Looking for what circuit board the Luke esb clamp card came from

Xrad

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey I’m trying to make a all vintage esb graflex and was wondering what circuit board the clamp card came from

Any specific board by Otis can’t seem to find anything the right size for the clamp

What do you mean by right size? They all need to be trimmed down to fit a clamp for both length and width dimensions. If you mean by the gold and silver leads sizes, those are going to vary from board to board as well. Finding a perfect one can be rather difficult.

What do you mean by right size? They all need to be trimmed down to fit a clamp for both length and width dimensions. If you mean by the gold and silver leads sizes, those are going to vary from board to board as well. Finding a perfect one can be rather difficult.
Cause I only find stuff like this and it’s way to small

Attachments

• 456AA142-5C3B-4D80-8B61-91F8208966D3.png
    456AA142-5C3B-4D80-8B61-91F8208966D3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 364
It's kinda like finding a needle in a haystack, you're not gonna find one straight away. Really a waiting game and you just have to keep looking and get lucky tbh

Okay - I would first start looking through the RPF's threads...people building graflexes, people finding boards, etc. to gain knowledge. I have quite a few threads on these cards myself, and thats just one member!

The board you pictured is too small because it is the wrong type of board. Tech gets smaller as time goes on. For Example, the original Apple computer boards have gold sections that are too small and that was the 80s, so you have to go back further to when SW was being made, and back from there. The guys working on the props for ESB would only have access to boards made up until 1979 or something. And it could be from any electronic item, a CNC machine or an audio player or a computer or....

The boards used on the ROTJ V2, Hero Luke and the ESB Graflex are all 22/44 pin connectors - you'll get more familiar the more you look at them. That's the right number and spacing of leads, but some are too skinny or too rounded, or the silver leads are too thick..the list goes on.

Otis
Heald
Extender board
Vintage 1970s boards

We have no direct match to any board for any prop yet. Multiple types of boards may have the same plug/edge.

I found one otis board full of resistors and capacitors (no chip) that had almost all centered leads. I liked that they had rounded corners but were squared off. (Looks like 6 from the left is offset on screen)

But, I have a Heald on another saber of mine. Totally idealized rounded gold traces. Pretty but not 100% accurate

I found one otis board full of resistors and capacitors (no chip) that had almost all centered leads. I liked that they had rounded corners but were squared off. (Looks like 6 from the left is offset on screen)

But, I have a Heald on another saber of mine. Totally idealized rounded gold traces. Pretty but not 100% accurate
Serial number?

As I wrote before, any standart edge connector from 70's will do the job, gold plated, rounded or not, seems some esb had rounded and other had straight, thin or thick trace, both seem to have been used.
Some years ago as one guy probably found a accurate HP board everyone thought it was a HP, now someone found something close from otis elevator, everyone thinks it's necessary from a otis elevator.
ESB ranch seems to have straight gold and thin trace, ESB R2D2 screen seems to have rounded gold and thin trace, luke blaster portrait seems to have square gold and thick trace, so, it's impossible to know the exact reference, and we can add many boards, computer or so, had different suppliers and different path design even for same generation machine.
so, any green based board with gold contactor, straight trace start(no angled start), quite long contactor, depending on lightsaber, would do the job.
2 first pictures seem to be RAM connectors from old hp stuff, mostly had dozen of 40 or 50 legs black components, some boards have other components.
mostly 3 variations of connectors:
-short square gold, straight trace
-short rounded gold straight trace
-narrower rounded gold, straight and angled trace
I have a remaining complete board somewhere, with wrong connector design, some transistors on it.
got it on fleamarket 15 miles from home, from old hospital.
Last picture is a 70's small american company connector, some are offset:

activation.png

ESB.png

IMG_6783.JPG

Last edited:
Of what? I don't have serial numbers of either of those boards. They're so obsolete that Otis' archive dept. literally sent me to ebay.
I was on most of the listings and the had model # and was somebody had that number so I could find a accurate chip

I will also add, that though many people swear by Otis boards (add me to that list, I am sitting on one in the event I find a Graflex without Patent for a reasonable price), I have seen the same traces on other PCBs from the same era....unfortunately they were very expensive so I didn't pick them up and forgot what they were from...but as mentioned above, search for 60's/70's circuit boards and pick the one looks best to you.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're looking for a specific model number of board so you can just plug that into Google.............that's not how it works :D The ones I found and sold here took me a TON of searching. You just have to get familiar with what you want to look for, how the traces look, and then be patient while doing your searches and getting lucky. There is no *one* piece because we weren't there while the prop masters trimmed up the original card, so it's whatever you think is the best looking match that you can find. Personally, I would say getting these is the hardest part of the ESB saber - most everything else is relatively available.

I want to also add that - while I have found many, none were listed by serial number. My boards... I shared codes on them for history/documentation sake, but that is not a good way to search for them. There are no electronics warehouses selling these by product codes because they are 50 years old now.

Most of the correct boards are listed generally as obsolete or vintage and it takes a while to sift through them. We'd love to see your results! I seem to find a new brand every time I look

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back