looking for some help from all you wonderful ppl

nicothehunt

hello folks,i have been reading for the last few days and my eyes are starting to hurt i have a lot of great info that im going to use.but i was wondering if anyone can help me by giving me some liks to threads or anything on making a mask from beginning,anything that can get me going on my mask al help is appreciated.thanks.sorry for the inconvienence......i know i spelled that wrong lol.

what do you need to know exactly so it can be narrowed down ??>...

i know a few things,.....but just a few,.....

ok thanks,i guess steps.like sculpt,mould,cast..?i hate to be such a newb but i guess everyone has to start somewhere right.thanks again for your time.

go to huntorials on the main page,....

use the " SEARCH" button to see step by step tutorials,.....
just type in key words

Something that goes underutilized it the YouTube. Yes, there's a bunch of junk. There are gems too. Search for latex mask making and watch some people work. You will find a lot of monster masks that aren't preds, but once you understand the process you have a better idea where to start.

Pred specific stuff will be things like.
Use an armature thats bolted to a board and won't tip when it's heavy and offset to the back.
Add filler to the back of the head by gluing/screwing on something to make the sculpt lighter.
'D' size batteries are good for dread hole sizing.

Getting the proportions right is practice and reference. If you haven't seen one in person, they're bigger then you think.

Something that goes underutilized it the YouTube. Yes, there's a bunch of junk. There are gems too. Search for latex mask making and watch some people work. You will find a lot of monster masks that aren't preds, but once you understand the process you have a better idea where to start.

Pred specific stuff will be things like.
Use an armature thats bolted to a board and won't tip when it's heavy and offset to the back.
Add filler to the back of the head by gluing/screwing on something to make the sculpt lighter.
'D' size batteries are good for dread hole sizing.

Getting the proportions right is practice and reference. If you haven't seen one in person, they're bigger then you think.
If your starting as head get a scrap piece if 2x6 cut it in 2 ft pcs get a piece of plywood and screw it together make sure the screws are short don't screw them all the way throough get on ebay and buy a cheap 15.00 head and srew it down (you will need to screw it to the plywood first ) then you can start molding without any problems . I took some newspapers and filled in on the top of the head for filler if you don't the clay will become heavy and crack or even split apart (this is not good) good luck hope to see some pics if you go to the celtic hybrid mask final i am posting today thread you will see how i did it.

thanks for your info.i can use all the help i can get trying to get all my info and resources together then off i go.i will be posting pics of all that i do.thanks again,yu guys and gals rock.oh and if anyoneelse has any tips for me plz let me know.

If your starting as head get a scrap piece if 2x6 cut it in 2 ft pcs get a piece of plywood and screw it together make sure the screws are short don't screw them all the way throough get on ebay and buy a cheap 15.00 head and srew it down (you will need to screw it to the plywood first ) then you can start molding without any problems . I took some newspapers and filled in on the top of the head for filler if you don't the clay will become heavy and crack or even split apart (this is not good) good luck hope to see some pics if you go to the celtic hybrid mask final i am posting today thread you will see how i did it.

do you think a duct tape dummy head is ok to use as well or shold i get my self an armature head.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back