LOM's Saber Projects: V3, V2, Buck, ANH-Barbican (new!), & Dooku(s)!

(2nd image is thanks to Rudy Villalpando/Spirit of ob1) I tried to find the original source for that one but no luck. It looks like its from the Archives as seen in the Original Prop Blog pics but it doesn't match any of those. Anyone got this one or know the source?
Yeah, that pic is from this book:

614wW-ee4bL.jpg

That's the only place that I've found it, personally. And your example is strangely skewed.

Small update for now... The first post has been updated to be useful for anyone venturing to make a V3 or know its history. (If any of the dates are wrong or I missed something let me know)

I think I've finally got the grenade rings dialed in! Maybe one or two spots that I'm about to touch up. Here's what it looks like now, though it doesn't look like a lot has changed

View attachment 1288574

Some checks on on the rings:

View attachment 1288575
View attachment 1288576
Also funny that thd mentioned not to use the clamp as a marker - I had done exactly that on a few images believing it to be correctly oriented (whoops!) That caused some of the rings to be a bit off before, but that's fixed. I found a pretty clear-ish gash on the 3rd ring that tells me what side I'm looking at now!

Besides a last pass on the rings one other thing has been giving me trouble - the screw holes. Getting the booster and wind vane screw in the right spot has been a bit annoying.. I model it correctly to one picture but when comparing it to another it's incorrect. I need to find that sweet spot where it works for all of them

And thanks to facebook I found some more pics of this saber if anyone is curious:
View attachment 1288578
View attachment 1288585
(2nd image is thanks to Rudy Villalpando/Spirit of ob1) I tried to find the original source for that one but no luck. It looks like its from the Archives as seen in the Original Prop Blog pics but it doesn't match any of those. Anyone got this one or know the source?

Incredible work

Thanks for that scan The 48th Ronin! I think mine was a picture of a picture. It is a pretty nice pic and I'm glad to have it, I do wish there was another source though. I wonder how many more archive photos there are of this thing...

I'm working on it BRRogers ;)

Thanks for that scan The 48th Ronin! I think mine was a picture of a picture. It is a pretty nice pic and I'm glad to have it, I do wish there was another source though. I wonder how many more archive photos there are of this thing...
No problem (y)

I don't think this pic really reveals anything that isn't already known about it. And I have a feeling that there are quite a few reference pics in the archives (of many different props) that have never been seen, and probably never will be seen

What I want to ask is, about the PCB of v3, it is just a gold-plated piece and then attached with a magnetic tape? Is the tape only wound and then clamped by a clip, or is it cut off and pasted?

What I want to ask is, about the PCB of v3, it is just a gold-plated piece and then attached with a magnetic tape? Is the tape only wound and then clamped by a clip, or is it cut off and pasted?

I’m pretty sure we are now all on board that the clamp card that is in the v3 now is a piece of brass flat stock with black electrical tape strips on it

During production they had a circuit board in there like the ESB graflex and v2

Hi guys, figure its time for an update in this thread. I'm going to re-purpose this thread to be for my general saber projects... Rather than making a new one every time I think of something. I'll try to keep keep things organized and I've updated the first post, keeping the spirit of linking reference pics/timeline/info/etc for each project I end up doing.

The machined V3 itself is at a halt at the moment, mainly because its going to be pretty expensive to machine with all of the parts involved, and I'm hesitant to spend money on something that I'm not sure will even assemble properly due to tolerances and how I modeled it. Fortunately my brother is a mechanical engineer and he said he'd take a look at it 'sometime' lol. The good news is the model is about 99% done. Only thing I need to fix is redo the pommel attachment joint, and that should be pretty easy. This is what the breakdown of parts looks like:

V3pic.png

Anyhow..... I started on *another* project a few months ago and all the parts finally showed up at my doorstep so I rushed to put it together this past weekend. (quite a few things need tweaking still, but I figured its worth a share). An A New Hope-style Barbican/Vader Stunt saber! My first physical saber build in quite some time. I really dig the look of this saber for some reason, especially the weird looking square shroud. (Guess I got a thing for weird stunts) I went for a look that it might have walked off the set of ANH – grips are all randomly angled/not exactly straight, etc. Assuming that the ANH grips got replaced for ESB of course. The tube is actually a bit too long... things to work on but I probably won't fix it anytime soon if I'm being honest.

1 IMG_4463.JPG
2 IMG_4468.JPG
3 IMG_4482.JPG

(wire for fun where it would come out of)

The endcap was machined by a friend, and is based on the severed hand resin cast and the few screenshots of it in ESB with what seems to be an open cap, so I'd wager the plug was added post production to match an MPP. Maybe.

IMG_4469.JPG

OK so the shroud wall is a little too thin and I don't know how I let that slip under the radar. I had it CNCed by one of the shops I was potentially looking at to machine the V3. The dimensions and tolerances were great, the surface finish could have been better. Then again I left it as 'as-machined finish' next time I'll be sure to specify... Now this is the fun part – as I was getting ready to paint it and it fell before my eyes and bounced on concrete :sick: and that's where the dent came from. Coulda tried to fix it but I decided the real one is beat up enough that a few scratches are fine, so I took back some paint afterwards to match. I may try to fix it eventually and redo the paint job

Some more points of note: I bet the real one would have used a toggle switch similar to the Obi stunts as this lamp switch (which took almost 2 months to get here from the UK!) has a fairly large diameter to mount it, and the real hole for the switch is a lot smaller, but I decided to use the lamp switch anyways. Also thanks to Roy/Wannawanga for the extra bit of T-Track for the MPP release greeblie! Really ties the whole thing together, with that sort of 'this is a clearly fake MPP' look.

By actually having this in hand though, I can see why the Vader stunts were finicky. Since there weren't any screws in ANH that we can see, the shroud would be pretty loose on the body and I've managed to tighten it down with a shim, but I imagine if you're swinging this around with a blade you'd have to hold onto it the way Prowse does to keep the shroud from flying off.

Here's a bit of peak at what else I've been working on:

Vaderparts.png

If anyone wants the STLs for the Vader stuff to print for your own Barbican let me know and I'll throw it in a drive. I plan on doing the energizer saber parts next, then maybe DV6. If I can get some accurate measurements for Dooku.. Might keep doing that too and fix all the mistakes.

One final thought - anyone know what happened to the Vader severed hand and resin saber? It was in Bob Burns collection as of 2008, and in the ANH Vader Stunt thread, Mr Alinger posted a pic that can't be found anywhere else, so I'd guess the propstore has it?

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4476 (2).jpg
    IMG_4476 (2).jpg
    7 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Was just wondering about your V3!

Unfortunately high tolerance machining will almost always be cost prohibitive without large order quantities coupled with overseas production. :<

... I still want one

(Haven’t spent a lot of time looking into Vader, but; looks nice and good job!)

If I can guarantee that it'll assemble - I'll definitely see about getting some in the hands of people who want them ;) Still going to be some months out, this year has put me behind on a lot of things. But I am determined to make it happen!

And thanks! the Vader was a fairly quick and simple build, but its nice to finish something haha

Nice work on the Barbican! One of my favorites, and relatively simple to make, no flash tube required!

I like that you went with the full square shroud, too!

I love this. I've been trying to inspect it, can you show us how the shroud tube is attached to the main tube? I assume the pommel is slid up inside the body

Very cool, specially the square shoulder. Add some T track to the front too!

I love Dooku's hilt and have been toying with the idea myself for a potential cast project too. Would love to see a more rough-n-ready, handmade look to it. (Same goes for the Palpy).

Thanks Dann! The Barbican is one of my favorite Vader sabers too. Sometimes the simple builds are real enjoyable, no need to fuss with all the flash internals and such haha

Yep, the pommel slides into the bottom of the tube. The shroud is just pressure fit on there thd! (There's a washer fit in it to mimic the core in it now)
IMG_4486.JPG

Popping it on and off made it loose, even after painting. So I added a small piece of tape to act as a shim. It actually holds on surprisingly well!

I was debating on adding t-track on both sides, but there isn't really an MPP greeblie it would match that was on the hero props. Here's the 3 images were we can actually see the 'neck' of the saber that I've found:
Saber2.jpg
Saber1.jpg
barb 26.PNG

Since the image on the right doesn't have the track on it, I figure that the shroud probably was rotated when replacing a broken blade. Pretty simple to change it up to match the middle picture though:

IMG-7647.JPG

A cast Dooku hilt would be awesome, I'd love to see you do something like that PPP! If I do continue, I'll probably just end up 3D printing it, and maybe chrome plate it in the future. Either way, its been a nice exercise to use a variety of fusion 360 tools that I haven't used yet. I'm finally starting to get the program down!

Hi guys, figure its time for an update in this thread. I'm going to re-purpose this thread to be for my general saber projects... Rather than making a new one every time I think of something. I'll try to keep keep things organized and I've updated the first post, keeping the spirit of linking reference pics/timeline/info/etc for each project I end up doing.

The machined V3 itself is at a halt at the moment, mainly because its going to be pretty expensive to machine with all of the parts involved, and I'm hesitant to spend money on something that I'm not sure will even assemble properly due to tolerances and how I modeled it. Fortunately my brother is a mechanical engineer and he said he'd take a look at it 'sometime' lol. The good news is the model is about 99% done. Only thing I need to fix is redo the pommel attachment joint, and that should be pretty easy. This is what the breakdown of parts looks like:

View attachment 1311018

Anyhow..... I started on *another* project a few months ago and all the parts finally showed up at my doorstep so I rushed to put it together this past weekend. (quite a few things need tweaking still, but I figured its worth a share). An A New Hope-style Barbican/Vader Stunt saber! My first physical saber build in quite some time. I really dig the look of this saber for some reason, especially the weird looking square shroud. (Guess I got a thing for weird stunts) I went for a look that it might have walked off the set of ANH – grips are all randomly angled/not exactly straight, etc. Assuming that the ANH grips got replaced for ESB of course. The tube is actually a bit too long... things to work on but I probably won't fix it anytime soon if I'm being honest.

View attachment 1311019View attachment 1311020View attachment 1311021
(wire for fun where it would come out of)

The endcap was machined by a friend, and is based on the severed hand resin cast and the few screenshots of it in ESB with what seems to be an open cap, so I'd wager the plug was added post production to match an MPP. Maybe.

View attachment 1311022

OK so the shroud wall is a little too thin and I don't know how I let that slip under the radar. I had it CNCed by one of the shops I was potentially looking at to machine the V3. The dimensions and tolerances were great, the surface finish could have been better. Then again I left it as 'as-machined finish' next time I'll be sure to specify... Now this is the fun part – as I was getting ready to paint it and it fell before my eyes and bounced on concrete :sick: and that's where the dent came from. Coulda tried to fix it but I decided the real one is beat up enough that a few scratches are fine, so I took back some paint afterwards to match. I may try to fix it eventually and redo the paint job

Some more points of note: I bet the real one would have used a toggle switch similar to the Obi stunts as this lamp switch (which took almost 2 months to get here from the UK!) has a fairly large diameter to mount it, and the real hole for the switch is a lot smaller, but I decided to use the lamp switch anyways. Also thanks to Roy/Wannawanga for the extra bit of T-Track for the MPP release greeblie! Really ties the whole thing together, with that sort of 'this is a clearly fake MPP' look.

By actually having this in hand though, I can see why the Vader stunts were finicky. Since there weren't any screws in ANH that we can see, the shroud would be pretty loose on the body and I've managed to tighten it down with a shim, but I imagine if you're swinging this around with a blade you'd have to hold onto it the way Prowse does to keep the shroud from flying off.

Here's a bit of peak at what else I've been working on:

View attachment 1311032

If anyone wants the STLs for the Vader stuff to print for your own Barbican let me know and I'll throw it in a drive. I plan on doing the energizer saber parts next, then maybe DV6. If I can get some accurate measurements for Dooku.. Might keep doing that too and fix all the mistakes.

One final thought - anyone know what happened to the Vader severed hand and resin saber? It was in Bob Burns collection as of 2008, and in the ANH Vader Stunt thread, Mr Alinger posted a pic that can't be found anywhere else, so I'd guess the propstore has it?

I freakin love this!!! Wicked job!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back