London film museum Harryhausen exhibit

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by welshwarrior123, Apr 12, 2012.

1. welshwarrior123

welshwarrior123 Well-Known Member

Well I went to foggy old London yesterday for a university trip. I managed half way through to sneak off so I could visit the London Film Museum. For the ticket price for whats on offer to see I thought it was incredible, and luckily most people dont fancy paying to see this stuff so it was relatively empty.As we got in I saw they had a Ray Harryhausen Exhibit on and instantly reminded me of Fantamations Cyclops build I read the day before.

The exhibit strictly said no photographs, I dont know the reason for this whether due to copyright infringements etc... But I had to get a few shots of some of these iconic pieces to show to you guys. I personally dont know if there are many photos of the originals but Ive never seen any. If there is any reason to not be able to show them I will take them down by all means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a fantastic place to visit and I highly recommend it. I wanted to go for the Star wars stuff but I was disappointed by what they had, but the other stuff made up for it. The Brandon Routh supes suit, the Batman begins suit, lots of harry potter stuff and a couple of other cool pieces. I have other photos but not as good as the Harryhausen stuff. But like I said If im not allowed to show them or they have all ready been posted I apologize and will take them down if needed.

Welsh

robn1 likes this.
  2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Looks like a great display, thanks for posting pics! :thumbsup

3. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Seeing these brings back memories of a few classic movies.
    Thanks for taking the time to snap and post.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Look there, the Grand Vizer's mask from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Always wanted to do that one.

NICE!!!

5. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

The ymir is a later statuette, of course. The original is present too, though - all that is left of the cyclops is also all that is left of the ymir, Harryhausen having re-used the armature for 7th Voyage...

6. blipper

blipper Sr Member

Thanks for bringing attention to this, I'll have to make a visit. Frustrating about the no-photo policy, it seems like something prop lovers would want to make sure was referenced in a lot of detail. Was it tricky to get shots unnoticed? Love to see more if you have them.

7. welshwarrior123

The no photo policy was only on the harryhausen stuff, which was a shame as it was easily the best part of the exhibit. It wasnt to difficult to get photos' mainly due to the place being empty. They had some Kong stuff in one room but there was an employee in there so I didnt risk it.

Found these on my phone, they had a special room for it with clips of the model from the film. There were quite a few people in here watching the clip so I had to use my phone. Sadly for me they came out better than my main camera so i may have to by a new one lol,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all I managed of this exhibit. Another cool thing they had there were studio scale X wings and a Tie, I really didnt know if they were really or not as there were alot of MR/Rubie display pieces on show in the star wars section, kinda disappointing, but the rest of the exhibit is fantastic.

8. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Awesome stuff. That Clash of the Titans stuff really brings me back!

9. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't imagine keeping the movement of all those snakes in your head one frame at a time. "Was this one going left or right?" What talent.

10. jkno

jkno Master Member

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

11. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Wow great photos! Thanks for posting. Any full-body shots of the Cyclops armature?

12. Kingfrak

Kingfrak New Member

Fantastic! I guess they didn't have the Kraken there. I hope it still exists somewhere in the world. Additionally, I always wanted to see the sword, Shield, and helmet from the original; there are no good photos of those, anywhere.

13. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

I went to this a while back and asked if I could take pics and was told take all I wanted.That was providing they didn't go on the web, so in good faith to this lady, I haven't posted any. She said the No photos policy was something to do with pictures popping up all over the web at the beginning of the exhibition from press etc. I suppose they want paying people through the door rather than pics on the web. Anyway I'm not saying don't post pics, post away..Im just passing on what I was told...it's great to see the pics.It was a nice display,...brought back lots of good childhood memories, Mr Harryhausen's fantastic work was what got me interested in special effects in the first place

Cheers

Phil

14. welshwarrior123

See that was why I was a little apprehensive about initially posting these. But I thought means that these are such iconic pieces, it would be a real shame for people on here not to see them due to there location and not being able to visit the exhibit.

My status still stands though, if these need to be taken down I will do that no problem.

Welsh

15. Crippen

Crippen New Member

Cheers for posting these. I'm down in the Smog me-self next week, I might swing past the Museum and take a quick gander at them.

(Eek, I don't Adam and Eve it, I've come over all Cockney, Mary Poppins!)

However, according to the Museum website, they're also exhibiting Thatcher (Iron Lady) stuff as well. I'm not sure I can stomach that.

They give with one hand and take away with the other.
    Dave
    (from the People's Republic of South Yorkshire) :)

16. Tsophika

Tsophika Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos. Medusa has long been one of my favorite Harryhausen creations. I didn't know these still existed so it's great to see.

Craig

17. TripdWyr

TripdWyr New Member

Hey guys, I got to see a similar exhibit in LA, and would like to contribute a few photos I took (maybe I missed the no photo policy, but there didn't seem to say anything...). I didn't use flash anyway, but the exhibit was well lit. Just a few glass reflections in these pics.

More reference is good, right? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  18. TripdWyr

TripdWyr New Member

Just sent a suggestion to have these compiled into the reference gallery. :)

I probably still have slightly higher res images around if anyone needs them, PM me!

19. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Great pics man! Thanks a lot for these. Must have been a fantastic exhibition! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
    If you have any other pics from the skeleton or the medusa pls post. Thank you

20. mutronics

mutronics Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These models are in great condition. Are they made with latex? I would have thought, given how old they are that they might have deteriorated more.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  21. FANTAMATION

FANTAMATION Well-Known Member

PM SENT!!

22. TripdWyr

TripdWyr New Member

23. waynem0

waynem0 Active Member

Thanks so much for sharing these photos, amazing and I wish I had the chance to see them up close and in person, brings back some memories of the old childhood.

And you had my favourite too the Sabre Tooth Tiger guardian from Eye of the Tiger, now if only I could one commission built or find a resin model, it has to be my favourite of all time.

Thanks again, brilliant!

24. welshwarrior123

If you can get to it then go, its amazing seeing these up close. I think I actually have some more photos, but they are just from slightly different angles of what I already posted. I will have a look on my camera tomorrow to see.

25. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Pls do post them. Thank you

Thanks TripdWyr

26. goapebilly

goapebilly Active Member

I visited museum when i was in london last year,its right next to the london eye,but you would never know its there. there is tons of cool stuff, alot of bond props. They had a bunch of costumes from excalibur as well,plus tons of framed pieces from prop store of london on loan. there is a no photo policy on the thr harryhausen exhibit, but the museum is not really crowded and no one is there yelling at you for taking pics ,so i as well took a bunch . they also had a bunch of props from 28 days later,and the rage infected monkeys.
    it is absolutely worth the admission to go in, a must visit if in london. goapebilly

27. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did you take any photos of the flying saucers from "Eath vs The Flying Saucer"?

28. welshwarrior123

I didnt sorry, pretty much what I posted up is what I took. I can check if I did catch any of the saucers when I get home next week but I dont really remember them from the exhibit.

29. moonlightdrive2

moonlightdrive2 Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures guys. Thanks so much for sharing them.

30. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great pics, fellas!

Thanks for sharing.

-Rylo

31. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

It's amazing these have been preserved after all those years. Excellent shots - thanks for sharing!

32. ahoudini

ahoudini Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Coming to London this summer. I hope this exhibit is still up!

33. GF

GF Sr Member

Great photos guys thanks!!!!

Would be great if Sideshow would release these all time classic figures, I would definetely buy them all, we should do a petition maybe they will concider.

Gerardo

34. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great pics of some classic movie props. I've always wanted to do a Talos costume, but the full body prosthetic is beyond my ability.

35. Teddyboy16

Teddyboy16 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Just wow! :)
    Fantastic pictures. Thank you for sharing them!

36. redshirt

If anyone is going there, please check if they have the saucers. And post photos if they do.

37. welshwarrior123

Hey mate, I just checked through my photos and I dont have any shots of them, I cant remember if they were actually there or not to tell the truth.

welsh

38. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

These are screen caps from the DVD "Ray Harryhausen - Special Effects Titan", don't know if it helps at all
    This is the moment when the models were been taken off the boxes for the exhibition. The hands holding the saucer are Tony Dalton's

capturar.JPG capturar4.JPG capturar5.JPG capturar6.JPG capturar4.JPG capturar8.JPG capturar9.JPG

39. redshirt

Big Thanks for the caps! Did they say anything about the construction of the saucers (materials, etc.)?

Is the "Special Effects Titan" out in the USA yet? I saw that the UK had it on DVD, but not Region q USA yet.

40. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

You're welcome. At this part no, once they were only unpacking the stuff they got for the exhibition and someone was filming it
    I haven't seen all the DVD but the parts I've seen are GREAT (I have the UK R2 version and don't know if it's already out in the US - taking a look at Amazon US didnt't see it). When it comes out I strongly recommend you buy it. The DVD features analyses on Ray's main movies so I'm sure someting must be on the saucers

41. Rothgar

Rothgar New Member

I was in London a month ago and went to the Film Museum. Unfortunatly most of the Ray Harryhausen exhibit is gone. There are a few things remaining...the large statue of Ray with the skeleton, a King Kong and Talos model replica and a large Medusa and Talos statue. But it is a cool place to visit.

42. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Hi redshirt

Just saw the whole documentary and as to the flying saucers there's no info on what material it was used to made it; just some details on how the 3 nodules were made on the bottom to hold the saucer and explanations on how he puppeteered the disc with the wires. Also is explained that the discs were co-made by Ray's father Fred (as a lot of his models were). Hope this isn't a reason for you not to buy the DVD once it's a great documentary.

43. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

On a visit to Cleveland, Ohio years ago, he allowed audience members to view many of his replicas up close after his lecture. I believe the saucer was aluminum. I actually got to touch it. He was very casual about the attendees interacting with his artifacts. A super-nice guy.

44. redshirt

Which size one did you inspect and find to be aluminum? The 3", 6", or 12" one?

45. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

The 6 in. Somewhere, I have pics... on film- of the whole presentation. One of my shots of him was featured in a Starlog article- used to work for the mag.

46. FANTAMATION

FANTAMATION Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just found these pics yesterday (forgot I had em) that were taken 10 years ago when my friend was handling the Ackermansion estate sale, thought any Harryhausen fans here might get a kick outta them....... never mind the doofus in the pics LOL!!!

Beef 1.jpg Beef 3.jpg Beef 7.jpg Beef 10.jpg