Looking for advice on achieving a very subtle oxidized steel effect

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a 1911 airsoft pistol to start with, so it is a combo of steel and aluminum parts painted a matte black color. The add-on bits are 3D printed resin. The look I'm going for is in the photos below. In most spots its a VERY subtle oxidized red/brown effect. Some rust in areas that the gun would receive a lot of hands on use. Love to get some very specific feedback on how to achieve this look. My initial thought was to start with Al-clad on the resin parts and then weather the metal parts down a bit so that everything is on a similar starting point. Thoughts?

Attachments

• serenity51.jpg
    serenity51.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • serenity52.jpg
    serenity52.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • serenity55.jpg
    serenity55.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 34
  • serenity56.jpg
    serenity56.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 32
  • serenity59.jpg
    serenity59.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 34
  • serenity60.jpg
    serenity60.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Madhatter

Is your subject going to be handled a lot? If not, Pigment powder is a good way to keep things subtle. Pigment Fixer will hold the colour in place.

Analyzer

Master Member
I might suggest painting those areas a reddish brown rust color, then mist coating over with the metallic color

another alternative is using oil paints sludge washes on those areas.

adamszki427

i just used some humbrol metalcote polished steel spray paint on a project, you paint it then buff it and the results are great especially with a bit of weathering - could be worth a look

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.