Hey me too i think everybody without great success has a:
"Oh good god this didnt turn out great ..i mean.. um...its battle damaged" ¬_¬ moment
The resin on the sides of mine was too thin so it is now also "battle damaged"

Welcome
WOW 7 suits, I thought I was getting myself in deep when I decided to take on a pred, an alien and a predalien in a year
I'm still relatively new here and I'm here just about everyday trawling through all the threads, now I just have to remember where all the ones I need are so I can find them when I need them :D

Good luck with it all

~Kelz

You can easy keep track of the topics you like
You go in to the topic you want, click "option" at the right corner, and then "track this topic". You can then choose if you want to get an email when a new reply has been made, or just keep it at your "My controls" "Subscriptions" and then "view topic". :eek:

Kotten

that's a great help! thanks!

I am probably going to use my riding-boots (horsebackriding, the black dressage-boots) as a base for the shin armour and the feet/shoe-armour (no monster-toes)
those boots cost about 25 euros and have an extremely tight (snug) fit around my feet and lower legs, al the way op to my knees. Given the reasonable price I can test it out for myself and tell the other team-members to get those boots in their own size if it works out

their greatest disadvantage is that they are made of rubber, so walking around in them for a full day will result in very damp socks

You can easy keep track of the topics you like
You go in to the topic you want, click "option" at the right corner, and then "track this topic". You can then choose if you want to get an email when a new reply has been made, or just keep it at your "My controls" "Subscriptions" and then "view topic". ;)

Kotten

Thanks Kotten :)

I feel like a bit of an idiot now :) lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back