London film museum Harryhausen exhibit

welshwarrior123

Well I went to foggy old London yesterday for a university trip. I managed half way through to sneak off so I could visit the London Film Museum. For the ticket price for whats on offer to see I thought it was incredible, and luckily most people dont fancy paying to see this stuff so it was relatively empty.As we got in I saw they had a Ray Harryhausen Exhibit on and instantly reminded me of Fantamations Cyclops build I read the day before.

The exhibit strictly said no photographs, I dont know the reason for this whether due to copyright infringements etc... But I had to get a few shots of some of these iconic pieces to show to you guys. I personally dont know if there are many photos of the originals but Ive never seen any. If there is any reason to not be able to show them I will take them down by all means.

DSCF3278.jpg

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3282.jpg

DSCF3284.jpg

DSCF3285.jpg

DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3288.jpg

DSCF3290.jpg

DSCF3291.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

It was a fantastic place to visit and I highly recommend it. I wanted to go for the Star wars stuff but I was disappointed by what they had, but the other stuff made up for it. The Brandon Routh supes suit, the Batman begins suit, lots of harry potter stuff and a couple of other cool pieces. I have other photos but not as good as the Harryhausen stuff. But like I said If im not allowed to show them or they have all ready been posted I apologize and will take them down if needed.

Welsh

The ymir is a later statuette, of course. The original is present too, though - all that is left of the cyclops is also all that is left of the ymir, Harryhausen having re-used the armature for 7th Voyage...

Thanks for bringing attention to this, I'll have to make a visit. Frustrating about the no-photo policy, it seems like something prop lovers would want to make sure was referenced in a lot of detail. Was it tricky to get shots unnoticed? Love to see more if you have them.

The no photo policy was only on the harryhausen stuff, which was a shame as it was easily the best part of the exhibit. It wasnt to difficult to get photos' mainly due to the place being empty. They had some Kong stuff in one room but there was an employee in there so I didnt risk it.

Found these on my phone, they had a special room for it with clips of the model from the film. There were quite a few people in here watching the clip so I had to use my phone. Sadly for me they came out better than my main camera so i may have to by a new one lol,

2012-04-11154327.jpg

2012-04-11154334.jpg

2012-04-11154341.jpg

Thats all I managed of this exhibit. Another cool thing they had there were studio scale X wings and a Tie, I really didnt know if they were really or not as there were alot of MR/Rubie display pieces on show in the star wars section, kinda disappointing, but the rest of the exhibit is fantastic.

I can't imagine keeping the movement of all those snakes in your head one frame at a time. "Was this one going left or right?" What talent.

Fantastic! I guess they didn't have the Kraken there. I hope it still exists somewhere in the world. Additionally, I always wanted to see the sword, Shield, and helmet from the original; there are no good photos of those, anywhere.

I went to this a while back and asked if I could take pics and was told take all I wanted.That was providing they didn't go on the web, so in good faith to this lady, I haven't posted any. She said the No photos policy was something to do with pictures popping up all over the web at the beginning of the exhibition from press etc. I suppose they want paying people through the door rather than pics on the web. Anyway I'm not saying don't post pics, post away..Im just passing on what I was told...it's great to see the pics.It was a nice display,...brought back lots of good childhood memories, Mr Harryhausen's fantastic work was what got me interested in special effects in the first place

Cheers

Phil

See that was why I was a little apprehensive about initially posting these. But I thought means that these are such iconic pieces, it would be a real shame for people on here not to see them due to there location and not being able to visit the exhibit.

My status still stands though, if these need to be taken down I will do that no problem.

Welsh

Cheers for posting these. I'm down in the Smog me-self next week, I might swing past the Museum and take a quick gander at them.

(Eek, I don't Adam and Eve it, I've come over all Cockney, Mary Poppins!)

However, according to the Museum website, they're also exhibiting Thatcher (Iron Lady) stuff as well. I'm not sure I can stomach that.

They give with one hand and take away with the other.
Dave
(from the People's Republic of South Yorkshire) :)

Thanks for the photos. Medusa has long been one of my favorite Harryhausen creations. I didn't know these still existed so it's great to see.

Craig

Hey guys, I got to see a similar exhibit in LA, and would like to contribute a few photos I took (maybe I missed the no photo policy, but there didn't seem to say anything...). I didn't use flash anyway, but the exhibit was well lit. Just a few glass reflections in these pics.

More reference is good, right? :)

Attachments

• 39026_451805506947_5289666_n.jpg
    39026_451805506947_5289666_n.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Just sent a suggestion to have these compiled into the reference gallery. :)

I probably still have slightly higher res images around if anyone needs them, PM me!

Hey guys, I got to see a similar exhibit in LA, and would like to contribute a few photos I took (maybe I missed the no photo policy, but there didn't seem to say anything...). I didn't use flash anyway, but the exhibit was well lit. Just a few glass reflections in these pics.

More reference is good, right? :)

Great pics man! Thanks a lot for these. Must have been a fantastic exhibition! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
If you have any other pics from the skeleton or the medusa pls post. Thank you

These models are in great condition. Are they made with latex? I would have thought, given how old they are that they might have deteriorated more.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back