Looking for some VERY light mats

ssloun

Hello guys, my question is : is there any super light material for casts?
My another hobby is RC models and i thought i could mold some nice cabine for my RC heli and then cast it and sell eventualy.So i made a mold and casted it with fiber glass.The weight is not bad but it could be better, so is there anythiing lighter then fiberglas?
Thanks for advice

Hello guys, my question is : is there any super light material for casts?
My another hobby is RC models and i thought i could mold some nice cabine for my RC heli and then cast it and sell eventualy.So i made a mold and casted it with fiber glass.The weight is not bad but it could be better, so is there anythiing lighter then fiberglas?
Thanks for advice

If you're doing RC parts, I assume you're using a woven glass cloth over chopped glass mat... ??

Either way, you can probably get "lighter weight" glass fabrics to cut down on weight... (ie - Veil). You'll need to look into a composites supply house to get a good selection. If you get an aircraft weave, you'll be able to form it to compound curves quite easily while maintaining high strength with fewer layers...

Also, if you're using polyester, switch to epoxy resin. It's stronger and lighter. Keep you're viscosity on the thin side and you'll use quite a bit less resin (which is the major weight factor in most 'homemade' fiberglass layups). There are of course lighter materials out there, but most cost quite a bit more money than your standard polyester/e-glass lay up...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back