Looking for a CAD designer - Sandtrooper MG-15 scope mounts.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I have had an original MG-15 for more than a decade now. I also have all three of the original scopes... more than $3k worth in total... all sitting in a heap. Why? Because I don't have the custom mounts to attach them to the gun. I have had no less than 3 designers work on this project... with NONE of them ever finishing the task. I know OdiWan72 wants these as well and I am sure there are others out there. Well... this is the year. Come hell or high water, I am getting it done.

I know there are others who have made these pieces, but to date I haven't seen them made the way I believe the originals were created.

So, who can help out with this? Not looking for a hand-out. I am more than willing to pay to get someone to design these correctly... but I want to make sure they are done to my specs. Anyone up for it or know someone who is?

Here is pretty much the only reference we have of the two mounts. :(

rt-97c-heavy-blaster-rifle-mounts-1.jpgrt-97c-heavy-blaster-rifle-mounts-2.jpgrt-97c-heavy-blaster-rifle-mounts-3.jpgrt-97c-heavy-blaster-rifle-mounts-4.jpgrt-97c-heavy-blaster-rifle-mounts-5.jpg

Last edited:
I know of a 3D designer who loves SW. You might want to reach out to FZ6. He's a busy guy, but it's a shot.

I'd be happy to take a look at it. I do a lot of Solidworks work and this seems like it'd be fairly simple.

Hey Art

was in believe that you were just looking for a machinist who could do these for us...
I could recommend Stinson aka SteveStarkiller for 3D modelling

what are the options once the models are done? Do you plan to have these machined, 3D printed or what?

Thanks for taking the time to start this thread!

Markus

With regards to the actual mounts...the one below the snooper scope looks a LOT like the mount on the Ponda Baba blaster, just with differently positioned mounting holes. Don't know who did the PB mount for a small group back the days, but kurtyboy should remember hopefully.

The two clamps, that they used to secure the Snooper scope to the mount could be hard to find

The T-Mount for the Enfield scope should be pretty simple, IF somebody is able to weld the arm to the base. The real task lies in getting the angle correct, so that the Enfield scope sits parallely to the MG 15 barrel jacket.

Markus

While not 100% familiar with CAD software, I do a lot of my work in Sketchup for our Star Wars props. A garrison mate is going to be lending me his MG-34 so we can make some blasters from it and am going to have to do up some models for the parts I just can't find. I can try to work on this part as well if you would like. With some good shots and a measurement of the scope I should be able to get this modeled for you. I don't have any machining equipment though, so you would have to find someone who could actually mill it.

I may be way off here and I apologize if this is common info but isn't the mount for the forward scope just an Enfield Mk 4 sniper mount with a bent rod in back to attach to the base. The ends of the rods were probably threaded so nuts could be used. As Markus said, the rod would need to be welded to the base on a surrogate barrel to make sure it is aligned.

Hi Steve

Art is not referring to the Enfield mount, we have that covered. He/we is/are looking for someone who can actually DO the T-shaped mount to attach it.
In addition to that he´s looking for somebody to design the mount/ scope rail, which the snooper scope is attached to.
Like I said, IMHO it looks just like the scope rail of the PondaBaba blaster...waiting for Art to chime back in.

Markus

Last edited:
...I have no problem doing this and getting it 3d printed as long as I know exactly what you want, and dimensions etc... :)

Minifig

Sorry... sorry.

You are right on with a number of your accessments. Speaking of the Ponda Baba rail... I might still have one of those floating around somewhere. Will have to check. I now have a designer on the case and we should have drawings soon (relatively speaking) and then machined parts for our guns. Will post pics as soon as we have something from the designer.

Looking good from what I can see.
Do you have a side by side comparsion to the actual prop?

What software did you use for this?

Markus

Cheers,

I just used a lot of photo reference, I could find none of the actual original 'straight on view,' but quite a bit of the WWII guns.

Cinema4D

J.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back