LOM's Saber Projects: V3, V2, Buck, ANH-Barbican (new!), & Dooku(s)!

Thanks Goodie2325! It's been a bit since I've bumped this thread (last June?! wow), but the first post is more or less up to date for progress on the V3 - and some other fun projects I've done on the side these past few months :)

Thanks all!

danvader - Unfortunately for the foreseeable future, I don't see myself releasing files for the V3, the V2, and the buck - sorry! I've poured waaay to much time into those models this past year ha. The V3 will happen though(!) and the buck - I'm going to try to do some experiments with first ;)

I'll likely throw up the Dooku hilt and some Vader stunt parts for download at some point when I'm completely happy with them though!

Your saber models are great. However, the Dooku model that you are referencing was not plated in brass. It was a vacuum metalized hero, that over 15 years has yellowed (specifically the old top coat of lacquer on the vacuum metalizing process has caused it to have a yellow tint in contrast to the aluminum bayonet).

Thanks for the correction on that bit Anakin Starkiller! That makes much more sense - since the stunts were vacuum metalized too. So it was initially a silver color? Man, time is not kind to any original saber. Though I actually do quite like the goldish look for Dooku!

Here's a pic that I like. The gang's all here!
View attachment 1429869 View attachment 1429870
From left to right: V2, V3, Buck.

I feel so vindicated right now. Really, great work on modeling these! Especially on the buck. There were some parts I had to simplify myself on my model because my 3D app just isn't sophisticated enough to render them without issue (or flat out could not have done). I'm really glad that you, and now others, can see them too. I do think there's a size disparity somewhere between your V3 or Buck model (although it may just be due to the wooden master shrinking over time). When machined from a cast, the V3 is just about shorter than the V2 and that's including the stop gap between the V2's pommel and booster. The V3 does have a slightly longer clamp section than the V2 and, therefore, a slightly shorter booster. In comparison to the V2's pommel, they'd look almost the same but the clamp section on the V3 would look a longer.

Thanks PPP! Yeah there's some really weird geometries that cover the buck, I really wanted to add those in ha!

Regarding the size discrepancy between the buck and V3 - I've noted that but I do have a theory that I'm poking around with. Though I'm hoping to do some more research and maybe have something physical before I share that.

Also! I wouldn't put to much stock in my V2! lol. There are certainly millimeters all over it in the wrong places. The booster and emitter are the 2 parts that I am most uncertain on when it comes to size and I don't really have motivation to keep updating it and scaling. (I think this was pass 5 or 6 of the V2? The V3 is on revision 100+ or something so it certainly isn't as refined).

Last edited:
Hi guys, figure its time for an update in this thread. I'm going to re-purpose this thread to be for my general saber projects... Rather than making a new one every time I think of something. I'll try to keep keep things organized and I've updated the first post, keeping the spirit of linking reference pics/timeline/info/etc for each project I end up doing.

The machined V3 itself is at a halt at the moment, mainly because its going to be pretty expensive to machine with all of the parts involved, and I'm hesitant to spend money on something that I'm not sure will even assemble properly due to tolerances and how I modeled it. Fortunately my brother is a mechanical engineer and he said he'd take a look at it 'sometime' lol. The good news is the model is about 99% done. Only thing I need to fix is redo the pommel attachment joint, and that should be pretty easy. This is what the breakdown of parts looks like:

View attachment 1311018

Anyhow..... I started on *another* project a few months ago and all the parts finally showed up at my doorstep so I rushed to put it together this past weekend. (quite a few things need tweaking still, but I figured its worth a share). An A New Hope-style Barbican/Vader Stunt saber! My first physical saber build in quite some time. I really dig the look of this saber for some reason, especially the weird looking square shroud. (Guess I got a thing for weird stunts) I went for a look that it might have walked off the set of ANH – grips are all randomly angled/not exactly straight, etc. Assuming that the ANH grips got replaced for ESB of course. The tube is actually a bit too long... things to work on but I probably won't fix it anytime soon if I'm being honest.

View attachment 1311019View attachment 1311020View attachment 1311021
(wire for fun where it would come out of)

The endcap was machined by a friend, and is based on the severed hand resin cast and the few screenshots of it in ESB with what seems to be an open cap, so I'd wager the plug was added post production to match an MPP. Maybe.

View attachment 1311022

OK so the shroud wall is a little too thin and I don't know how I let that slip under the radar. I had it CNCed by one of the shops I was potentially looking at to machine the V3. The dimensions and tolerances were great, the surface finish could have been better. Then again I left it as 'as-machined finish' next time I'll be sure to specify... Now this is the fun part – as I was getting ready to paint it and it fell before my eyes and bounced on concrete :sick: and that's where the dent came from. Coulda tried to fix it but I decided the real one is beat up enough that a few scratches are fine, so I took back some paint afterwards to match. I may try to fix it eventually and redo the paint job

Some more points of note: I bet the real one would have used a toggle switch similar to the Obi stunts as this lamp switch (which took almost 2 months to get here from the UK!) has a fairly large diameter to mount it, and the real hole for the switch is a lot smaller, but I decided to use the lamp switch anyways. Also thanks to Roy/Wannawanga for the extra bit of T-Track for the MPP release greeblie! Really ties the whole thing together, with that sort of 'this is a clearly fake MPP' look.

By actually having this in hand though, I can see why the Vader stunts were finicky. Since there weren't any screws in ANH that we can see, the shroud would be pretty loose on the body and I've managed to tighten it down with a shim, but I imagine if you're swinging this around with a blade you'd have to hold onto it the way Prowse does to keep the shroud from flying off.

Here's a bit of peak at what else I've been working on:

View attachment 1311032

If anyone wants the STLs for the Vader stuff to print for your own Barbican let me know and I'll throw it in a drive. I plan on doing the energizer saber parts next, then maybe DV6. If I can get some accurate measurements for Dooku.. Might keep doing that too and fix all the mistakes.

One final thought - anyone know what happened to the Vader severed hand and resin saber? It was in Bob Burns collection as of 2008, and in the ANH Vader Stunt thread, Mr Alinger posted a pic that can't be found anywhere else, so I'd guess the propstore has it?

Hey Just joined a week ago so sorry for bumping an old thread but I'd love STLs for Barbican and energizer if you got them. :)

LOM- he’s still around; I believe he just took a hiatus from the boards with life being quite busy… many of his long standing research projects were essentially ‘solved’ so I think that’s part of why we haven’t seen him around much. LOM we miss you buddy come back soon :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back