Looking for help with motorized/moveable parts in a prop gun from Destiny!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

garrettpounds

Hello all. I’ve had the idea to make the Devil’s Ruin sidearm from Destiny 2 ever since I first saw it. I also just recently bought my first 3d printer, and I want to make the DR as a 3d printed prop! However, I also want it to function like it does in the game. The primary fire is just like a regular gun, shooting semi-automatic; but holding down the trigger charges up a fusion fire and does a fiery death-beam from hell. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the slide actually opens up while it’s charging the fusion attack.
Now, I found the DR model from a Destiny STL generating website, and in Blender i was able to separate all of the individual components of the weapon, including the hinges on which the slide pieces pivot. My thought is that i want to figure out some way to motorized the hinges and have the slide pieces actually move outwards while it “charges”, however i am still new to prop making, and even newer to modeling and printing; and i’ve got NO experience with electronics, let alone motors.
If there’s anyone out there who’s a bit more experienced and can help me out in designing/ modeling the parts, as well as finding the right size motors, I’d be eternally grateful!
Thanks for the help!

(I’ll also link some attachments to show the “charge” and the slide opening)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

NCHammer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm no expert (I'm sure there are plenty of people who know more about electronics than me on here), but I would have thought wiring a couple of push-pull solenoids or linear motors would work. Not sure how loud they are though.

McFlyte

Looking at the video I think solenoids would not work as well as a motor or servo. In my experience solenoids are either on/off with a snap action. The action of the pistol in the video moves out over about a second, which I think would be better represented with a servo. I've attached a picture of what I would try, just looking at the geometry of the pistol.

Perhaps use a scissor mechanism to keep the two halves of the slide parallel and actuate them with a servo. The servo arms rotate ~90deg pushing out each half of the slide.

1582498992462.png

zapwizard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A solenoid will take quite a bit of power compared to a servo. Making battery operation difficult. What McFlyte posted is a good solution.
My only recommendation is to use metal pins/shafts as guides to slide the sides along. You can purchase these from eBay/McMaster in all sizes. Or take apart a old CD/DVD drive and get two good slide pins for free.