Looking for advice on putting together a Darth Vader costume.

Bosco

I'm posting this for several reasons, the main one would be; posting items that I may buy from makers, and get advice and thoughts on those items and makers. Also to document any work that I might do to those items, or if any scratch building is to take place. I am looking to get something together that may not be any film version specific to start with, but I would like it to be clean and accurate, in the hope eventually I may get something that is a full set. I'm not looking to have this rated by any organisations or clubs. This is purely something for me to achieve. I understand that this may take some time, as I'm not simply looking to throw money at this, although I'm aware this is not going to be cheap. I want to be involved if I can in some of the making process if possible. Big thank you in advance to anyone that joins in on this journey.

Hi Bosco and welcome ... gathering info is the most important part in making a Vader costume ... and eventhough you're not going for any SLD approval this next link : http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?/forum/3-darth-vader-armored/ will get you all the available knowledge you can muster about Vader. By becoming a member and posting 1 post, if I recall correctly, you even get access to the general store where you can find new as well as used parts, depending on your budget. I made a Vader costume for a friend of mine and never wanted approval either by any club ... but having access to so many vendors and used Vader stuff made it quite easier and much more enjoyable :)

Darth Ugly Vader ESB Stripdagen1.jpg

I scratchbuild the belt buckle (from ABS plastic) and those beltboxes myself and my late dad made the leds and electronics work properly.

Chaïm

Hi Bosco and welcome ... gathering info is the most important part in making a Vader costume ... and eventhough you're not going for any SLD approval this next link : http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?/forum/3-darth-vader-armored/ will get you all the available knowledge you can muster about Vader. By becoming a member and posting 1 post, if I recall correctly, you even get access to the general store where you can find new as well as used parts, depending on your budget. I made a Vader costume for a friend of mine and never wanted approval either by any club ... but having access to so many vendors and used Vader stuff made it quite easier and much more enjoyable :)

View attachment 1457666

I scratchbuild the belt buckle (from ABS plastic) and those beltboxes myself and my late dad made the leds and electronics work properly.

Chaïm
Really appreciate the support, thanks for the link and the picture is amazing. I have defo read through the 501st Darth Vader info a good few times and have been researching here and there over the past few months. I have been a model maker for some years so would like to be involved somehow even if it's just paint. I've seen a soft parts set at crowprops that is a little costly, but I may go for the full set, as I cannot stitch at all. But I'm open to find it piece by piece if needed, Im very patient and want to enjoy the process just as much as owning a complete set. I've started work on some of the helmet electronics, breathing, voice changer, speakers, cooling etc. These are from parts I'm putting together myself. I've seen the price of some of the voice changers out there and while the cost is not out of my reach, I'm familiar with electronics and programming and they are massively over priced imo. Although one of them I seriously thought about getting is bang on, so if anyone owns one, I see can why it would be worth it. I will check out the general store here, and I'll start posting pictures of my progress.

Is it OK to have a breathing loop running whilst talking on a changer? I can add a push to talk to stop the loop, but I want everything hands free. I seem to recall the breathing did continue during speach in one of the movies? I suppose I could add sensor that pauses the loop when it picks up on my voice, not sure I wanted to go that far into it. Thanks in advance.

I know this has already been said, but there is about 15 years worth of research on Vader costuming at the Sith Lord Detachment forum. The SLD really is the RPF equivalent of all things Vader. There are guys including myself that have gone the DIY route and there are tons of tutorials on how to make just about any piece you may need. There are also reviews of just about every vender that sells anything Vader related. There is a lengthy thread about Vader Voice changers and I highly recommend looking into the Zoom multi-stomp guitar pedal. It has a very accurate pitch shifter and it is programmable with many other effects. If you listen carefully you can also hear the Darth Vader's breathing in the background while he is speaking in the movie. The best part about the SLD is that literally any questions you can think of can be answered by someone who has years of experience!

I know this has already been said, but there is about 15 years worth of research on Vader costuming at the Sith Lord Detachment forum. The SLD really is the RPF equivalent of all things Vader. There are guys including myself that have gone the DIY route and there are tons of tutorials on how to make just about any piece you may need. There are also reviews of just about every vender that sells anything Vader related. There is a lengthy thread about Vader Voice changers and I highly recommend looking into the Zoom multi-stomp guitar pedal. It has a very accurate pitch shifter and it is programmable with many other effects. If you listen carefully you can also hear the Darth Vader's breathing in the background while he is speaking in the movie. The best part about the SLD is that literally any questions you can think of can be answered by someone who has years of experience!
Thank you for joining in and I thank you for your advice and help. I really appreciate the support. I will be doing lots of research and reading. I am sure that some of the older posts/threads hold a world of relevant information, and having access to all of those processes and ideas, will only give me a greater depth of understanding. One of the main reason for posting is to share my journey with people that can respond and react to what I am doing or experiencing, give feedback and criticism. Thanks again for being a part of this.

Chasing the voice: Currently I have been trying to tweak an external sound card I had in a drawer, and getting some half ok results, to the average person I'm sure it would sound roughly like what they remember. To a fan, it's nowhere near.
I have seen people the use actual voice clips from the movies, and some that just use a breathing loop and don't talk at all. Some use phone apps. The two methods that really interest me was a sound card called vortex and the other is the guitar pedal method.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back