Looking for Advice on Dyeing Fabric

Felniirin

I'm currently working on a costume, making Jawa robes. The fabric I'm working with is monks cloth, 100% cotton. I dyed it once, with RIT dye (two dark browns, one sunshine orange), and it wasn't quite as dark as I wanted, so I dyed it a second time. I did the washer method, which for the most part turned out well, though in some places the dye seemed to pool (perhaps it became twisted in the wash?) and it's much darker than the majority. I would hide it with some weathering, though the worst of it is on the outside of the sleeves! I was wondering if there was any way to remove the dark spots without having to dye it a third time? Though if there's nothing I can do, would dyeing it a third time hide it? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I pre-soaked the fabric before dyeing and added salt to the dye bath.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not claiming to be a pro, but I've definitely done my fair share of dying.
Personally I stay away from the washer method for that exact reason.
I always do my dying in a large tub with stove boiled water from pots.
Half day soak, stirring and unraveling occasionally.
Ring and thorough rinse, then repeat whole process.
Always gives me a true consistent color.
Oh and always pre wash your fabric and pre wet the fabric before inserting it into the dye bath.

For your situation, I'd advise a third dying.
Rinse it thoroughly before the third bath though.
Good luck,
Robert

Thanks! Hopefully I can find a stainless steel pot or tub large enough to accommodate all the fabric if it comes down to that.
How do you recommend drying the fabric? Hang dry or dryer?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back