looking into the future...painting latex

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Predator of Jax

No. I'm not writing about a 'new' way to paint latex... ha...

I'm about to get raw feet (someway, somehow) and paint these bad boys.

I have the Airbrush... Createx paints... etc. What paints are used though? I'm sure a sealant (like permawet?) would be a necessity. That's what I'm asking.

Looking through a sh!t ton of posts... I can't find a step by step on painting raw castings.

Anyone have a summarized version?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MasterAnubis

Well, this has come up a few times before. I'm not an expert but the way I do it seems to be consistent with a few other people. This isn't the only way to do it, just the way I've done it...

The base coat I put on is a 50/50 mix of ProsAide and rubbing alcohol(well mixed). I've had good luck adding a touch of color to it with airbrush paint so that I can see where it's going. I use a single action air brush with the heavy tip set to get the coverage.

Then I've used just the normal airbrush paint. I've used the Createx Acrylics thinned with alcohol but I'm not too happy with it, maybe there is something better to thin it with. I also haven't run it through my Iwata.

Then after, or during the colors going on I've dabbed some color on using the Createx acrylics and a natural sponge.

The last coat I do is a Permawet mixed 50/50 with alcohol again using a single action airbrush. Then it's done.

Some people don't mix with alcohol, they prefer either water or nothing. I use alcohol because it seems to help with the drying time.
So, keeping in mind this is just one way, I hope this helps.

I'll be doing more painting this weekend so maybe a huntorial is in order.

georgieboy26

Well, this has come up a few times before. I'm not an expert but the way I do it seems to be consistent with a few other people. This isn't the only way to do it, just the way I've done it...

The base coat I put on is a 50/50 mix of ProsAide and rubbing alcohol(well mixed). I've had good luck adding a touch of color to it with airbrush paint so that I can see where it's going. I use a single action air brush with the heavy tip set to get the coverage.

Then I've used just the normal airbrush paint. I've used the Createx Acrylics thinned with alcohol but I'm not too happy with it, maybe there is something better to thin it with. I also haven't run it through my Iwata.

Then after, or during the colors going on I've dabbed some color on using the Createx acrylics and a natural sponge.

The last coat I do is a Permawet mixed 50/50 with alcohol again using a single action airbrush. Then it's done.

Some people don't mix with alcohol, they prefer either water or nothing. I use alcohol because it seems to help with the drying time.
So, keeping in mind this is just one way, I hope this helps.

I'll be doing more painting this weekend so maybe a huntorial is in order.
hi M A, i want to paint my latex mask, and have bought some aquafix adhesive which is an alternative to prosaide, do you coat the mask with the adhesive prior to painting, or mix it with the paint and apply?....i will be using fw acrylic inks, i understand they can be thinned with alchohol or water but alchohol helps bond to the latex better i heard.....the adhesive drys tacky i believe, what do you suggest to dry it? some kind of powder? or soapy water? this is my first attempt at a mask paint up and i dont want to spoil it.......also what to use as sealer, or does the aquafix seal itself like prosaide? all help appreciated

MasterAnubis

Keep in mind I'm not a Pro, I've done it few ways. Adding paint to the base coat of Pros Aide(PAX), 50/50 alcohol/Pros Aide, and straight Pros Aide.

I have to say I'm on the fence about mixing PA with alcohol at this point. I'm going to try just water the next time. Putting PA on straight gave me a thicker layer then I wanted but the alcohol I used seemed to bring out some weird grain in the PA that went away after mixing and letting it sit then mixing again. Whether it was the 91% or not I don’t know but I’m not going to recommend alcohol because of it. When I got it working right, it was great though.

I haven’t used FW inks. The experience I have with the PA is that once you have a good base coat then you can airbrush layers on and not need more PA. I personally like a thinned PA tinted with paint as a base.

Your base layer will be sticky. Just paint on it, that's what you want. The paint will cover the adhesive and the tackiness with go away, mostly. The sealer coat will get rid of all of the tackiness you have left. I really like the Permawet. Like I said above, I've been really liking the 50/50(ish) mix of alcohol/Permawet. Thinning it dulls it a little and I think it looks great. You can also brush it on, it's just that you risk brush strokes at that point. Talc will also get rid of the tackiness if you don't have a sealer. Purist will warn you that it may lighten your colors a little too.

You'll need to be patient with the adhesive in the airbrush. There is a learning curve there and you'll need to know how it's going to clog up your airbrush. When I paint I have alcohol and paper towels/shop rags ready to wipe off things that it gets on. Try to be neet with it but expect it to get on things, cleaning up with alcohol and paper towels promptly if it spills at all.

Hope this helps,