LOM's Saber Projects: V3, V2, Buck, ANH-Barbican (new!), & Dooku(s)!

I'm closer to thinking that, but the GRUB SCREWS could always be on the other side *facpalm

Do my eyes deceive me? I think I see the lengthwise lines from the wood grain in the black lower neck. Like, the lines from the buck

Guys what are the chances that this is not the ROTJ emitter, but another leftover piece tooled up to fit onto this hilt. Why clean up the body but not the emitter? Set screws don't match, has different clean-up and a different nipple set-up. I mean, I know they did work to it in post, but what if this is a cobbled together (not matching) set of cast parts...

The Warehouse saber, ESB obi wan practice stunt saber, death saber, etc. none seem to match the V3 exquisitely, not until the rehearsal of the pickup shot with Vader and Luke.

That's a killer V3 Dann! Did you use tape on the neck to get that effect that we see on the V3 as it is today? I haven't too many people try and capture that, and it looks great!

I found this image on here somewhere in a thread, and I don't think there's any denying it was just tape looking at this:
View attachment 1285398
You can even see it peeling/wrinkling at the edges where it meets the clamp!
Yep! I remember seeing this pic and that other one you linked, back when I made my brass cards. They're what convinced me that it was just a brass strip with tape, in the first place!

And yeah, I just used foil tape for the neck detail.

Halliwax - I agree its quite weird, I think the 5mm grub screw shows up in about 3(?) of the photos besides the visual dictionary one, and almost always at the edge of the picture. I think there's enough shots of inside the emitter to say there isn't any 3mm screws too, but there could be just really thick paint

thd - I'll reply in the V3 theory thread to keep it organized, I have a few ideas too to build off of what you've got!

Dann - the tape really works! One detail that wont be possible to capture with machining is that, so I'll probably end up using tape on the neck as well.

Also as a tangent, I figure I should try and keep a list of sources of those images just in case so I'll add that in the first post

Halliwax - I agree its quite weird, I think the 5mm grub screw shows up in about 3(?) of the photos besides the visual dictionary one, and almost always at the edge of the picture. I think there's enough shots of inside the emitter to say there isn't any 3mm screws too, but there could be just really thick paint

thd - I'll reply in the V3 theory thread to keep it organized, I have a few ideas too to build off of what you've got!

Dann - the tape really works! One detail that wont be possible to capture with machining is that, so I'll probably end up using tape on the neck as well.

Also as a tangent, I figure I should try and keep a list of sources of those images just in case so I'll add that in the first post

Can you show me the pictures you’re talking about?

Halliwax Turns out - its in 5 images!

22 lukestunt11.jpg

Here its barely visible, but you can see the light in it at the bottom

26 P1010064-1 (2).jpg

Visible here pretty well

49 16308736730_b7ef9bda70_o.jpg

Visible up top here

50 May 2008 068.jpg

visible here too!

and finally.. I *think* you can see it here, barely though:
60 news-082807g.jpg

Last edited:
I am obsessed with the 5mm screw in the emitter during its time in RoTJ because I am curious of how it was attached to the blade/hilt

We know it had gaffers tape at one time, but it had to have more then that

Every b&w photo we have doesn’t show the emitter screw :(

Ahhhhh I see now lol

I don't think I've got anything on that yet unfortunately... Here's a thought though - if the emitter was wrapped with aluminum tape during RotJ, there wasn't really a reason to punch a hole in it to remove the blade till after the stunts were done.. I need to take a closer look at the black and white photos real quick

Ahhhhh I see now lol

I don't think I've got anything on that yet unfortunately... Here's a thought though - if the emitter was wrapped with aluminum tape during RotJ, there wasn't really a reason to punch a hole in it to remove the blade till after the stunts were done.. I need to take a closer look at the black and white photos real quick

Not tape until early 2000s when it went into space

She still rocked her ANH paint job in ESB and rotj

Or what was left of it lol

Again... that was NOT when & why it was "refurbished." It was originally "spruced up" for the exhibition that toured Japan starting in 1993.

I do this every time! lol sorry

I think is the 3rd time you’ve corrected me. I think you just need to start slapping me with a ruler :p

Honestly man. I’m
Gonna try, some people don’t get it but i remember things by numbers. My example is 10 off.. I thought it was 2003, you mentioned 1993

I gotta drill this in now lol next time slap me!
Maybe we can get Simone Giertz to build a slapping robot that I can trigger here alllllllll the way across the country. :p

Small update for now... The first post has been updated to be useful for anyone venturing to make a V3 or know its history. (If any of the dates are wrong or I missed something let me know)

I think I've finally got the grenade rings dialed in! Maybe one or two spots that I'm about to touch up. Here's what it looks like now, though it doesn't look like a lot has changed

Saber 4193.JPG

Some checks on on the rings:

Saber4191.JPG

Saber4192.JPG

Also funny that thd mentioned not to use the clamp as a marker - I had done exactly that on a few images believing it to be correctly oriented (whoops!) That caused some of the rings to be a bit off before, but that's fixed. I found a pretty clear-ish gash on the 3rd ring that tells me what side I'm looking at now!

Besides a last pass on the rings one other thing has been giving me trouble - the screw holes. Getting the booster and wind vane screw in the right spot has been a bit annoying.. I model it correctly to one picture but when comparing it to another it's incorrect. I need to find that sweet spot where it works for all of them

And thanks to facebook I found some more pics of this saber if anyone is curious:
10392243_527624420483_1882589_n.jpg

20799275_1086581941475693_6705517132628189251_n.jpg

(2nd image is thanks to Rudy Villalpando/Spirit of ob1) I tried to find the original source for that one but no luck. It looks like its from the Archives as seen in the Original Prop Blog pics but it doesn't match any of those. Anyone got this one or know the source?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back