Jurassic World: Dominion Kayla Watts stun gun prop build (pictures)

RaggedEarth

I have screen grabbed all images from the movie I can and have 3D modeled what I know of it to the best of my abilities. Does anyone know of the studio or person that was in charge of creating the hand props for the movie? Or maybe concept art of it? Any information or leads on better reference images would be greatly appreciated!
JWD stungun.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-13 180526.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-13 180601.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-07 160115.jpg

Perhaps you've already tried this, but I occasionally find success by individually searching the names of all the relevant credited art department crew. It's tedious, as many of them will be dead-ends, but I'd say maybe 1 in 20 generally turns out to have a decent personal website with a listed contact. Those who work in graphic design / 2d illustration as opposed to 3d sculpture / fabrication tend to be better bets, so the concept art route may be more fruitful. I also often experience better luck with those further down the totem pole who have a need to actively promote their skills, so don't discount the juniors / assistants / trainees.

Even if the crew member doesn't appear to have worked on this particular prop, an email inquiring whether they happen to know who was responsible for it (ideally including a bit of genuine praise for whatever they did contribute) may get you a lead. Just a few weeks ago, I tracked down the fabricator of a particular helmet who turned out to be entirely uncredited, thanks to contacting a credited costume design assistant who remembered the name!

Also, if you strike out with IMDb, it may be worth giving the actual credits sequence a quick skim, as not every name gets entered online.

Last edited:
Perhaps you've already tried this, but I occasionally find success by individually searching the names of all the relevant credited art department crew. It's tedious, as many of them will be dead-ends, but I'd say maybe 1 in 20 generally turns out to have a decent personal website with a listed contact. Those who work in graphic design / 2d illustration as opposed to 3d sculpture / fabrication tend to be better bets, so the concept art route may be more fruitful. I also often experience better luck with those further down the totem pole who have a need to actively promote their skills, so don't discount the juniors / assistants / trainees.

Even if the crew member doesn't appear to have worked on this particular prop, an email inquiring whether they happen to know who was responsible for it (ideally including a bit of genuine praise for whatever they did contribute) may get you a lead. Just a few weeks ago, I tracked down the fabricator of a particular helmet who turned out to be entirely uncredited, thanks to contacting a credited costume design assistant who remembered the name!

Also, if you strike out with IMDb, it may be worth giving the actual credits sequence a quick skim, as not every name gets entered online.
This is really good advice. I have been in the process of doing this and you are right, none of the names but one has been a dead end, david balfour the actual prop master. I can only find a phone number associated with him. But honestly I had discounted the assistants / trainees. I will start combing through them as well. I feel kina like a private eye or something lol.

I feel kina like a private eye or something lol.
Glad to help. Yeah, it can feel like that! And sometimes people will even hire a private eye... go to 11:30 for a great story told by collector / Hollywood writer Dave Mandel:

Also, I forgot to mention that social media messaging sometimes facilitates breakthroughs when personal websites / emails are nonexistent or inactive. You shouldn't expect a high rate of return - the vast majority will simply disappear into the ether, at least judging by my experience - but I've managed to reach a handful of people that way. And funny enough, save for the rare months-later exception, those who respond tend to do so almost immediately (within minutes or hours, or at most a day)!

Hey, so I posted a little bit ago looking for information on Kayla Watts's stun gun, and want to thank this awesome community for the help. So, here is the best approximation of the stun gun that I was able to model, print and finish. This was a really fun build, and when I revisit it in the future there is a lot I know I can do better. Let me know what y'all think.
Modeled in Fusion 360:

jwsg v4.jpg

Printed on my FDM Sidewinder X2:
20220913_093844.jpg
Finished with a whole lot of sanding, primer, paint, and leather:
Reddit shot taser.jpg20220921_191046.jpg20220921_191028.jpg20220921_191023.jpg
Reference pictures used:
JWD stungun.jpgScreenshot 2022-09-07 160115.jpgScreenshot 2022-09-07 160331.jpg

Attachments

• 20220907_123207.jpg
    20220907_123207.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220921_191034.jpg
    20220921_191034.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 77
Holy crap this is massively impressive just from the movie stills.

I actually had a hand in making the originals for Dominion, and was thinking to make my own model from reference images i have, and looking over them on this you pretty much hit it spot on! well done!!

Holy crap this is massively impressive just from the movie stills.

I actually had a hand in making the originals for Dominion, and was thinking to make my own model from reference images i have, and looking over them on this you pretty much hit it spot on! well done!!
Whow, i genuinely did not expect someone who actually worked on the movie to find my post! That really is crazy!! I appreciate the compliment. Would it be possible for those reference images to be shared?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back