Looking for recommendations on apps or methods for maintaining an inventory of my collections

DracoAdamantus

I have many different collections (props, figurines, movies, books, art, costumes, etc.), and would like to start an inventoried database to both keep track of everything, and for insurance in case of a disaster. I eventually want to inventory everything I own, but starting with collections for now.

I have looked at several home inventorying apps, and each has a few good features, but none are all available in the same place

My hopeful features are:
- Either free or a one-time cost, not a monthly subscription
- Able to create custom categories, and can store multiple collections
- Can scan barcodes to upload general information on the item
- Can store pictures, manufacturer information, prices, and misc. notes on each item
- Works on both an iPhone and on a windows PC, and can back up the data

Does anyone have any app recommendations that could do as much of this as possible?

Or if not, how do you all keep track of your collections?

Seen a few companies try over the years. But since noone wants to pay a monthly subscription, it's pretty tough to maintain a system like that

I'm unsure why you would want to get so complicated with bar codes and such, unless it was for insurance purposes, however, if you use Windows, Wordpad can be used for text and photos and should satisfy insurance companies as proof in case of loss. A picture of the barcode, (if there is one) will do. You can put the photos on a USB stick or get a free gmail account and email them to yourself.

If you only have a phone, you can get a MS word app on that too.

TazMan2000

Not sure how applicable these may be for all of your specific needs, but you might take a look at these:

Omeka - Omeka
[Mainly designed for viewing of institutional collections, like an open-source PastPerfect, but I think you could just set it as privately viewable.]

Heurist - Home - Heurist Network

Last edited:
I use iCollectEverything to inventory my movie posters. Works well. PC version coming end of the year they are saying.

You could use a photo hosting site, like Amazon photos, Shutterfly, Fotki, etc…

Set up folders by category (figures, props, books, etc…) snap a photo of each item and add whatever info you deem necessary (like price, re-sale value, details) to the photo caption.

There might be a photo sorting/storage/sharing app that would work but I haven’t looked.

A while ago I too looked into the idea of having an inventory, but there was nothing out there that offered what I needed.

Then I started looking into HTML templates.

The idea was to buy a ready-made template and host a local only website, either running from one of my local drives or from a flash drive.

I spent a lot of time looking at (and trying) templates on a site called Envato Market.
Their HTML template site is called Theme Forest > HTML Templates - HTML Website Templates | ThemeForest

You can spend a LOT of time going through all sorts of templates.
Not sure if this solution covers all your requirements but it might give you some ideas.

A while ago I too looked into the idea of having an inventory, but there was nothing out there that offered what I needed.

Then I started looking into HTML templates.

The idea was to buy a ready-made template and host a local only website, either running from one of my local drives or from a flash drive.

I spent a lot of time looking at (and trying) templates on a site called Envato Market.
Their HTML template site is called Theme Forest > HTML Templates - HTML Website Templates | ThemeForest

You can spend a LOT of time going through all sorts of templates.
Not sure if this solution covers all your requirements but it might give you some ideas.
Hmmm...now that's an interesting may to do it. Definitely worth looking into.

I use iCollectEverything to inventory my movie posters. Works well. PC version coming end of the year they are saying.

Yeah I saw them when I was doing my research, it's the best one I've seen so far. I'm waiting for the desktop app, it was getting too hard to input information on my phone. My only real issue with it is that I can't assign a collectible to multiple categories, or search across the entire collection by a specific quality (series, for example)

Just a cursory question with regards to documenting collections. Does anyone one here, or any collector you know of, work their collection into their estate planning? I only ask because I know some long time fans have amassed a considerable amount of items over a lifetime and I was just curious as to whether or not they make long term plans for their pieces after they're gone? It's more of a logistical question than anything else, so I don't mean to sound morbid about it. :lol:

When I’m in my ‘golden years’ I plan to give most of my collection to each of my 4 kids who grew up with me and all my stuff. That way it’s already been passed on way before I die so I can watch them enjoying it and no fighting about who gets what after I’m dead because I’ve already given it away. Reducing my collection by splitting it up to my kids when I’m a senior will also help my wife and I if we decide to downsize from our current house to a smaller house and/or assisted living.

To me, it’s just stuff and I’ve gotten to enjoy it all most of my life, I’m excited to see my kids enjoying it. Plus, what’s the point of dying with a ginormous pile of stuff- just to die knowing I owned it all up until my last breath? Sounds like a sad way to live (and die) to me.

Just a cursory question with regards to documenting collections. Does anyone one here, or any collector you know of, work their collection into their estate planning? I only ask because I know some long time fans have amassed a considerable amount of items over a lifetime and I was just curious as to whether or not they make long term plans for their pieces after they're gone? It's more of a logistical question than anything else, so I don't mean to sound morbid about it. :lol:
I have zero idea who will get it, I'm in my mid 20's and don't really have a plan of having a family, so whoever is actually getting it I likely haven't even met yet.

But aside from insurance that is one of the main reasons I am trying to do this, in a more detailed manner than just a photo and description. The main thing keeping me from using an excel or google sheet is the fact that I need to be able to track items across multiple categories, each of which will have distinct details, but all link back to each other and update any linked information should an item change. Like if I have a signed replica of Gray's Sports Almanac, that would be listed under books, prop replicas, and autographs. That, and I also want to be able to search across multiple types of collections by things like series of genre. Both of which I tried to do in excel and it was extremely messy to say the least, and not reliable enough for the amount of information I am eventually wanting to store.

Ultimately I think I will need to build my own database in Microsoft Access.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back