(Long term care and handling) tune-up video

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rylo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, guys.

Here's a few tips on long term care and handling of the cryocan.

If you notice your 'pop-up' mechanism slowing down or you just want to see how everything fits together, here's a quick bench video for you. :thumbsup

(I'll get a new video up when time permits)

-Rylo

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

Re: JP Cryocan (Long term care and handling) tune-up video

That was very handy information, thank you for sharing. I often wondered how it went together, but because it's one of my prized pieces I didn't want to muck around and pull it apart just to find out.

I also had a look at your other videos. I have to get one of those working Sandman guns one day!

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks!

Some good info there!!!

4. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When I first got my can, I went in a sanded any burs off and also dusted a tiny bit of graphite in there as well. The mechanics are super slick now.

5. brivette007

brivette007 Active Member

Awesome, good to know. Mine's starting to get stuck halfway up, I'll have to dig into it later.

BTW is there any size difference between the barbasol 10 and 11 ounce cans? I know all the older runs used 11 ounce, but mine is 10. Just curious.
    (gotta love the times we're living in, where everything is dropping in size, but raising in price :rolleyes)

6. Rylo

Nope, just the number on the can.

They're on the shelf as 10 and 11 OZ. The dimensions are the same and the manufacturer bounces back and forth between the two. They're just skimping on the contents. Thank god they didn't change the size or the correct graphic of the can! I figure it's just a matter of time before they do though leaving us all with antique cans. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  7. Rylo

Thanks, man. Just doing my part. :thumbsup

I figure it's a good thing to know how to care for a functioning prop for the long haul.

8. brivette007

brivette007 Active Member

Actually, I feel a little silly now that I realized I have a can of 11 ounce in my bathroom to compare with:facepalm. The grocery store I work at received like 8 pallets of the stuff back in the fall, and we were selling it for less than 50 cents, so I stocked up.

It is surprising that after over 20 years, they still use the same graphics. Stick with what works I guess.

Anyway, I disassembled mine. Sure enough, there was a little burr on the top of the track. Filed that down, and it works like new.

9. Rylo

Good job! Yeah, there's nothin' to it. :thumbsup