Looking for the style of cowboy hat Marty wore in BTTF III


New Member
I'm going to a dude ranch this summer and wanted to buy a cowboy hat. I will be visiting Western Apparel stores and wanted a hat that closely resembles Marty's hat (as Clint Eastwood) in Back to the Future III

For those of you who know your hat styles, what style of hat is this called that I could call around and ask? I've seen the "Gambler" or "telescope" or even "bolero" style mentioned, but I feel like the crown is much higher than those styles.

Anyone else go down this hole and have some advice? Or are you.... yella?

You're looking for a "flair top" crown. Think Pale Rider, and be ready to spend some cash if you want something exact or close. Try here- Knudsen Hat co You could also try Baron Hats out of L.A., but again accuracy has some cost. Both places produce excellent hats though.
Thank you, that is very helpful. I'm headed to Montana and will be visiting several western shops and wanted to locate something thats "close enough" for photos. I appreciate it.
Someone in the western town once told us that it's going in the direction of "Gaucho Hat".

I had bought a similar one and was trying to reshape it. I'm not entirely happy with the result:

We have now found a milliner who will change mine again. :)
She can also make hats that look exactly like Martys hat made of felt blanks.
Maybe you can find a hatter at your place?
They all have different names. Marty wore a typical Clint Eastwood style flat top felt cowboy hat. (A second Clint Eastwood joke) Dressed similar to his look in High Plains Drifter, but Clint wore this style cowboy hat in many movies Sometimes it called a bolero (but that’s a Mexican version with a lower crown. You can shape the brim as you want. With a little steam or work it with your hands and some heat. You can even mold the crown if you feel bold enough the same way. (Recommend boiling water and hold it over for about 20-30 seconds)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.