Looking for mold making info

totenkopf

:confused Greetings all, I am new to the forum and am really enjoying the site. I am thinking of trying to sculpt and cast a couple figures and some sci fi props,etc. I am looking for a good 'average joe' article on the right casting rubber material,what kind of resin to use,etc. I have Modelers resource #47 which covers the casting of a model but I missed #46 -'how to make a mold- and have been unable to find any old back issue any where. Can you guys help me out,give me some links,tips ,etc. I appreciate all comments and look forward to trying to bring something to a solid form instead of just on paper.

:D Thank's you guys, I have printed the article and have the link added as a favorite. Looks like I will be able to do this afterall without too many headaches. I will post an update as soon as I get the stuff underway.....probably in 1-2 weeks depending on my work/freetime schedule permits.

I'm actually looking for some similar information and those were very valuable links...

I do have a question regarding small model pieces and the best methods to cast them. I don't want to glue the model pieces down to secure them because that would likely destroy them, however I need to have the back side of them "evened out" so I can glue them onto a sphere for my Jedi Training Remote.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to secure these small pieces for molding without gluing them down?

Thanks.

i've read alot of tutorials and am interested in starting too. but can anyone tell me where to obtain these casting resins? are they available at hobby shops or will i need to order them?

I buy my stuff from Vagabond Corp. They have pretty reasonable prices and good stuff.

The problems I've been having is operator error and not the quality of the materials. :)

Originally posted by Dante8@May 29 2005, 07:21 PM
I'm actually looking for some similar information and those were very valuable links...

I do have a question regarding small model pieces and the best methods to cast them.  I don't want to glue the model pieces down to secure them because that would likely destroy them, however I need to have the back side of them "evened out" so I can glue them onto a sphere for my Jedi Training Remote.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to secure these small pieces for molding without gluing them down?

Thanks.
[snapback]999038[/snapback]​

Well, for small flat pieces, I use white or tacky glue to secure the pieces onto the bottom of the moldbox. This is temporary and the glue will come off with water.

if you need a back surfaced evened out, use some plasticine clay, such as Kleen Klay.

:confused Hi guys,I forgot about the potential problems with doing small pieces and thin flat pieces ,such as knife blades ,thin wing structures etc. Thank you Bowjunkie,Dante8,Tallis,Trekprop for the reminder and added info. Now I have to start prepping the 'lab' -evil snicker. Hey I was wondering, I did read that you can use a VERRY thin layer of vasaline on the master part to help release the rubber from the part after pouring,is this ok? I donot think mold release will wwork since you are making a mold and not casting a part.... I know,I need to re-reead the links I already have,but would like to know if this is a viable alternative... Night all. ;)

if you're in the UK you can buy the rebound 25 and the casting resin from Curetime.co.uk
they have ALL the smooth-on supplies. Although I'd prefer to buy it in the states as it's slightly cheaper...I'm homesick :( :p

You can wax them down using a wax pen- it doesn't hurt the masters and cleans off easily. Clay or sculpey on the bottom of the piece would also hold it down...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back