Looking for Electronics Help/Suggestions on Cylon Raider.

Rahn420

I am looking for someone I can commission to either build, or possibly direct me to a source or educational materials on constructing a board. Beyond wiring up simple LED circuits, my electronics knowledge is slim.

I am building the Moebius 1/32 Cylon Raider from the original series. This will include an added interior with the three Cylon crew.

What I am trying to do is create the illusion of the scanning 'eyes' on the crew.
Each crew figure has three fiber optic lines running to their visors and I want to try to animate them.
I'm lookin for a three LED chaser board that also occilates... 1,2,3,2,1, etc. Possibly with a speed adjustment.

Something else I would like to do is light the cannons.
I've seen others do this, but it has either been a steady blinking light or a light on a momentary switch.
What I would like is something more like 'burst' fire... three or four flashes separated by pauses, possibly random.

Rated for 12v. I'm not necessarily looking for both actions being on the same board.

I'm just seeing if there are possibilities, or if I need to move forward without these functions.

Hi, I produced a lighting set for this kit when it originally came out - I may have some left somewhere in the workshop. It included flickering lights for the engines, random firing guns and static lights for the front lights and underbelly lights.
I also have some generic modules that I could program for the chaser sequence.

Here's a couple of videos of the main kit.

Evan designs sells a very affordable chaser LED unit. 3 or 5 volt. 4 led or 8 led.
$ 15 if I recall correctly. Helluva deal. I have the 8 led Larson scanner in a 1/25 KITT model

Thanks for the replies.

Antsnest...
Very nice looking Raider.

I like your lighting solution. I have already been working on my own lighting as far as the engines, headlights and spot lights. My missing piece(s) are the crew scanning eyes and the cannon fire lighting.

I heard from TenaControls. He has a kit designed for the Cylon Centurion from the Galactica reboot. I have some questions out to him regarding a couple of details.

One of my concerns is that his cannon fire mechanism is based on an LED mounted to the board and fiber optics running to the gun barrels.
My guns already have LEDs inside them with fiber running through the barrel with two wire leads out the bottom.

I get the impression that your guns work by wire to an LED that I could tie into. I also assume that the flashing circuit is built onto the engine board(s). Although, I don't need the engine lights, I imagine I could cover them and put the board elsewhere in the model.

Are both boards required, or can the kit be trimmed down to one board and still work. Also, can it be wired into a 12v system or require a stepdown to a lower voltage.

This all assumes that you still have any kits available.

I'm also curious as to what you used for diffusion. It looks more interesting than a plain white panel.

Here are a few pics of my engine work and one of the crew heads. It only has one fiber in this photo. There will be three fibers per head.

Attachments

• P1010691.jpg
    P1010691.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010692.jpg
    P1010692.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010693.mp4
    947.5 KB
  • P1010650.jpg
    P1010650.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 97
If anything falls through here is a backup...
This Scrolling LED LED pattern is also used in the Cylon Raider Eye for you Battlestar Galactica Fans. Of you can use it in other models that need a cool effect as well

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back