Looking for opinions on mold making kits

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

denali

Hello everyone, I am in the process of planning of making my first clay sculpture and then making a mold of the sculpture in order to make resin copies. Although, what I am planning on making is not used in any movies, (but I am hoping similar ones are used in the future Dr. Seuss movie) I am not sure if this is exactly the right place to post I do not want to get on anyones bad side being a new member. But the work I see that members of this fourm create are outstanding so I can't think of a better place for advice. The piece I am hoping to make is part of Dr. Seuss's Taxidermy collection 'Sawfish' which can be seenn in the link Art of Dr. Seuss - Unorthodox Taxidermy

I am considering purchasing the alumilite casting kit available through hobby
lobby, but I know the supplies will not be enough to make the Sawfish.

I also considered making the Sawfish out of foam and fiberglassing it, but the fish body itself has a sand paper type texture so I am not sure fiberglass would work all that well.

If anyone has used a specific kit that they liked or worked well for them and didn't mind sharing I would appreciate it.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alumilite is okay, but resins have a shelf life and the stuff at Hobby Lobby, etc isn't always the freshest. Pretty good chance you could get an old batch and the resin will be no good.

A good place to start checking out would be Smooth-On's website, or Reynold's Advanced Materials (Smooth On's distributor). They do mail order and offer small sample kits that are perfect for small projects like this and you don't have to worry about getting material that's sat on the shelf for months at a time.

Go to the siliocone rubber section and look up Oomoo. It's an easy to use silicone that's mixed 50/50, so you don't need a scale. I'd also recomend their Onyx resin as it works well for brushing into a mold. You could easily do that whole fish with one $20 sample kit.

The other starter tips would be to make sure you sculpt with a sulfer free clay as it can inhibit the curing of silicone and leave you with an ugly mess, and dust your mold with talc to help prevent bubbles.

Hopefully this should get you started. Feel free to throw out any other questions you have and be sure to post pics of your project. You're also welcome to PM me if you can't get a question answered.

exoray

Master Member
Alumilite is okay, but resins have a shelf life and the stuff at Hobby Lobby, etc isn't always the freshest. Pretty good chance you could get an old batch and the resin will be no good.
Although they do have a shelf life the factory sealed containers last well beyond the length they would likely sit on any store shelf... The shelf life really starts to tick away once you open them and expose them to oxygen and humidity. Even then I have used several year old containers of Alumilite resin I had sitting around and the only ill effect, after you get past the crusties (that happen almost overnight) was that the kick time was shortened...

The Alumilite or Smoothon starter kits will give you a feel for the stuff, but to be blunt there isn't one all purpose for everyone resin, a lot of it is personal preference or the project requirements...