HariboHeron

Hello all,

I'm new to the RPF (literally joined today) but i'm obsessed with the prop of the Loki Mask from the 1997 movie "The Mask" starring Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz. I have collected many replicas over the years from the likes of Ebay, Etsy, Reelart and most recently Instagram. The prop replicas that I have acquired from said instagram page are by far the best ive seen currently and also the cheapest. But there is one thing I am missing and desiring for my collection...

An actual Loki mask made of wood with a metal nose piece.

Now i've seen other makers make a wooden Loki mask which do look amazing however they do not look like the original piece. Thats why I am looking for information on whether there is anyone out there who could look at say, a resin replica of the mask, and be able to carve an exact replica into wood (size shape and detail) along with also casting the metal nose exactly like the prop.

This could even be a two person job, an excellent carpenter and blacksmith would be required or the multi talents of one individual?

Ive seen alot of prop makers strive to make replicas exactly as they would be in real life (for example a fantasy gun modelled off a real gun, therefore the maker would acquire the actual make of gun and build around it, so that the replica has the exact weight as to what it would be like in the movie) and I feel the same way about this mask.

If there is someone out there that could help me out please let me know!

to be fair i dont think the screen used one was made out of wood and metal?

however i know exactly what youre saying... having a prop replica made out of the material it was INTENDED to be made out of, regardless of how they actually did it for the film is the goal.

the tertiary detail on the screen used mask is vast... id be interested to know if carving this mask out of a solid piece of wood to the level of detail thats required, at the proper scale is even feasible at a reasonable price?

This is a thing I want to make one day, didn't make so much search for now, because it's not very easy to get reference pictures, I only have propshop sales and screenshots for now.
But I want to make a loki mask from wood and metal, also a arumbaya statue from tintin btw.*
One problem is the L on the front metal piece, is is relief carving, deep, not deep, flat it seems several versions exist, my guess is the round shape is small piece and there is a hole filled with it, could explain the depth variation.
Other issue, I would say main issue, is wood grain on the mask is not very realistic on some ways it can still be carved, as I did for some potter wands, not realistic too, but one other ways the mask is also realistic as there is a knot on one side, to be a perfect match it would require the same knot at same place, or at least a knot possible to use and get identical result once carved.
I did same for my potter wand, used existing knots on handle.
Last thing is weathering, the mask seem to have brown, pinkinsh and green shades, not realistic, I wanted to make one, but putting it several years outside to get a natural patina (and rust), this could be done artificially, maybe, not sure, coloring can be done, but it won't get same aspect as a mask spending years under water.

I wanted to buy a prod cast replica, but didn't find it, then I moved to other things, but the folder is still somewhere in my computer.

Last edited:
Infinity Collection Studios is offering this hand carved wood one... only 50 being made.

originally was going to have the nose piece fabricated out of metal but apparently couldnt make it work/fit properly so the entire piece will be carved out of wood and the nose piece will be painted with a metal finish.

LokiMask.PNG

If you check out their instagram account @infinity_.collection they have more WIP photos.

It's still early days on their prototype but they do a good job of consistent updates.

Their jumanji board is stunning.

Thanks...yes they make great pieces..but I´m not really an expert for the other props they make.And how accurate they really are.

Hope the Lokimask will be great at the end. :)

Did they said something about the price of the mask?

Yes...the overall look is good...but the round part with the L looks not so detailed like the original.Also all the very small details and lines from the real prop.I know thats impossible to copy in real wood.But I would prefer a more accurate look made from fiberglass.

Yes...the overall look is good...but the round part with the L looks not so detailed like the original.Also all the very small details and lines from the real prop.I know thats impossible to copy in real wood.But I would prefer a more accurate look made from fiberglass.
True I agree... But I won't lie, holding a mask carved out of a solid piece of wood is very appealing.

What do you think about ReelFX one?

True I agree... But I won't lie, holding a mask carved out of a solid piece of wood is very appealing.

What do you think about ReelFX one?
Yes that another point.Thats why I love my windlass Ironman props...not 100% accurate..but when you touch it its another level of quality like all this new chinese IM props together.:)

ReelFX?Do you mean Reel art?

Yes that another point.Thats why I love my windlass Ironman props...not 100% accurate..but when you touch it its another level of quality like all this new chinese IM props together.:)

ReelFX?Do you mean Reel art?
Yeah sorry the ReelArt one.

Infinity Collection Studios is offering this hand carved wood one... only 50 being made.

originally was going to have the nose piece fabricated out of metal but apparently couldnt make it work/fit properly so the entire piece will be carved out of wood and the nose piece will be painted with a metal finish.

View attachment 1362580
That is probably the closest I've seen tbh. Great work from infinity collection! I think i might just have to learn how to carve etc and try myself!

To Reelart: If he really had a screenused mask to make that he should show the source and proof that it was really screenused.;)
He casts them from his replica mold that was directly taken from the original prop in the movie. It is the real deal. I've got 2 of his but by the time I get all of them including the comics version and a lightweight foam version, I'll have 10 of them all together.

He casts them from his replica mold that was directly taken from the original prop in the movie. It is the real deal. I've got 2 of his but by the time I get all of them including the comics version and a lightweight foam version, I'll have 10 of them all together.
The Reelart is off supposedly if irrc.

The maker of the Mask used in the film is here maybe he will chime in

The Reelart is off supposedly if irrc.

The maker of the Mask used in the film is here maybe he will chime in
Trust me, I am 100% certain that he used a original prop to make a mold for making casts. He emailed me a few days ago and he has it described in the description of the props.

Trust me, I am 100% certain that he used a original prop to make a mold for making casts. He emailed me a few days ago and he has it described in the description of the props.
As I posted before the Maker of the Mask in the Movie is a member here and can tell in a second if the Reelart mask was cast from a Production made mask.

You are new here but this has been covered before, do a search

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back