Looking for puppet mech tutorials - cables

fallimar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks,

I've been meaning to learn how to make simple mechanical puppeteered parts for my costumes for a long time, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding suitable reference material. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to all this, I do moving jaws on my masks just fine (simple hinge and spring setup, jaw operated) and I've prototyped a giant hand and a simple claw mech using random stuff from my house, but I'd love to check out some established knowledge to help get me further.

Most links I've found to puppet building sites are dead, and a lots moved on to youtube but I have issues with video tutorials for various reasons so can't really benefit from those. Does anyone have any good written/visual tutorials or how-tos for puppet mechs, specifically brake cable or similar?
For context I want to do moving eyes, eyelids and mouth mechanics that are not directly connected to my head. Just need some solid places to start learning more.

Hey man, I'm with ya, have you found anything good since your last post? One thing I recommend getting all of the Jim Henson Coffee table books you can, if you keep an eye on ebay you can score them for next to nothing, they have lots of great reference material, also the center for puppetry arts in Atlanta Georgia has a lot of good displays that show some rigs well, I've yet to find any good tutorials either. In the next year I intend on going to the next Puppeteers of America convention and attending some workshops, and working on getting a short together to submit to the Jim Henson Foundation for a possible grant, there are a couple of podcasts about puppeteering out there that mentioned how great the workshops are, Puppet Tears and Below the Frame.

Btw, I am studying 3D modeling and rapid prototyping so if you've got some designs and would like some parts modeled and printed I'd be thrilled to work with you.

¿Alguien sabe cómo funcionan los brazos de Tutter? El ratón de Bear and the Big Blue House.

[MEDIA = youtube] e1rTMfeeFH8 [/ MEDIA] hola; tengo entendido que es un resorte o pequeña manguera segmentada en cortes que hacen que al tirar un cordel que va en si interior se contraiga y al soltar estire !! saludos

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back