Looking for honest feedback on my mask

Elkman

Sr Member
I need some honest opinions on my P1 Predator mask. I think I got the proportions wrong, and the hairline is just too low in back. Here are a couple pictures:
MaskComplete-5-600px.JPG

WorkInProgress-024-600.jpg

I really think the back of the head should have sloped up higher now that I've seen more pictures of everyone else's masks. Back when I was sculpting the original last winter, I was using an action figure as the model, and the hairline looked like it was flat in back. Here's what the action figure looks like, assuming I can hotlink into spawn.com:
alienpredator_predator-ref_photo_03_dp.jpg

Of course, since my head is higher than that of the action figure's, I sort of compromised. I also think the mandibles project a little too far out in front.

Now that I've been thinking about it more, it's just bugging me. I've been debating whether I should sculpt a new mask, or just live with the one I've got. I'd like some honest opinions on this. Should I do a new sculpt, or should I spend time working on other stuff like animatronic gizmos?

Everytime I feel uneasy with one of my sculpts, I simply start it all over again. It's the only way to get better and better. Your mask would need a bigger crown and bigger mandibles. But what I think you need the most is a more complex painting. With a poor painting, the most awesome sculpt will look just fake. In your case, the colours you use make it look like a cartoon. Try to add more depth and naturality to your painting, using airbrush and washes.

as far as salvaging the mask, i agree with yarko, the paint job needs more depth, layers, clear coats in between layers, tis the main problem. and i'm sure there's more than a few tutorials to suit your needs around here

don't know if those mandibles are hollow or not, but if you could put a few hanger pieces in there to give those puppies a more closed mouth position, with the last "knuckle" of the bottom mandibles at more of an upward right-angle, it would look better too.

certainly don't just throw it away though bud

I think it looks pretty good. A better paint job will help it out. Definatley give it a wash and you will see more details pop out. Shading and highlights will take that mask far.

The crown could do with being a bit higher, certainly, but like everyone has said, what would really work wonders with it would be a better paint job. Maybe you were just rushing to get it done, but I would play around with that some more.

Thanks for the opinions. I think what I'll do is cast a new mask out of that mold and give it a new paint job. I don't think I could really repaint the current mask because I've already attached dreads and coated it with Perma-Wet, and I don't know if paint would stick well to Perma-Wet. Besides, starting a paint job from scratch would be a fresh start, and I wouldn't be dealing with the preconceived notions of the other one. (If you know what I mean. I'm not phrasing myself very well.)

Maybe later this fall or winter, I'll start a new mask sculpt. I'd also like to do a couple bios that looked good in the comics, like that other one from "Predator: Cold War" that I liked.

I recon the hair line would benefit from raising up a little, sorry mate. Not bad all the same though much better than what I could do bro

To be brutally honest? I don't think there is anything you can do to salvage that mask. Call me spoiled, but did you check out any of the other masks on the forum that the guys make? You can pick up a raw one pretty cheap and paint it yourself. I'd get rid of the chest armor and repaint the body suit. I'm sure you can find more accurate chest armor here. Also the dredds need to go. Those don't look natural one bit. Get a set from Bambooie

i suggest a start over on the sculpt, adding more of a crown and make the brows more angry looking. BUT!!! i could reall see this mask turn into the super black predator with a new paint job and put the dreads in the back. just cut out upholstery foam for the brows and top/ side of the head for that weird design and cover it in latex. this mask could be salvaged for that

Just to put a postscript on this story: I ordered a Pete Mander mask today. When I get it, I'm going to have to be a lot more careful with the paintup, especially in regard to getting the colors right and getting the detailing to look good. I just hope I can come up with something that's Lair-worthy in time for Dragon*Con.

It just really bothers me that I'm supposedly a master-class costumer and that I've won three awards for my costumes, yet I still can't get simple proportions and scaling right.

i think it a good mask, maybe put a spin on it and make it an elder with like a receiding dread line ,and you wont have to do such an extensive job,lotta quills and a new paint job and your good man

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back