Looking for a Loki mask from "The Mask" replica.

Allpropedup

This post is a bit lengthy, so please bare with me.

I've been wanting to get an exact high quality replica of the Mask of Loki from "The Mask." So far, there are two places that I'm looking at. One is a seller from Etsy and the other is from Reelart.com.

The Esty seller's is a deluxe package that comes with a custom display plaque. It's a 1:1 scale prop made from resin, using the first generation mold used in the original movie, and has been hand painted by an industry professional in the USA. He's charging $450. $492 when you include sales tax.

Reelart's is also a 1:1 scale prop, using the original mold and made from resin. It also includes an easel for display. Including sales tax, it costs $87.

I know what everyone is thinking: "Ummm, duh! Go with the cheaper, Reelart mask!" But what's really confusing me is that if they are both made using the same mold, the same material and are painted the same way, why does does the Etsy mask cost so much more?

I've decided not to get the Etsy mask, as it is way overpriced. I was initially going to get the Reelart mask, but looking at it, the paint job actually looks quite different from the one featured in the movie. The Mask Loki Mask original movie prop

So yeah, I'm really on the fence here. I really hope that these aren't my only two options. Hopefully somebody can help me out. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that they are both the same just repainted by the Etsy seller. If you look the left of the mouth doesn't really match up well with the screen used hero.

I purchased a couple of Loki masks from an obsessed fan, (aren't we all!), who is also a very talented artist from Brazil I think. I found him on Facebook. (But he now has an Instagram under "Loki.Mask"). Check him out.

Either way, I was working on a small fish tank with my daughter and decided to use a Loki mask as the center decoration. It took me a awhile to find one I would be happy with. I've seen many that are just the worst. I did check out the REEL Art one but I could not find a single screen shot to match their screen used mask. I'm sure many masks were used, but honestly I was being picky.

So I found this artist who had already sculpted and re-sculpted and fine tuned the details on his Loki mask using screen shots and any available reference to the real deal he could find. To me, it looked phenomenal. I loved it. So I purchased two of them in case I screwed up the first one. I had never worked on a prop for a fish tank, so I had to use the proper sealant to submerge and keep underwater so that the finish won't kill any fish.

When the masks arrived they were great! But the paint finish I reworked on both. (Again, I was being picky). The underwater mask I sprayed a neon mix to get vibrant color under the black lighting in the tank. The second mask I repainted to match up to one scene in the film.

Anyways, here's how the tank looks. The front of the tank is domed, so the proportions look off. But for what it is, it works!
Loki 8.png
Loki 7.png
Loki 6.png

The second Loki mask below ended up in my office along with my other toys since it concerns my wife to see doubles in my collection.:lol:

Loki 2.png
Loki 1.png
Loki 3.png

Loki 5.png
Loki 4.png

Hope this info helps you out a bit. (y)

At the time, he charged me $85 US dollars per mask plus shipping. He does currently sell them on his facebook page shop. It's currently listed as R$299.90 (Brazilian Real Currency), so the US dollar conversion might be less than what I paid, but don't quote me on that.

That said, you're better off asking about the mask first. You see, at the time, there were two different color options. But that wasn't the cost difference. The cost difference came in when he asked me if I wanted a hollow or solid mask. (The mask is made of strong resin I believe). Both I purchased are solid, because I wanted heft, specially for my aquarium build. The hollow version is designed not just to be lighter in weight, but also to float, if you were looking for such effect. (If I had a koy pond, I would have a floating mask set up with and anchor :lol: ).
Just ask, he's willing to help out with the details. Even with his painting process. If there is any detail or look you're going for, let him know. He'll accommodate. I personally repainted mine, but I tend to picky.

Any who, hope this info helps. The seller/artist is a really nice guy, who during the whole process would send me updates with pics, videos and all through Instagram. So you get see his process every step of the way.

I´ve seen pics of a raw cast that was full of airbubbles.You can also see that in his castingvideo.
But when he removes all the defects before he paint and ship the mask is all good. ;)
Do you have seen a pic where he is building the master for the mask?Or is it a 3D print?

There's two people out of Brazil I've found that sell these masks. The masks you bought and posted are from the same person with all the air bubbles. If he were to fix that issue with the mold I would for sure buy a mask.

I´ve seen pics of a raw cast that was full of airbubbles.You can also see that in his castingvideo.
But when he removes all the defects before he paint and ship the mask is all good. ;)
Do you have seen a pic where he is building the master for the mask?Or is it a 3D print?
I was sent many pics and video through Instagram but it was the process behind the mask I purchased. No, I don't think he 3D prints. It's all hand made. I remember his facebook last year showing pics of a new mold out of his latest sculpt. (At least I believe that's what he wrote.) Very interesting, bubbles or not I lucked out with the two I have and am very happy with them. They both served they're purpose. ;)

There's two people out of Brazil I've found that sell these masks. The masks you bought and posted are from the same person with all the air bubbles. If he were to fix that issue with the mold I would for sure buy a mask.
Wasn't aware there were two people. I think I lucked out by finding one of them all things considered.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back