Looking for suggestions on a mechanism to rotate a head

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Let's say you have a large scale Martian War Machine, and you want to make that cobra neck gracefully swing from side to side, and you really don't want to spend the extra time to make the parts you've designed (using a disco ball motor and a cam/sliding track) just yet, because you remember seeing Xmas ornaments that had the "slow sweeping head movement" already figured out and ready for cannibalization. So you run to Google and you find... nothing. Where are all the outdoor animatronic wire reindeers when you need them?

Anyone know of an off the shelf solution, whether mechanical or using stepper motor(s)? I'd like to save some time, but it's looking like I'll be scratch building the mechanism if I can't find something online.

Help me rpf-kenobi, you're my current hope.

Thanks, Jason

My SOL ...what?

Ohhh, you mean YOU'RE SOL.

Sorry, it took me a second to translate your barbaric tongue.

Buuuurn.

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jul 14 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1280919[/snapback]</div>
My SOL ...what?

Ohhh, you mean YOU'RE SOL.

Sorry, it took me a second to translate your barbaric tongue.

Buuuurn.
[/b]

You were so much nicer when you signed my Guestbook on page 4....oh wait that wasnt me.

YOU KNOW IT....

Lol - thanks Juno, Google wasn't giving me anything good.

99¢ for a reindeer - so far so good.

Jade, you're(sic) dark heart is as dark as ever :D

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jul 14 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]1280926[/snapback]</div>
Jade, you're(sic) dark heart is as dark as ever :D
[/b]

Thanks I am named after the Dog. And does anyone still write like that? I mean to say who writes like that? You should be banned for having too much wit. Off to the Rumpus Room tell the AP for me okay.

Thanks. Yeah, that's pretty much what I had thought would work with the superdisco™ motor. Most Halloween hits I was getting were of the pneumatic figure variety.

Cannibalizing an oscillating fan - genius..

Jade - your dog is named Greg?

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jul 14 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]1280936[/snapback]</div>
Jade - your dog is named Greg?
[/b]

Yeah and she doesn't mind for crap. :angel

And can we please stop de-railing this thread, show some respect.

dunno if youve tried this yet,but go to hauntershangout.com there is some animatronic stuff there,just click props and you should find it.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back