Looking to build a Darksaber

sc0ttp

Im a big fan of the animated Clone War seris, I was looking to build a replia of Pre Vizsla's darksaber. However sine its an animated seris I havn't been able to find much refrence material for size and demntions and 3d shape.

Has anyone tackakled this project in the past or have any refrene material I can go on?

DarksaberRender.jpg

Hmm.. I must have missed those episodes of CW...

I have seen tutorials for making sword blades out of PVC tube that have been flattened. I wonder if some sort of clear plastic tube could be flattened to get a more oval/edged shape. If so, then paint the hollow tube black, scratch the swirls and place a high-power LED at the base to light it up.
Make the handle out of aluminium U-channel.

The hilt has been done before by at least two sabersmiths. The blade has also been done before by a couple of people though they use solid flat acrylic which is too fragile to duel with. Flat blades from solid flat polycarbonate have also been made but they do not light up near as well as the acrylic ones and as such, work best if the blade is really short. Also, even if using polycarbonate, since it's flat and solid instead of round and hollow, it's not going to absorb shock all that well and may not hold up to dueling/sparring.

Last edited:
Im not looking to duel with it, I just want to make a really nice display piece that can light up.

lilshrt4atroopr: I hate that he dosent mention how he built that one, its really nice. I wish he would of put something in there for refrence to the size.

The wiki article says its about a meter long so I was figuring a total of about 3.5 ft for mine. I also want to make it in two pices, the base of metal (probally folded allumminum) and a polycarb blade that has been painted with a really thin coat of black and lit up by two embeded diffuesed white LEDs.
The trick will be figuring out the layout the electronics. Either I have to put the power in the base and find a way to connect hidden power wires to the blades LEDs or contain it all the in the polycarb. I was thinking a CR232 battery would be enough to light up one hi-intestinty led.

Im going to figure up the dementions, and do some drawings and work up a set up plans over the next week, Im in the middle of a build right now so this will be my next project when that one is done. If anyone is intrested in making one aswell I would love a collabration so I could have somone to share ideas with.

I was thinking maybe using bolts or something similar to hold the blade to the U-channel - the U-channel being the main structural part of the hilt. Then other parts of the hilt that don't bear the main weight could be glued on.
From what I understand, JB Weld is a thickened epoxy, and epoxy is what I usually use for gluing aluminium pieces to each other.

In the refrence pitures I have, the connection of the blade to the hilt is so clean. It would have to have a pice comming off the blade at the end where it attaches to the hilt inside the U channel.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back