Looking for the insider tips on the MR mark ix tricorder

prototype7

Well... I figured if anybody would know somebody it would be you guys here!

Has anybody found out if there will be multiple sound modes on this tricorder? Or if there will be a silent running mode?
MR does seem to put multiple sounds into their products but I'm just itching to know just how "full featured" this one will be!

So... does anybody here know anybody?:cool

Well... I figured if anybody would know somebody it would be you guys here!

Has anybody found out if there will be multiple sound modes on this tricorder? Or if there will be a silent running mode?
MR does seem to put multiple sounds into their products but I'm just itching to know just how "full featured" this one will be!

So... does anybody here know anybody?:cool

i'm curious as well, how much metal vs plastic... Mr has made some sh*tty choices in the past with excessive use of plastic...

Well, they do describe it as being die-cast and plastic.. I'm also curious to see how much of it is metal. Personally, I'd be happy if the entire shell, including the door, were metal.

I'm also curious about the sounds.. I got to handle an original one time, and seeing all those blinkies in complete silence is actually a lot cooler than it sounds.. hehe.

From the MR email I got:

"Authentic light and sound effects taken from the original sound files"

What PhasePistol said! The originals were primarily constructed of vacuformed plastic with other plastic bits. Can you imagine the cost of trying to make something like a tricorder out of cast or machined metal?

I understand the realism aspect of having it be as close to the screen used ones as possible... it is in fact a prop "replica".

But realism has been done... there are plenty of people to get vacformed shells from. I think it'd be nice to have something hefty and sturdy. I'm all for the metal.

Look at it this way - I'm sure the composites of the future are every bit as tough as die cast metal! :cool

I understand the realism aspect of having it be as close to the screen used ones as possible... it is in fact a prop "replica".

But realism has been done... there are plenty of people to get vacformed shells from. I think it'd be nice to have something hefty and sturdy. I'm all for the metal.

Look at it this way - I'm sure the composites of the future are every bit as tough as die cast metal! :cool

yeah that's the ticket,...i have to go dig up the thread and figure out what 50 percent of 2 hund and something is...

At early convention appearances (Comic Con) Master Replicas showed a poster of, at least the Assault Phaser, with blueprints that included a materials list ("diecast Zymac" was what the phaser is supposed to be made of)...

I don't know if they showed a similar poster of the Tricorder, but you can check. Also look up witness accounts of the NY Toy Fair this year, since the replicas were photographed and handled there as well.

Certainly since the First Contact Phaser was diecast metal (remember that one?), and it looked pretty similar with the dark finish, I'd wager that the Tricorder is the same stuff.

dsc05213hy0.jpg

Or somebody could just frakkin' email Master Replicas. :lol

Now that some of the dealers here are offering these up I am really curious about the details. Would love to know exactly what we are buying!

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CMRST78003lg.jpg

new pic...

not as impressive as the one above... but my deposit is already in...

anyone hazard a guess on how this one compares with the rodenberry one?

1190232063.jpg

are they the same thing, and the 'die cast' parts are the hinges?

Last edited:
We got to handle both at Toy Fair....

I can't say for sure about the Tric (my memories fading faster each day...) but the Phaser sure was heavy. I think they said something about die-cast?? Last year they showed a direct green resin cast of the original phaser prop to start interest in it.

It also made plenty of Phaser sounds and the coolest thing was the clip. The top of it had a blue-ish LED and when inserted and lock-n-loaded it made a locking noise and powering up one too. :thumbsup

The Tric did light up and had lots of blinky random lights. As I said I don't remember it being too heavy so I can't say if it was metal or not? And it made a bunch of medical tric type noises too!

I hope that helps?
Bill P.
The Plasma Infusion
www.plasmainfusion.com

I'm sure they will do a great job on these. Most likely made of mainly plastic, like the props on the show. No real need for metal except in a few places like the hinges.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back